Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Trip to New Hampshire
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:55 pm    Post subject: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Now that my Van is running I want to do a test drive before I head to Indiana for the eclipse.
I have a friend I wish to see who lives up on the Vermont / New Hampshire border.

I'm thinking this trip will be soon, maybe the end of this week. My Wife has a birthday get together I need to be at on Sunday........ I really should let him know of my pending plans!

I'm not one to take the Interstates or toll roads if I can avoid it.

I can actually save 2 hours if I do take the Interstates.... but just shoot me now!
That Path between Newark NJ and Hartford Conn? Oh that's just hell in a car!

I'm thinking of this path..... a lot of it is familiar roadway, I used to live in the Poconos and have frequent visited family in the Catskills.
But once you get above Kingston NY it becomes infrequently visited landscape.

This path is about 8 1/2 hours each way.
Part of me is nervous about the journey...... it's a old age thing where you worry more about the what if's ....... I'll probably pack a spare Van to take with me!

I've traveled those shorter/faster suggested routes in the past..... no thank you very much!

Any suggestions?
Areas to avoid?
Must see spots?
Anyone to call should the need arise?

I'll probably be alone, maybe my dog but that's up in the air........ he's a pup, his travel skills are untested though he does LOVE a car ride!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

you will most certainly enjoy the 'longer route' vs that section of hell I mean highway.

nothing wrong on any of that route. I've driven those roads many a times.

but your going to want to get closer to the NY/VT border than at Albany/Troy.. that's just another layer of hell there.
Cross over the Hudson at Kingston and catch NY9 or the Taconic parkway to points north.
NYRoute 22 and MA/VT Rt7 are both a joy to drive
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:

I'm thinking this trip will be soon, maybe the end of this week. My Wife has a birthday get together I need to be at on Sunday........ I really should let him know of my pending plans!. NOT A BAD IDEA.
I can actually save 2 hours if I do take the Interstates.... but just shoot me now!
That Path between Newark NJ and Hartford Conn? Oh that's just hell in a car!

I'm thinking of this path..... a lot of it is familiar roadway, I used to live in the Poconos and have frequent visited family in the Catskills.
But once you get above Kingston NY it becomes infrequently visited landscape.

Areas to avoid? I 95 WEST OF NEW HAVEN, CT.

17 HOURS IS QUITE A BIT TO PUT ON FOR A TEST DRIVE.

Last edited by DuncanS on Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
mtnhome Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Looks like you're going up to Hanover. My son went to school there. I always enjoyed visiting since its beautiful country.
Definitely go the slow way, I try to avoid the turnpikes if possible. I'm sure your van will do well. You're not THAT old and it keeps us young to launch off on trips knowing that things might get interesting.
Looking forward to a trip report.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
CTSkim
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

91 from Hartford up thru Springfield is really pretty easy traveling. It’s the NY border to 91 in New Haven that makes me want to jump off a bridge…

Once your through Springfield there’s Plenty of nice exits to pull off if you’ve got an issue… it’s my preferred route if I were heading to the white mountains.

There’s probably a few routes you could take once your in Ma to bypass the highway as well.

If I’m remembering the route correctly you can pretty much ditch 91 in greenfield Ma, take rt2 west, to 112 north all the way to 100 in west Dover VT. I took that home from West River Westies this summer.
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

danfromsyr wrote:
you will most certainly enjoy the 'longer route' vs that section of hell I mean highway.

nothing wrong on any of that route. I've driven those roads many a times.

but your going to want to get closer to the NY/VT border than at Albany/Troy.. that's just another layer of hell there.
Cross over the Hudson at Kingston and catch NY9 or the Taconic parkway to points north.
NYRoute 22 and MA/VT Rt7 are both a joy to drive

Great tip!

Thanks! Just the kind of info I'm looking for!

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Great tips! Keep them coming!
Thanks

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
xoo00oox
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Stop in and say hello! You’re welcome to camp out at my place.
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

I95 CT unadulterated Hell. That 6 hour promise time will die in 2-3 hours of accident on that route.

Cross at Kingston and route 9 or Taconic, keep it at 55 mph there for both Safety and Smokey.

Albany is full of Wankers, best avoided, except for Cardonas Deli on Delaware and Mancusos, also on Delaware

Route 2 over the pass to Mass, then north into VT and pass the big VW place on the border for spare parts that got stolen in Albany
JohnL99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Never had it, but One of these days I have to try New Haven Connecticut “Apizza”. Doesnt look like it’s on your preferred way though.
Chilepines
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2024 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

You’re heading to our neck of the woods. I think your route looks good and totally endorse the backroad route.
We’ll be out of town but you’re welcome to camp at our place - we live in the woods about 1/2 hr from Dartmouth. PM me if you’re interested.

Norm
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

You are getting pretty close to Jay, for whom I recommend the company and the PigsFoot Porter
danfromsyr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

there are some REAL DECENT ascents when you cross MA and or VT.. the Mtn ridges are North south orientated so you go up/down then east west..

if you try the Connecticut river valley that is the VT/NH border stop by John's Car Corner.. it's a little bit of old VW shop.
https://maps.app.goo.gl/DE62wYjsWT8DCRNCA

Numerous covered bridges. but the Windsor to Cornish covered bridge spans the VT/NH border..
https://maps.app.goo.gl/8jL3cgveVhUyZebLA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

On the way north, The Vermont Country Deli in Brattleboro is legendary, and right off I 91.

I agree with Abscate. Stay away from 95 in CT/NY at all costs. Same for 78 in PA/NJ. Terrible roads, construction, bad driving, tolls, etc etc. White knuckle time for sure. Sorry if I missed it in previous posts, but what about the Taconic Parkway? Also, if you stray farther east in MA, feel free to PM and stop by in Groton. You are welcome to crash in your van down by the river.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DuncanS
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2024 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Chilepines wrote:
You’re heading to our neck of the woods. I think your route looks good and totally endorse the backroad route.
We’ll be out of town but ....
Norm
Darn, I was hoping the three of us could get together. Skiing is pretty much done here. Skiway closed. The big boys are still open, but we're thinking maple syrup and daffodils now.

Duncan
WM971252
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

I am not sure what the part from 84 to 87 on your route is but the rest is good for what I see. I live in eastern CT and drive for a living (pulling a single car trailer) and I will not drive on 95 in CT unless I have to or it is dark (have driven most of the "long" route (cant be on the Delaware river valley gap) and it fine. Also note that time posted online are not accounting for any traffic issues, which there will be any time you are on 95 in the daylight.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Alaskaberrys Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

I drove a U-Haul loaded with wood fired gasification boilers from just north of Hanover two September's ago heading to Alaska ferry in Bellingham. Took 4 west from West Lebanon then 7 SW to Alabany at Rutland. I knew this was going to be the only non-freeway part of the trip - and it was the best part. Little traffic and beautiful area. Just not long enough! And really wanted to be driving our westy. Enjoy!
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Due to scheduling issues, The trip is delayed, hopefully not for long.

Ghia

Vanagon

Beetle
dieseltdi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2024 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

Wife and I are headed to Maine from Texas at the end of April. Unfortunately not in the westy but I am still looking forward to the trip in my sportwagen TDI. Maine will be the last of the lower 48 states for me to visit.
2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI
Way too many previously owned to list!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Trip to New Hampshire Reply with quote

dieseltdi wrote:
Wife and I are headed to Maine from Texas at the end of April. Unfortunately not in the westy but I am still looking forward to the trip in my sportwagen TDI. Maine will be the last of the lower 48 states for me to visit.

Nice! Congrats on the full house!

Quote:
Also note that time posted online are not accounting for any traffic issues, which there will be any time you are on 95 in the daylight.[/s]

FTFY

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: