Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Front tires rubbing
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
weekendr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 7:13 am    Post subject: Front tires rubbing Reply with quote

A while back I had GoWesty zero lift springs and Bilsteins installed in front, plus a spacer on driver's side to level the van. They wouldn't align well so shop installed ball joint spacers. Actual lift was about 1.5". I put 215/70/16s on my GoWesty 16" steelies at the same time. Never any rubbing.

Then I switched to CIP1 16" alloys with fresh Michelin 215/70/16s. Now they rub very hard at the lower rear corner of the wheel arch on both sides under compression while turning (braking into a bump or exiting driveway). I assume the CIPs must have a different ET than the steelies.

Is there anything I can do to the front suspension to prevent the wheel from moving rearward under this type of load?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

E1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Front tires rubbing Reply with quote

We run those same wheels, but with 215/65-16s.

As I sit here looking at our van from your photo angle, yours are clearly a larger diameter by what seems like an inch.

I don’t know, but wonder if 70 is too high… I’m not even sure that is a recommended size but am only speculating here.

Our BFG KO2s are right at 27” in diameter, how much higher than that are yours?

— Colin Chapman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sgtpepper67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 21, 2024 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Front tires rubbing Reply with quote

You could throw it on an alignment machine and possibly adjust the caster to move the wheel forward in the wheel well. I find that the slightly longer wheel base usually helps the handling a bit too.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: