Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Tach instead of clock
Page: Previous  1, 2
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
mygreenbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

renobdarb wrote:
If you get that VDO tach make sure you get the $.02 diode from Radio Shack. Your tach will bounce all over the place without it.

Which diode???
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This one. Although not everyone apparently needs it to prevent "stray voltage" from disturbing the gauge readings. Mine fluttered even before the compufire. I installed mine at the coil end.

From the VDO FAQs over at e-gauges.com.....

"Will VDO tachs work with points ignition or Pertronix?

Answer: Yes, with diode in line on the signal lead. Instructions are as follows:

Purchase a diode #1N4005 from a local electronics store such as Radio Shack or Circuit City. Cut both ends of the diode so each is approximately 3/4” long. Crimp 1/4” female spade connector on the end of the diode with the silver band. Crimp butt-splice connector on the other end of the diode. Crimp the opposite end of butt-splice connector to the wire connected to the ignition signal source. Connect 1/4” female spade connector used in #3 above to terminal #4 on the back of the tachometer. Connect a ground (-) wire to terminal #3. Connect a switched 12-volt power wire to terminal #2. Set switches for appropriate amount of cylinders."
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
renobdarb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need it if you're running Petronix or Compufire? Ahhhh... That would explain why not everyone needs it...
Loftus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: tach Reply with quote

neil68 wrote:
Glenn,

Another option: I pulled a VDO tach out of a BMW a few years ago (at the wreckers) and it fit perfectly in my '69 bus, where the stock clock would have been located (the bus came with just the blank plate). I don't remember what type of BMW it was, however.

Neil.

Installed a VDO tach into my 71 bus dash which was pulled from a BMW 2002 (1969). The 1968->1971 BMW 2002 also came with "Silver Dollar" centers on the gauges much like our bus did during the same years. The BMW colour scheme of silver center with black gauge face matched what I was going for.
Looks close enough to me and only cost me $40 CDN at a wreckers. I thought about the CIP1 tach but they dont carry the tach with the silver center with black gauge face.

My dash with Black-Silver theme using BMW tach
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Stock BMW 2002 cluster pulled from a 1969 for comparison
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: