Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

coolant level sensor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can not run without a thermostat as the thermostat must be there to close off the bypass channel. Without the bypass closed off the radiator will be short circuited and your engine will overheat easily.

You did well to short out the connections on the plug for the coolant level sensor. With the sensor removed from the circuit the system will believe the coolant level is low, set up the warning light, and cause the gauge to peg.

When you order parts, get a new pressure(expansion) tank, a coolant level sensor and a new cap. You might want to keep an extra thermostat and o-rings on hand as well. Buy the best cap and thermostat you can find.
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
clean it with CLR

What is CLR?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadSetMonkey wrote:
Terry Kay wrote:
clean it with CLR

What is CLR?

I bet Google knows Wink
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMGTFY
DeadSetMonkey
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
LMGTFY

What's LMGTFY Laughing (sarcasm)
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DeadSetMonkey wrote:
What is CLR?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

A cleaning agent that's been around for, oh, 15 years or so.

In this instance, you need the original stuff in the gray bottle.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Windig89
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
He is how my sensor failed. Original 1986 unit (date molded in).

Coolant seeped up the metal rods via the cracked plastic and oozed out from the top plug.

Dave

I removed my sensor the other day during my system overhaul and found the same thing. Plastic prongs were cracked ( LED blinking until engine warm). I went to the dealer to get a new one and to my surprise thankfully VW has redesigned the sensor now. It no longer has plastic surrounds on the prongs! Have a look (old vs new picture), its a really nice quality part now. Hopefully it works as well as it looks!

Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

I was just looking at my old sensor compared to the new one pictured above. I noticed when I pulled my off that I have no O-Ring. Are the older ones without O-ring?
Also, any tips on the correct tool to use to remove/install this sensor?
Vanagator
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Man o Man....I can't believe I wrote that prev post. In fact I do have an ORing on there- It's just smashed flat after all these years.
Anyhow....replaced with a new sensor today and no more seeeeeep.
Yeehaw, think I'll take a road trip to see if the warning light comes on.
Honuak
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Reviving this thread.
My coolant level sensor failed breaking at the top of the threads. I think because it sticks up too high and gets jammed a bit by the engine lid. I have a RMW tank that puts the sensor wire connection up higher than stock.
I'd like to source/create/modify the connector to come off at a 90 deg angle instead of straight up.
Anyone had this issue and found an elegant solution?
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:
... My coolant level sensor failed breaking at the top of the threads. ...

The same has happened to me and I think it's a common problem. I carry a spare and a wrench that fits. Getting the threaded part out in situ can be a problem. I think i removed the tank from the vehicle and got it out using a dull chisel and a SFH to turn it counterclockwise.

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

The SFH is an ideal tool for this situation and I'm impressed you know of its existence. It's a sage man who knows when to leave the BFH in the toolbox for its subtle cousin.

I also had the same "top blow off" happen to a sensor. Of course in the very most remote place I've ever had the Van. Top of a snowy mountain in Montana. Had to use various bits from aspirin bottles, food wrap and the like to get it to hold to limp into town. Then one of those rubbery boat drain cam type marine plugs worked for days of normal driving. So, I would say not to assume it was from physical interference unless you know that to be the case. I used JB Weld to put mine back together and kept it in the glovebox for years as a spare get home bit.
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
otiswesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Honuak wrote:

My coolant level sensor failed breaking at the top of the threads. I think because it sticks up too high and gets jammed a bit by the engine lid. I have a RMW tank that puts the sensor wire connection up higher than stock.

elegant solution?

The stock tank is still available and should last 15-20 years

Just a regular guy
Tom Powell
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2017 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
The SFH is an ideal tool for this situation and I'm impressed you know of its existence.

Damned by small praise. Smile

Aloha
tp
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Glad I found this thread, I have a really naive question for you all. I'm having similar symptoms as others here with the incessantly blinking coolant light. It sounds like there's a high chance that I have a bum sensor or that I might need to top off my coolant.

On to the dumb question that I had a hard time finding an answer to. If I remove the blue cap from the pressurized expansion tank while the engine is cold, can I simply add coolant and top off, replace the cap, and not have to do anything else? Like bleed the system now?

Same goes if I remove the sensor from the pressurized tank. I'm imagining this let's in outside air but is it necessary to bleed if I just replace this sensor. I imagine this air that's above the coolant is self bled?

Thanks for putting up with my dumb question!
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

menotti wrote:
...If I remove the blue cap from the pressurized expansion tank while the engine is cold, can I simply add coolant and top off, replace the cap, and not have to do anything else? Like bleed the system now?

Same goes if I remove the sensor from the pressurized tank...

Yes to both. With the engine cold and not running you can top off the tank and/or R&R the sender. That action alone does not require a bleed.

There is a technique for getting more coolant in the tank that involves running the engine at high RPM and holding it there while you remove the cap, fill and replace the cap - but that is a bit more involved.

If you continually have to top up that tank and there is no evidence of a leak then there are things you will want to check.
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Ahwahnee wrote:
menotti wrote:
...If I remove the blue cap from the pressurized expansion tank while the engine is cold, can I simply add coolant and top off, replace the cap, and not have to do anything else? Like bleed the system now?

Same goes if I remove the sensor from the pressurized tank...

Yes to both. With the engine cold and not running you can top off the tank and/or R&R the sender. That action alone does not require a bleed.

There is a technique for getting more coolant in the tank that involves running the engine at high RPM and holding it there while you remove the cap, fill and replace the cap - but that is a bit more involved.

If you continually have to top up that tank and there is no evidence of a leak then there are things you will want to check.

Thanks a bunch. Checked under the blue cap and we're topped off on coolant.

Seems likely the sensor needs a cleaning but I'm having a heck of a time removing it. Sounds like others had to remove the whole tank to do this if it is in its original position Confused Any other tips on removal?

My light only started going for the coolant level when I replaced the factory foil with the gowesty pcb, but I checked all the connections there and they look good. Maybe the old foil wasn't showing the light.
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
The SFH is an ideal tool for this situation and I'm impressed you know of its existence. It's a sage man who knows when to leave the BFH in the toolbox for its subtle cousin.

I also had the same "top blow off" happen to a sensor. Of course in the very most remote place I've ever had the Van. Top of a snowy mountain in Montana. Had to use various bits from aspirin bottles, food wrap and the like to get it to hold to limp into town. Then one of those rubbery boat drain cam type marine plugs worked for days of normal driving. So, I would say not to assume it was from physical interference unless you know that to be the case. I used JB Weld to put mine back together and kept it in the glovebox for years as a spare get home bit.

small friendly hammer and big friggin/friendly hammer, yes? Laughing
Ahwahnee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

menotti wrote:
...My light only started going for the coolant level when I replaced the factory foil with the gowesty pcb, but I checked all the connections there and they look good. Maybe the old foil wasn't showing the light.

Not sure what year/engine you have - but on my 84 (Digijet) a simple break in the wire from the sensor caused the light to blink.

In my case the break was where the wire got pinched (beneath the coil) and the fault was intermittent -- took a while to reliably recreate and diagnose.

The point is, although a bum sensor is a common problem, check everything for clean, tight & unbroken.
Vanagon Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Were it me, I'd remove the coolant low relay and see if light continues to show the same behaviour. If it does, I think that indicates the issue is at the dash.

A reliable coolant low light is quite handy to have.

Neil.

1988 West DIY 50º ABA

VE7TBN
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: