Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

70A alternator (AL108X) fan pulley
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: 70A alternator (AL108X) fan pulley Reply with quote

I recently bought a remanufactured Bosch AL108X 70A alternator on ebay for about half the price for which it's sold on several websites. However, this one came without the special pulley with fan blades on it. Sad

The pulley I mean is part 2A in the image below:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I have been searching for it but couldn't find one, already tried busted bus, but they won't sell separate fans.

If anyone has one I could buy, or know where to buy one, please let me know.
2010: Amsterdam - Cape Town - FIFA World Cup -- 26.000km
2014: New York - Rio de Janeiro - FIFA World Cup -- 27.000km
http://www.oranjetrophy.nl
Camper Special Club Member
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
old DKP driver
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 6:32 pm    Post subject: fan pulley Reply with quote

In the USA the fan pulley was only installed on the vanagon engines, maybe it's a rebuilt from an after market company.Will your old pulley fit the armature? But i have seen them sold for campers for the extra cooling. you might check busboys or busdepot.
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one is different from the vanagon ones, those we're used to blow fresh air into the heater boxes, this one is to cool the alternator.

Bus Depot doesn't sell it, Bus Boys has it indexed on their site, but it's NLA.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pb24ss
Samba Member

Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the same alternator on my westy. the engine came from a donor that had a BA6 installed. perhaps chris at bustedbus has some. he has 1000's of gently used parts.

[email protected]
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pb24ss wrote:
i have the same alternator on my westy. the engine came from a donor that had a BA6 installed. perhaps chris at bustedbus has some. he has 1000's of gently used parts.

[email protected]

If you would have read my entire post you could have read that I already tried that.

They won't sell separate pullies since that'll render the alternators they came from useless.

Sad
jmstu76
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think many of us know what you are going through. I looked at purchasing a 70 amp alternator when I needed a new one, but the lack of correct pulleys available deterred me. I ended up going with a 55 amp again. It is my understanding that these alternators were matched with the BA-6 heaters as mentioned in a previous post. You might call Scott at German Supply. I believe more buses shipped to Canada had these heaters than the buses imported to the "lower 48". Just my .02

'76 Deluxe Sage Green Westy
2258 cc GD case 78mm CW crank, 2.0 H-beam rods 5,325” 22mm pin, JE forged pistons with 15cc dish, JE rings, type 11 clearanced oil pump, CB Eagle 2205 Type-2 “Torque Special” hydraulic cam with matched lifters fed by CB Dual Weber 40 IDF MX with 6” foam air filters, currently 55 idle, 130 main, 200 air correction, 32 mm venturis. 27in General Grabber AT2 All Terrains, Berg Shifter, stock '76 exhaust HPC Ceramic Coated. 11/18/2020
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you need the fan part if it is factory. Mine is the 70A factory install and I did not have anything. It gets its cooling for the rubber elbow from the fan shroud. It should be totally encased and have a inlet on the back of the alt. 022 903 655. The fins would be only for cooling and these were cooled from the fan shroud I think! I will check mine today. It is apart in the basement. It came to me apart. It is entirely possible that the air is pushed through the alt. from the front and the air is added to the air from the shroud to cool the engine. I just can't remember the alt. fan.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
1FUNBUG
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through this exercise last winter. I bought my Westy three years ago and discovered that it had been upgraded to a 70A alternator. Unforturnately the PO did not install the correct cooling boot. It didn't have the unique pulley/fan either. I installed the correct boot (from Airhead Parts IIRC) but gave up on finding the right pulley. I ran it this year (with the dual battery setup) without issue. I suggest that you verify that it's got the right boot and press on.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1975 Kombi wrote:
I don't think you need the fan part if it is factory. Mine is the 70A factory install and I did not have anything. It gets its cooling for the rubber elbow from the fan shroud. It should be totally encased and have a inlet on the back of the alt. ...

71 Beetle, 1776, dual Kadrons
77 Westy, Camper Special 2.0 F.I.
1975 Kombi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ya I have to check my box of parts. The motor came disassembled. So I will check and get back to ya on this. The elbow boots are different for the 55A and the 70A.

“He’s decieving you boy! Reach into his pocket and take what he’s got.” Mr. Crabbs.

75 Westy auto
03 Jetta TDI
71 SB
74 Westy
Licensed pilot (single engine land VFR)
--
Rust In Pieces: 72 Bug, 73 Bug, 81 Rabbit LS D 2D, 83 Rabbit D 2D, 84 Jetta TD GL, 85 Jetta D, 68 Z28 RS 302, 91 Passat 16v
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MadMax78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, at least I now know I'm not the only one having trouble with this Laughing

Settling with the 55A again isn't really an option for me, I just bought a BA6 so I'd like to run the 70A. Also I've got a triple battery (2x Optima 5,5 yellow top and a 4,2 red top) setup going in soon, so the more juice there is to charge the batteries the better.

I'll make sure I get the right cooling boot, that doesn't seem to be a problem since it is available from germansupply and airheadparts.

I'm a bit hesitant about running this alternator without the fan pulley, if the fan wasn't necessary why would VW install them back in the day...