Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:25 pm    Post subject: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

Hello Vanagon Enthusiasts!

I have a 1981 Vanagon Westfaila and the pop top does not seem to close properly.
It laches well and all, but the seal just does not really contact the luggage rack properly. Additionally when I look at the pop top, it almost seems as if it is bent upwards in the middle by the latch.

some photos:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Inside it looks normal to me. Yes I need to scrub the mold off of it still. I bought it that way; it hasn't gotten any worse since I've owned it.

Is this normal? Is there something I can do to fix this if it is not normal? And, how could I get the seal to seal better?

Thank you!
VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly....bent in the middle? Reply with quote

Do you have a photo on the longitudinal axis? That is, for example, from the back of the van towards the front. This way would better show if the centre section is higher than the sides.
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

I tried to get pictures, and they just weren't able to capture the issue well. I made a video instead.

Link

hihorn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

I am following this thread as I have it too. Slightly more so than yours.
Timwhy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 2:47 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

You may be able to adjustment the latch down with these two bolts on the back of the latch. My top wouldn't close properly after a canvas install and these did the trick.

'91 Tin Top
'90 Cabby
What the Westy wants the Westy GETS

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_search.php?search_author=Timwhy&show_results=summary

http://www.youtube.com/user/TIMWHY2?feature=mhee
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 3:36 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

Are there any signs of hair line cracks?

Hard to believe but people have been known to walk on these tops.

Plus a Winter snow load can be significant if ones allows the snow to build up over the Winter.
These vehicles really should be cleaned off if you are prone to heavy snowfall.

There aren't any supports built in across the span.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MarkWard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:09 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

Possibly unrelated, but the texture coat on the exterior doesn’t look factory. Between that and the mold, it indicates the top has had a hard life. Many reasons it could have deformed. It’s probably solvable, but I’d start with removing the seals so you can see the gaps.
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

There look to maybe be some hairline cracks in the paint, but it is hard to tell if that’s just the paint underneath (top was repainted by the last owner) or fiberglass.

The top definitely has had a hard life. 30+ years daily in the California sun. Then it also had a heavy roof rack on it for many years. It also had the hardware upgraded to stainless preventing the pop top from closing properly as it interfered with the rear hinges. It was parked that way for 8 years before I bought it.

Definitely a chance something got deformed in its previous life.
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

If i dont roll up the canvas tight behind that latch I will get a bulge like that. Not sure if its the same issue. But roll the canvas into a tight roll before you tuck it behind the latch and try to flatten it out. I have a sunbrella canvas.
E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

Could be wrong but I honestly think what you’re seeing is per design.

If the middle was errantly high, the seal would be, too — but only in the middle.

We have that same seal and do think it rides higher. We also get air coming in at the corners and inflating the tent, but am leaning towards the issue being the bed linens being packed rear of the folded bed — and pushing the roof up a little at the rear.

Timwhy’s comment about latch adjustment warrants investigation, very curious…

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
PDXWesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

Looks pretty good to me too. The seal should take care of any irregularities and it looks like the seal is lying flat on the luggage rack. Probably as good as it's going to get on a 40 year old vehicle.

The bulge is also right where you push up on the top every time you open it. It may have also slightly deformed over the years.
Crooked Designer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

probably an obvious thing, but worth checking to make sure the tent is rolled properly and not bunched up between the latch and the luggage rack. That could cause the fiberglass to flex up if there's a knot of tent under it. How hard is it to latch when you pull the top down?
OlisGarage
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

Thanks to all of the responses.

A little bit more info.

E1, there currently are no bed linens present. All that is removed. So I don't think it could be that. However, yes I will look at latch adjustment a bit.

Mark, I think I will do that next. I have some new seals that I want to install anyways.

djkeev, here are some photos. yes there are cracks. At some point the top was painted. These cracks are not visible inside. Excuse the dirt. I have been sandblasting rust repairs.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Yesterday 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Pop Top not closing properly... bent in the middle? Reply with quote

What I meant was if there was any history of the rear ever being “forced higher” over time, the rear of the roof might be higher than when new.

I don’t know how close the rear of the roof should be, above the paint, but ours is maybe an inch high. I have no proof but I think the stock height is flush or slightly higher, and we have old paint abrasions that seem to bear this out.

We have some awning eyelets in the lower-rear poptop, Ahem, “scissor bracket” holes that might have us riding higher, but our first van didn’t and still did — so to speak. Wink

All to say if your roof is high at the rear, that complicates the front sealing.

— Colin Chapman
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: