Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Help fight unjust insurance practices! Westy values needed!
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Print this thread out and give it to your lawyer
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
70 140
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is an S022 listed in the UK. You have to email for the price. It is a slider, and the interior looks different... sorry I don't know enough about them.
http://thecoolvw.com/aanbod.php?lang=en
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like Westfalia started with standards not Kombis in '62. I have a mountain of pictures of '67 Westys for sale. From my experience it doesn't help to have non year, non same model, non same state models to compare.
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
Looks like Westfalia started with standards not Kombis in '62. I have a mountain of pictures of '67 Westys for sale. From my experience it doesn't help to have non year, non same model, non same state models to compare.

the SO-22 model is one of the rarest model of westies, so many people don't know the specifics about them.

the SO-22 is the convertible bus. can be a 9-seater microbus during the week, and a camper on the weekend. it only takes five to ten minutes to switch the kit out for some seats. no tools required. truly a sport utility vehicle.

an SO-22 could be ordered onto any model. I have seen a '64 panel, a '63 kombi, two '62 standards, a '63 standard and two '65 sunroof standards. I also have seen a '66 deluxe sunroof which I strongly suspect was originally outfitted with camping equipment from westfalia, although probably not an SO-22 kit.

it is very hard to get a direct comparison on a vehicle this rare. what I am putting into the letter that I am currently writing is that the SO-22 is more valuable than any of its contemporaries due to the unique features and rarity/desirability of it.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Aiko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2007 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EverettB wrote:
Where do they get $3000 from?

I thought they used the Gold Book ( http://www.manheimgold.com/ ) for old car values. There is no way your Bus is $3000, even after the accident.

Code:
1962 VOLKSWAGEN DELUXE CAMPER Westfalia   Dsp/HP   Eng   Fair   Good    Exc     Show     Loan
                            VAN 1951-67   1.6/57   4C    5,000  8,000  12,000  15,000    7,000

I know that Haggerty Classic Car Insurance uses Manheim Gold for values or at least thats what the agent told me when determining value for my 21 window and lowlight Ghia along with detailed photos. I previously had regular full coverage from a standard company until I found out they do not cover full classic value. Haggerty insures LOTS of nice split buses and they do require photos befoe assesing value so perhaps they might be of some help to you in at least providing you information, sample quotes, etc... based of your pre-accident photos.

As for proffessional appraisals aside from the 4 people mentioned in previous posts, doesnt Rich Kimball also provide a service for appraisals? See link below;

http://www.ovalsonly.com/services.htm
AB-T1
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This camper was recently sold on German ebay for 13,800.00 Euros (19,850.00 U$D):
140166722315 VW Bus Westfalia Bulli T1 Wohnmobil Oldtimer
(‚ohne Wowa’ / ‚without camping-trailer’ !)

Yesterday’s exchange rate: 1.439 U$D : 1.000 Euro
http://www.x-rates.com/d/USD/EUR/graph120.html

Good luck
iamdonquixote
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you have classic car insurance?

were you in compliance with the agreed policy?

Remember if you are not in compliance they often use that as an excuse for non-payment.

Driving a car cross country is not usually something "classic car" insurance companies would like their clients to do.

Sure your westy if repaired is worth 10-20k but I feel like we don't know enough to really help here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears to be gone now, but there was a SO22 for sale on the SAMBA teaterday for I believe 7k, complete but a total basket case. Ask EB for a couple of the ad. I forgot to save it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
terrell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to still be for sale:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=522710

And here is the link to more pictures off thesamba, in case the ad gets pulled:

http://kustomvdubs.com/gallery/SO22
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry folks, I didn't realize the thread had gotten all these reply's until I got an email that made reference to them. I must have killed the notification process when I cleared cookies?

EverettB wrote:
Sounds like they are screwing with you if you have receipts alone for $10K.

You say there is a trial? Does this mean you have a lawyer?

I do have a lawyer, and he seems like a good one. I like his attitude anyway. They are definetly screwing with me from my perspective.

OG Velvet wrote:
slow36hp wrote:
it seems insurance companies should be liable for coverage they sell if they took your money for 18k they should have to honor it.

That is what I truely don't understand. Why is that? How can you buy insurance for 18k and have them renig?

We got a letter in the mail while we were in the hospital stating that they were changing the policy to ACV, the thing is, the bus was totaled before the date the change became effective. My take is that they were unhappy that the agent wrote the policy, and I feel I'm being punished for it.

BarryL wrote:
It's possible they are decoding the vin as a Kombi. They need to get edjamakated about what the Westy factory did with the Kombis.

I can assure you that they aren't giving it that much thought! Their mind hasn't left the bottom line. I showed they guy the m-code plate when he came, he even took a photo of it. Truth is, they just don't care.

arthurnugen wrote:
If trial is November 2, surely you have a property value expert lined up to testify? What does your lawyer say? When was discovery cutoff? If you're scrambling now, you may not get this evidence into trial if the other side has not seen it yet. If you don't have a lawyer or an expert and this is where you are in your case prep, you need a continuance.

Arthur

Worst case we will get a continuance, my understanding was that I have some time left. I have a letter of valuation from a couple different folks, and I do believe I have a good lawyer. I actually became so stressed in trying to deal with the insurance company BS that I handed the lawyer communications over to my wife.

EverettB wrote:
Where do they get $3000 from?

I'd like to know that. I think they expected me to counter somehwere in the upper middle, I called a lawyer instead.

iamdonquixote wrote:
did you have classic car insurance?

Sure your westy if repaired is worth 10-20k but I feel like we don't know enough to really help here.

Stated value auto policy with all my regular cars. All my seldom driven stuff is with Haggerty, but no classic insurance company would touch the westy being a camper bus getting ready to leave on a trip cross country. As it was a standard policy, there are no milage/use restrictions. To my knowledge there is no question of anything other than value.

And we aren't talking value repaired, we're talking value before wrecked, which exceeds the numbers you listed. As stated above, all I really need as far as help is proof of value! The lawyer is taking on the rest.

Many thanks for the help folks. I will of course keep you posted.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so glad you're better and fighting.
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, we're both still hoping and working for further improvement, but we are doing much better. The fighting I'm eager to have over!
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie,
Who are you suing--your insurer over the dispute on value or the at fault driver? Your policy should specify binding arbitration over a dispute such as this, not a trial. An arbitration is much less formal. Your lawyer may have a great attitude but if he knows what he is doing, then you should not be on here.

Who is the insurer? You have a lawyer out of Cottage Grove area? Who?

What state are you suing in? I forgot where the accident was.

Feel free to PM me if you don't want to post your info publicly.
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

woody the accident was found no fault at the scene, so it is my company, and as my lawyer makes -many- times my hourly wage, and knows nothing about vw's, this route seemed the most cost effective. I'm pleased with how it's being handled so far. The insurance company has been unreasonable, both in my and the lawyers opinion. There are things I don't want to post publicly, but I do feel like I am being taken care of.
Major Woody
Samba Enigma

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the PM. Hopefully I can be of some help since Oregon is my stompin' grounds.
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnie,

Hope it turns out well. Please post the results when you find out, if you feel comfortable doing so. We are all pulling for you.

Arthur

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ronnie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will most definitely post results when it's all said and done!

And a big thanks to those taking the time to pm and email to make sure things are on the right course. I do feel that I have adequate and competent representation, if it seems like I'm out of the loop a bit, it's because I am, but it is quite intentional. I know it's hard to grasp from the outside looking in, but there are things I value far more than money, and my sanity is one of them. My wife has been handeling all the details, and any information I get is filtered through her. Sharp she is, but legal minded she is not, so I may be off in terminology etc. but she is confident( based on info from the attny's office) that we are on course, and I choose to follow.

Thanks much for taking the time folks, it may make all the difference in the end.
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I learned something interesting this week when talking to Grundy? classic cars insurers. There is a HUGE differeance in a STATED value verses AGREEDED upon value. They told me that in a STATED value policy they will go after all recent sales (kind of like replacement). The ODDS of getting the full payment of the STATED value in a claim are slime to none, it's a insurance company semi scam to make you believe you will get paid what you insured it for. Now I know why I've been used as an expert witness on 2 different occasions in stated value insurance disputes.
Agreeded upon value is totaly different. This is a dollar amount that agreeded upon by both parties and the insured will get paid "the agreeded upon amount" in case of a lose.
I am contacting my insurer to change the policies on my full coverage buses from "stated" to "agreeded" upon values.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitpile
Quote:
They told me that in a STATED value policy they will go after all recent sales (kind of like replacement).

What if the recent sales are higher than when you stated your policy?
westernair
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
splitpile
Quote:
They told me that in a STATED value policy they will go after all recent sales (kind of like replacement).

What if the recent sales are higher than when you stated your policy?

Every year you need to adjust the agreed value with your carrier. Also you only get the agreed value if it is a total loss.
Shawn
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: