Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Spectacular. It was a beautiful day yesterday.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Here's yesterday's hard frost in Idaho, roughly mid-point between the above two photos (the van is in there somewhere Smile)

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took us here for a fall gravel road ride trails too wet for mountain biking. This was the view as I came around the corner top of the hill end of ride.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
Took us here for a fall gravel road ride trails too wet for mountain biking. This was the view as I came around the corner top of the hill end of ride.
NICE!
Great Fall Color shot too.
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Another Haul to Salvation Army now that the Estate Sale is over with. What ever didn't sell got donated for the most part, so a full load went out on Saturday.

No fun Fall Color drives for us this year as it's a 'Rebuilding Year' on many fronts for us. Hopefully next year is way more leisure time and fun drives. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Embarassed
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2021 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Northern Run.. Closing in on 332K mi, but just shy. Started out the day well before dawn, planned 2X the time to roll to the Rochester Mayo Clinic, to see what more can be salvaged of my bone grafted hip rebuild (1994) but alas, there is no study underway to attempt cartilage replacement. So, I guess its good news / bad news: get the chisel out boys, and 'do your worst' as it were.. I have suffered bone on bone grinding hip pain to the extent I can manage with meds that still allow me to drive... or whatever you call the thing I do while operating my vehicle at WOT for hours on end.

Firstly tho: Brake light on dash came on 1/4 mile from home. Pulled up on the hand brake, sat in the middle of my last-mile gravel and assumed the 'position' with plenty of paper towels tucked down around the fill port on the reservoir. I like to make a tiny hole in the foil, push out any air up top with a squeeze, and then tilt the bottle into the fill port as I let up the pressure on the vessel.. Not a drop on the paper! Yes, success. But.... uhhh, where did half a reservoir of fluid go in 4 months!?!?! Oh ya, probably through a leaky master, into the booster. Looking forward to a more in depth discovery process there over the next few weeks/months! Hah!!

Word to the wise: deer are stupid in the Rut. Buck sauntered across traffic, oncoming semi-truck (low beams even) made spotting it crossing from my left crossing to my right impossible. Semi missed it by 1/3 or so of a second, and I missed it by a millisecond at best. would have been a bad day.

Well, ended up in my wife's northern realm, sorted out a few details of her property and estate, and got the last few doughnuts from a bakery she grew up knowing as the best bakery in 100 miles.. sign said "for sale" !!ouch!!

So, home now after roughly 14 hours, glad to be home, sad to have no option of another experiment on my hip, but relieved to know that the end of my agony is neigh. Also, strangely, not in any pain at the moment! T&C Stow & Go, to the rescue! Score!

Anyway, here are a couple shots I thought were appropriate looking, my bus that looks to be 'ready and willing to ROLL!' (Somewhere in Northern Minnesota, at a "rest stop" where there were no other vehicles)

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Northern Run.. Closing in on 332K mi, but just shy. Started out the day well before dawn, planned 2X the time to roll to the Rochester Mayo Clinic, to see what more can be salvaged of my bone grafted hip rebuild (1994) but alas, there is no study underway to attempt cartilage replacement. So, I guess its good news / bad news: get the chisel out boys, and 'do your worst' as it were.. I have suffered bone on bone grinding hip pain to the extent I can manage with meds that still allow me to drive... or whatever you call the thing I do while operating my vehicle at WOT for hours on end.

Firstly tho: Brake light on dash came on 1/4 mile from home. Pulled up on the hand brake, sat in the middle of my last-mile gravel and assumed the 'position' with plenty of paper towels tucked down around the fill port on the reservoir. I like to make a tiny hole in the foil, push out any air up top with a squeeze, and then tilt the bottle into the fill port as I let up the pressure on the vessel.. Not a drop on the paper! Yes, success. But.... uhhh, where did half a reservoir of fluid go in 4 months!?!?! Oh ya, probably through a leaky master, into the booster. Looking forward to a more in depth discovery process there over the next few weeks/months! Hah!!

Word to the wise: deer are stupid in the Rut. Buck sauntered across traffic, oncoming semi-truck (low beams even) made spotting it crossing from my left crossing to my right impossible. Semi missed it by 1/3 or so of a second, and I missed it by a millisecond at best. would have been a bad day.

Well, ended up in my wife's northern realm, sorted out a few details of her property and estate, and got the last few doughnuts from a bakery she grew up knowing as the best bakery in 100 miles.. sign said "for sale" !!ouch!!

So, home now after roughly 14 hours, glad to be home, sad to have no option of another experiment on my hip, but relieved to know that the end of my agony is neigh. Also, strangely, not in any pain at the moment! T&C Stow & Go, to the rescue! Score!

Anyway, here are a couple shots I thought were appropriate looking, my bus that looks to be 'ready and willing to ROLL!' (Somewhere in Northern Minnesota, at a "rest stop" where there were no other vehicles)

Sorry to hear about your Hip Pain, didn't realize it had been that long of a haul dealing with it.... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Today we took our Dog to the Vet for the Last Time. He passed away at home this morning, sometime between 2 and 6, quietly.
He loved riding in the Vanagon since it always meant an adventure away from the house, so it was fitting that it took him away from us for the last time.
That picture of your Vanagon all by itself looks like us parked at a State Park last year in the Summer, we got there and no one was around in the Morning, until they all showed up at once a few hours later.... Smile Razz Razz
fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2021 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

Today we took our Dog to the Vet for the Last Time. He passed away at home this morning, sometime between 2 and 6, quietly.
He loved riding in the Vanagon since it always meant an adventure away from the house, so it was fitting that it took him away from us for the last time.

We send our sympathies, it's just over a year since our little Freddo went. Camping has been poignant on occasion this last year. Happy memories though.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2021 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

fxr wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:

We send our sympathies, it's just over a year since our little Freddo went. Camping has been poignant on occasion this last year. Happy memories though.
Thank you for the kind words.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I've been working on getting a set of Merc rims for my Pastel White '86 for a while now... Well, I spotted a set in Chicago, and reached out to Mr jlrftype7, who graciously obliged me by picking up, cleaning up, and holding on to the CL Merc rims I've been after. It was really kind of him to help, and although we had only a few minutes to meet, chat, and then get back on the road, it was so much an honor to finally meet in person! Surely we should find another time and place to become better acquainted!! You are certainly welcome at the Home any time!!

I am glad to have those ~500 miles behind me. The '87 Westy was a real trouper out there in Chicagoland, where it seems speeds of 90 to 110 mph are 'just the new normal' ... I found myself doing 88 at one point and still being the slow one, and decided I'd rather get off that racetrack!

Made it back to my slow Lane through Wisconsin and Iowa, and got home in good shape, other than having to throw out another pair of shorts.

Thanks again jlrftype7!

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2021 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Glad to help out. Cool
TomInAlaska
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Mine performed great on a quick errand to pick up one of the bigger blackout shades in our house (essential for up here in the land of the midnight sun!) after some warranty repairs. Since it is a little chilly today (-7C per my new Amazon OAT that only displays metric) it took a couple tries to get it to crank but once running it quickly settled down to a very smooth and steady ~850rpm and drove mostly great* for the quick 15 min trip.

*It still has a hard stumble at 2800-3000rpm every single time the engine revs through that speed. Every other speed it runs fantastic. Rolling Eyes

'84 GL adventure van project (1.9L, 4speed) https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=755844&highlight=
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Quote:
(-7C per my new Amazon OAT that only displays metric)

Outside Air Temp. Check I learn something new everyday. Thanks.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Getting picked up at Transporter Werks in Dunn, NC after getting their new gauge pod set installed and a bunch of other little amazing things Sean and his team did including fixing some emerging seam rust.

We spent the night at a rest stop it hit the low 30s over night and the Eberspacher d2 diesel heater was amazing. It is amazing waking up to 0 condensation.

The new westy's new vitrifrigo c50i is fantastic. Don't mind the skinny beer I got them because they fit really well inside.

I forgot my phone on the short hike up to Linville Farms so I don't have pictures of the waterfall. But, but it was really pretty. We missed the peak colors at the falls by a week, but still really nice and the weather was great.

The kids aren't quite sure how mom got upstairs.

Lucy loves the 3 windows

At a dispersed campsite on 1258. I usually see a few vanagons in NC, but none on this trip I did see a jeep club roll by. We arrived a little late so the "best" spots were taken but this one suited us just fine. Off the road and the dogs could explore off leash a bit.

Morning campfire and mandatory instagram pictures for the GF. The Kelty Double wide bag is great the kids approve.

We didn't plan to go camping so we didn't have any gear loaded, but we had a lot of fun!
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Used my Vanagon Truck to pull a Bay Westy out it's 24-year resting spot in the hills of Vermont Monday. I've been stalking the Westy for 3 years, the owners finally saw that I was the right guy to sell it to. Love my Jeremyrockjock tow bar!!
And the ballsy Doka tow rig... Laughing Laughing Laughing

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
oasis
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

elizer wrote:
Getting picked up at Transporter Werks in Dunn, NC after getting their new gauge pod set installed and a bunch of other little amazing things Sean and his team did including fixing some emerging seam rust.

We spent the night at a rest stop it hit the low 30s over night and the Eberspacher d2 diesel heater was amazing. It is amazing waking up to 0 condensation.

The new westy's new vitrifrigo c50i is fantastic. Don't mind the skinny beer I got them because they fit really well inside.

I forgot my phone on the short hike up to Linville Farms so I don't have pictures of the waterfall. But, but it was really pretty. We missed the peak colors at the falls by a week, but still really nice and the weather was great.

The kids aren't quite sure how mom got upstairs.

Lucy loves the 3 windows

At a dispersed campsite on 1258. I usually see a few vanagons in NC, but none on this trip I did see a jeep club roll by. We arrived a little late so the "best" spots were taken but this one suited us just fine. Off the road and the dogs could explore off leash a bit.

Morning campfire and mandatory instagram pictures for the GF. The Kelty Double wide bag is great the kids approve.

We didn't plan to go camping so we didn't have any gear loaded, but we had a lot of fun!

Very, very cool (and not referring to the low 30's F) Cool
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Used my Vanagon Truck to pull a Bay Westy out it's 24-year resting spot in the hills of Vermont Monday. I've been stalking the Westy for 3 years, the owners finally saw that I was the right guy to sell it to. Love my Jeremyrockjock tow bar!!
And the ballsy Doka tow rig... Laughing Laughing Laughing
I like the Helper Dog, yours or the Westy's owner? Nice weather too for a tow.... Cool Cool
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

The Westy owners Dog, mine look more German:

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

crukab wrote:
The Westy owners Dog, mine look more German:

Now that's a Pack of Pups.... Smile It's their Vanagon really, you just get to 'use' it with permission.... Wink Wink
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2021 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Made another run to the junkyard for some Dodge parts. Got a receiver hitch that'll do nicely and paid to have them remove a rear axle I need to replace the badly worn one currently in the big Dodge. I'll pick up the Dana 60 once it's out.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 30, 2021 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

After losing our last Dog recently to a slow battle with Cancer, we decided to get another Dog. Although he's not in the Vanagon in this shot, he DID come home with us from his previous Family in the Vanagon and has gone out to Parks and Dog Parks in it as well.
Once I get a decent picture of him in the VW, I'll add that.
This is his tired/sleeping shot after only a few days at his new home.... Razz
Rocket, soon to be 9 years old. He's the largest Dalmatian we've ever had. Tall, long torso and 75 lbs of strapping excited Dal..... Shocked

Parents were both champions, my wife tracked down the breeder who raised him , so that's different for us too with this Dog. His Dad is still alive at 14 1/2 yrs, so we hope to get at least as long a time with Rocket...... Cool

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 77 of 89

Jump to: