Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 6:11 pm    Post subject: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Took my 1991 syncro to La Paz recently to drop of with Shane Jordan's place for body work, paint, and some odds and ends. No mechanical issues on way down - longest trip to date - about 2k. Van has rebuilt WBX to 2.3 from orginal owner with 18k miles on the motor. Van has 94k miles on it.

Driving on a hot and gusty day we heard a boom. I thought my extra table fell off the ceiling bracket way back. I slowed, spouse goes to look. Nope - but our skylight somehow (turbulence?) got ripped off it's moorings and now lives in the desert somewhere.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Good trip, some fun sights. Can't wait to get back their for a more leisurely trip on the way back.

Agenda:
Valley of the Rouge SP
Los Banos Reservoir SP
LA with friends to pick up spouse
Anza Boraga
San Fliepie
Bjia De Los Angles
San Ignaacio
Mulege
La Paz

Guys on the Baja 1000 pre-race reconaissance.
Corwyn Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Love that shot of the lighthouse. Mulege is usually my destination - Don Chano's is beautiful. I'll be there in late February.
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604813&highlight=baja

"If anything's" gonna happen, it's gonna happen out there"
~ Captain Ron ~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Corwyn wrote:
Love that shot of the lighthouse. Mulege is usually my destination - Don Chano's is beautiful. I'll be there in late February.

That Raceway Bar nearby makes a stiff margarita!
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:00 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Replace that blown off vent/skylight with a MaxxAir fan. They are great.
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Wow that's "minor" Exclamation

Don't you have to cut lots of fibreglas to fit a maxxair?

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
Microbusdeluxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

I put the Maxxair in my hightop which is flat on top without the poptop's ribs and valleys. Here's a link to the installation on a poptop. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=732736
'81 Westy sold
'89 hightop Westy Joker syncro 16" now with Bostig!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

I’d love to see progress pictures of your van as it progresses along.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

16CVs wrote:
I’d love to see progress pictures of your van as it progresses along.

Stacy

Will do
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Sodo wrote:
Wow that's "minor" Exclamation

Don't you have to cut lots of fibreglas to fit a maxxair?

Hell yea minor! Nothing mechanical, didn't disrupt the trip or leave us stuck somewhere remote. I'll take it. Easily replaced.

And yea, passing on that maxxair thing.
Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2023 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Let's face it, if you have enough duct tape, every incident is minor ...

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DeLvxe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing this and keeping us updated. Also from Seattle and thinking about doing the same (someday) although I'm a little afraid of new shiny paint to mess up.

Are you also having interior repainted? Having any panels replaced? How long do you expect it will take for the paint job.?

Thanks
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

DeLvxe wrote:
Thanks for sharing this and keeping us updated. Also from Seattle and thinking about doing the same (someday) although I'm a little afraid of new shiny paint to mess up.

Are you also having interior repainted? Having any panels replaced? How long do you expect it will take for the paint job.?

Thanks

Yea, bug splatter on way home - but heck, these things are made to be used. My main motivation was to get some dings and dents fixed and catching some early seam rust in two places. But Shane's group will do a whole, windows-out, new seals and paint and body work for about the quarter of the price estimate I got up in Seattle area (3x) for just fixing the dents on one side .

Keeping same color - which is recommended, not painting interior. It's not a rush job thing - likely done late February.

Shane can ship your newly painted van in a container (for about $600?) to Tijuana if you prefer.

No panels replaced but front corner dent, pushed in slinding door panel, and maybe cutout part of upper slider cover, and rear fender well.

Since I took out factory fridge they're removing the outside vent. A bunch of odds and ends while it's there - new CV joints/boots, new compressor for ac and removing the vent system, new tent for popup.
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2023 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Klister wrote:
DeLvxe wrote:

Thanks

Yea, bug splatter on way home - but heck, these things are made to be used. My main motivation was to get some dings and dents fixed and catching some early seam rust in two places. But Shane's group will do a whole, windows-out, new seals and paint and body work for about the quarter of the price estimate I got up in Seattle area (3x) for just fixing the dents on one side .

Keeping same color - which is recommended, not painting interior. It's not a rush job thing - likely done late February.

Shane can ship your newly painted van in a container (for about $600?) to Tijuana if you prefer.

No panels replaced but front corner dent, pushed in slinding door panel, and maybe cutout part of upper slider cover, and rear fender well.

Since I took out factory fridge they're removing the outside vent. A bunch of odds and ends while it's there - new CV joints/boots, new compressor for ac and removing the vent system, new tent for popup.

I paid to have my trucked to Tijuana to avoid the sand blasting that was bound to happen after a brand new paint job. It can be pretty windy in Baja Feb/March, so take that into consideration. I am very happy with the job.
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Got to ask, What was your total cost for a windows out respray? And how long did it take?
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Kdj wrote:
Got to ask, What was your total cost for a windows out respray? And how long did it take?

Paint and bodywork (moderate amount, no big rust items, one big dent in slider, dings here and there, remove fridge vent) - windows out, $8k. I just dropped it off last week, likely will pick up end of February.
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 12:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Body work has started in La Paz, windows will soon be removed.

Tobias Duncan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Do yourself a favor and hit Tacos Estadio.
Sometimes they even have an amazing fish soup

https://g.co/kgs/heDr4m
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Sir Klister, make sure they remove the squirters, they're kind of a bitch if you loose the hose. But masking things like end up with peeling paint and when you do replace them you end up with a paint line.

I also cut the rubber shaft seal off and then put them back on as half a seal. Once you put that big washer on and the nut its going to seal.

It's the small details that make a paint jib nice. The other common short cut I see is not taking the rear bumper brackets off and painting around them. Male sure they remove them and not mask them and have them painted when off.

Will they paint the door handle and wiper arms as well? Makr them give you 360 views of the van before paint.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Schuylersister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Klister wrote:
Corwyn wrote:

Man you are right about the stiff margaritas. Couldn't even walk after one of them. After a bit of food and time I was able to walk back to Don Chano's. Much better food and drink downtown.
gtinseth Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2023 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Seattle to La Paz - only one minor incident Reply with quote

Schuylersister wrote:
Klister wrote:
Corwyn wrote:

Man you are right about the stiff margaritas. Couldn't even walk after one of them. After a bit of food and time I was able to walk back to Don Chano's. Much better food and drink downtown.

The Racing Bar is right across the river from our little place. We can hear hooting and hollering some nights. It's a very sweet and welcoming little town. We fell in love with it a couple of years ago, and found a casita that fit our budget. Lots of community activities and ways to get involved if you want to. Lots of fun having the Syncro down there.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: