Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Oldbug Road Trip
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> General/Chat Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Oldbug Road Trip Reply with quote

Well...Im road trippin across the US right now and without my VW's to play with Im needing a fix. So I figured I would start a thread and maybe meet up with a few fellow VW folks along the way just for fun.

I started out just north of the San Diego fire zone at my place and cruised up to Apple Valley to pick up a 66 VW Convertible rat-rod project that I just dropped off this morning in Tulsa Oklahoma to Jimmy Moore and his brother. Very nice guys, they seemed pleased with their purchase off the Samba and in my delivery of it. We pulled it off the trailer and I drove off...not more than 10 minutes later Im just pulling out of a gas station to see Jimmy sitting behind the wheel (no seats, no steering) while his brother drove the truck pulling it with a towbar...really funny stuff. I missed the photo opportunity I was laughing so hard...as they went off around the corner I think I saw a motorcycle cop going after them...I hope they didnt get busted!

Im now spending the night in Bolivar Missouri after a visit with family and my next stop is Jefferson City Missouri in the morning to grab an Oval for a guy in Topeka Kansas...which I hope to hit by mid day. Im then grabbing a Bus he has to haul down to Metal Wizard in North Carolina.

I will post every night as I get to a hotel
(or someone's house...hint hint Wink )
and will share some stories. I will load some photos upon my return.

Not sure if anyone cares, but it will help me pass the time during my travels.

If anyone out there has the desire to meet up (or show me their VW for sale!) ...give me a call during the day, or post here and I will check the posts each night.

Happy Trails!
951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gostros
Mr. Obvious

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drive safe, let me know if you're coming through the Houston area.
my65vert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should have waited 2 weeks and swung down to florida for bulli brigade.
I'm starting to get little wafts of bus stink coming from the north. Something about the unique scent of drivers seat padding when it's glued together with mouse piss and shit that really gets me going... and I'm smelling it! Oh yeah! Time to start loading up the equipment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
slamnfreak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you get up near SE Idaho, shoot me an email.
Stanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me know if you make it all the way over to Boston, MA. I can give you a tour of the Bentley Publishers facility in Cambridge, MA, during a weekday.

www.stanagon.com

My '61 Mango bus thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=110367
My '64 vert thread: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=386344
My '71 squareback thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=637709
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 6:36 am    Post subject: Where am I? Reply with quote

I dont think I will be hitting Idaho or MA, but a tour of Bentley sounds very cool. I am a little bummed that there seems to be no VW events anywhere along my route on this trip...I would settle for any car event or swap meet though...I will be driving from Kansas to North Carolina over the weekend...anyone know of something cool along the way?

I know I will be rolling through Texas on the return trip...not sure of what cities...basically along the 40 wherever that goes.
951-795-1175
TeamSpatula
Samba In The Rain

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a few miles off I 40 in Hickory, NC...drop me a line when you get over here if you need/want...can't offer you a place to stay though, as we've got half the house torn up painting & redoing hardwood floors...but I can recommend some quality cheap hotels in the area...
Smile
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
notchback
Insensitive Jerk

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Where am I? Reply with quote

Oldbug.com wrote:
I dont think I will be hitting Idaho
Your loss.

FU#3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Dave
Samba Elder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that you have escaped the Orange Curtain, someday, when you are in Grant's Pass/Medford, you'll have to take Hiway 199 down to "behind the redwood curtain"....

"Those that matter, don't mind,
and those that mind, don't matter"
Gary
Person of Interest

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Where am I? Reply with quote

Oldbug.com wrote:
I dont think I will be hitting Idaho or MA, but a tour of Bentley sounds very cool. I am a little bummed that there seems to be no VW events anywhere along my route on this trip...I would settle for any car event or swap meet though...I will be driving from Kansas to North Carolina over the weekend...anyone know of something cool along the way?

I know I will be rolling through Texas on the return trip...not sure of what cities...basically along the 40 wherever that goes.

I-40 rolls through the Texas panhandle, and there isn't much to see there.
67stang302
SBS Hit Squad

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Now that you have escaped the Orange Curtain, someday, when you are in Grant's Pass/Medford, you'll have to take Hiway 199 down to "behind the redwood curtain"....

You forgot to mention that that drive down 199 is one of the best cruises ever! Nothing will compare to the type 3 invasion making that cruise.

SBSeven 1 YR and still going

59 Kombi laying beam
64 type 34
79SuperVert
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're going to be passing thru the NY metro area you can stay in our guestroom in Elizabeth, NJ. PM me.
draginwagen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Where am I? Reply with quote

Oldbug.com wrote:

Im in bristol, tennessee there is a car show saturday and sunday in kingsport. usually about 10 vws. shhot me an email if youll be in the area.

Yellowbeard wrote:
I hate people who quote other people...

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/

You could have stopped in Nebraska,

In Nebraska we have .........

and um .........

or.........

Corn.
BSQUARE
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emersonbiggins wrote:

In Nebraska we have .........

and um .........

or.........

Corn.

...and the worlds largest bowling trophy.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

AKA - The State Capitol Building
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't there a small VW and micro car collection in Nebraska somewhere.
I think I heard they were going to be adding a personal submarine to the collection shortly as well.
emersonbiggins
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kleinschnittger

Heinkel

Messerschmitt KR200

Kubelwagen

I don't know what all is going on there. Confused
vw62rag
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Tonight Reply with quote

Well...Im in Topeka Kansas tonight, gonna crash on the couch of Lawrence Lauri, the true king of fade...he has been pulling some crazy VWs out of the woods in this area. He is a So Cal transplant so we had some fun stories to share. Super nice folks, lots of crusty VWs...very fun.

Off in the morning aiming for North Carolina.... yeee haw!

(Im posting with Lawrence's email...sorry for the confusion) Wink

\X/
62 rag
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject: Makin tracks... Reply with quote

Well...I left Topeka Kansas early this morning and just landed for the night in Kentucky, just shy of the West Virginia border...about 800+ miles.

Hauling a Kansas find double door standard Bus that is going to NC for it's "de-crustification" (and more). Neat Bus.

I spotted a split screen van at a place called Lance Motor Investments (or something like that) off of the highway...packed to the gills with American Iron and this one splitty peeking out from the back row. I took a closer look...to bad for me, but there are some parts on it (although someone apparantly stole the drivers door). I will post some photos of it when I finally make it home.

Looking forward to the next day's drive into the Carolinas...never been there.

Big thanks again to Lawrence and his wife...very fun visit (and a comfortable couch!)

Next stop Archdale NC!
951-795-1175
vw7266
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Makin tracks... Reply with quote

Oldbug.com wrote:
Well...I left Topeka Kansas early this morning and just landed for the night in Kentucky, just shy of the West Virginia border...about 800+ miles.

Hauling a Kansas find double door standard Bus that is going to NC for it's "de-crustification" (and more). Neat Bus.

I spotted a split screen van at a place called Lance Motor Investments (or something like that) off of the highway...packed to the gills with American Iron and this one splitty peeking out from the back row. I took a closer look...to bad for me, but there are some parts on it (although someone apparantly stole the drivers door). I will post some photos of it when I finally make it home.

Looking forward to the next day's drive into the Carolinas...never been there.

Big thanks again to Lawrence and his wife...very fun visit (and a comfortable couch!)

Next stop Archdale NC!

where are u at in KY and WV you gotta be close to me? I assume you're on I64 but I could be wrong...if so you prolly gonna run right by me...if so, and you wanted to check it out...I could meet ya and show ya a really rusty BD in the woods...

Last edited by vw7266 on Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:24 pm; edited 2 times in total
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> General/Chat All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: