Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

coolant level sensor?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Menotti,

If I recall, the sensor has a plastic hex head. So use a socket to fit that and you'll have plenty of leverage? Or perhaps an open or box end wrench imperfectly fit from an angle will do it? With the socket, I can't recall if the wires are an issue, or if a long socket gives enough room to ball the wires up inside the socket as well. It's been awhile since I've dealt with this.

Thanks for the tip on the broken wire. Would be awesome to discover that's been my issue all along....

Neil - any more specifics on that relay removal test? Where is it, what to do with wires after disconnected, etc? Thanks

Doug
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Were it me, I'd remove the coolant low relay and see if light continues to show the same behaviour. If it does, I think that indicates the issue is at the dash.

A reliable coolant low light is quite handy to have.

Neil.

I removed the connector from the sensor and jumped it with a bobby pin. Started the van and got the same blinking light. So my guess is not a problem with the sensor itself, unless the bobby pin doesnt make a good jumper!

Given I also didn't have the low coolant flashing before replacing the foil, seems like something wrong with my pcb install. Though everything looks right.

My next steps I think are to test with a multimeter all around and see what I can find based on the other advice here.
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
Menotti,

If I recall, the sensor has a plastic hex head. So use a socket to fit that and you'll have plenty of leverage? Or perhaps an open or box end wrench imperfectly fit from an angle will do it? With the socket, I can't recall if the wires are an issue, or if a long socket gives enough room to ball the wires up inside the socket as well. It's been awhile since I've dealt with this.

Doug

Yeah, can give that a go. See if I can find a good angle.
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
Try unplugging the sensor connector atop the expansion tank, bridge the pins in the connector, then drive it and see. If the light doesn't come on anymore, it's trouble wit the sensor. Often the probes get gunked up and can't sense continuity thru the coolant. Just pulling out the sensor and cleaning the probe pins does the trick.

Here's a diagnostic for the level sensor electrics:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184096

Similar problem for me and I bridged the connector with a bobby pin. Still had flashing light at idle. Do you think it needs to be driven to be sure?

Temp gauge itself rises as it should.
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Windig86, did that all metal/No plastic sensor prong set up Work?
I tried on and it was registering hot really quick. My older on is at slightly above LED. Anyone else have that issue?
kaalualu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Excuse me, windig89, not 86...
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Were it me, I'd remove the coolant low relay and see if light continues to show the same behaviour. If it does, I think that indicates the issue is at the dash.

A reliable coolant low light is quite handy to have.

Neil.

Thanks! I pulled the big ol relay with '43' on it while the light was blinking and found it kept blinking. This sounds like the new gauge I put in with the clock --> tach swap has some kind of issue itself. Good diagnostic tip!
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

To be clear, the symptoms and steps I took were:
- Turn ignition to battery on
- Coolant light blinking
- Wait 5 seconds or so, turn engine on
- Light continues to blink - NEVER stops
- Pull relay
- Light continues to blink

Sounds like a problem in the gauge itself with the fix being something like this, yeah? http://www.vanagonauts.com/Warning-Light-Fix241.htm
IdahoDoug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

So, where is "relay 43" located?
1987 2WD Wolfsburg Vanagon Weekender "Mango", two fully locked 80 Series LandCruisers. 2017 Subaru Outback boxer. 1990 Audi 90 Quattro 20V with rear locking differential, 1990 burgundy parts Vanagon. 1984 Porsche 944, 1988 Toyota Supra 5 speed targa, 2002 BMW 325iX, 1982 Toyota Sunrader
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

IdahoDoug wrote:
So, where is "relay 43" located?

Followed the instructions in this other post: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=184096&start=40

Quote:
One easy test that may help is to wait for the next time it flashes when you know the level in the tank is ok and the needle isn't reading hot. Simply pull the "coolant level warning relay" from the dash relay/fuse panel. It is plugged into relay socket 3 and should have a large 43 or 42 stamped on the end you can see. With the led blinking away, just yank that relay out and see if the blinking immediately stops. If it still blinks then chances are you have a gauge with failing electronics inside.
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

menotti wrote:
To be clear, the symptoms and steps I took were:
- Turn ignition to battery on
- Coolant light blinking
- Wait 5 seconds or so, turn engine on
- Light continues to blink - NEVER stops
- Pull relay
- Light continues to blink

Sounds like a problem in the gauge itself with the fix being something like this, yeah? http://www.vanagonauts.com/Warning-Light-Fix241.htm

Question Now I am a little dumbfounded!

I checked again the overflow tank with the engine cold and even though it seemed to have an acceptable amount of coolant in there, I figured why not bring it closer to the top line just in case. I had figured this wouldn't have anything to do with the sensor in the expansion tank.

Lo and behold I start up the van and the light is NO LONGER BLINKING. Wow, I though, I am a complete moron but glad this is fixed.

I drove to the grocery store with the light off and the temp rising to a comfortable midpoint.

Come out of the store and start up the van, the light is back! What?

I am going to check the overflow once more tonight and if it is roughly in the same place it sounds like, given I did the check by pulling the relay, that I have a bad capacitor in the gauge itself, yeah?
menotti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 01, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: coolant level sensor? Reply with quote

Any thoughts on this? Sorry for double posting in the other thread too Smile
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: