Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cozmiccomet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Van carried me on a work camping trip to the Webber lake area and did some paddle boarding , bbq , hiking and good ole campfire fun. It went over Donner Summit and Little Truckee summit with a happy purr.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Floss did a fantastic job, here is a pic of me and my twins at BadLands. Then swooped down past the monstrosity on 16A, in the Black Hills, and landed in Douglass WY, where we were promptly accosted be local Law re sleeping in vehicle on public street. They were friendly, but did run my plates and drivers license. No fine, but directed to a local field for $75. Clear skies this AM. One other Westy in sight, probably 1000 other vehicle in sight.

gaanka
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

1984 1.9 Westy. All new fuel lines, coolant hoses, vacuum lines, and engine grounds. Other than that, about as stock as they come.

Took a drive out to watch the eclipse. The slider was a perfect projector screen.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:13 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Flossie flawlessly took me and my twins on a 56 hour trip to Douglas Wyoming, via the Badlands, Wall, the Black Hill's, Rushmore, Crazy Horse, pizza hut, street camping busted by cops, eclipse watching, and back home. ~1800 miles. No problems.

Last edited by bobbyblack on Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:53 pm; edited 3 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
unclebrad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Crossing the playa in the BlackRock - summer 2017
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

MN ---> NE & back...1750 mi eclipse trip w/only one surprise.

OK - here's proof! (WonderVan in totality):

FWIW, full report here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8539504&highlight=#8539504

...and surprise documented here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8538264&highlight=#8538264

...and here: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8538580&highlight=#8538580

All in all, another great weekend with the van! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
pbrown
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I took the van to Graham WA to pick up a Subaru 2.5L SOHC engine with harness and ECU.

The old engine's oil light has been flickering when hot.

Now the real work begins.

1986 Westy Syncro EJ25
Flickr --> https://flic.kr/s/aHsmQNUXEF
ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My mom and her friend took the van to the Wausau (WI) Festival of Arts. Almost 600 miles round trip. It had been decades since my mom drove a manual trans, so we had several lessons and practice drives. Still, I was nervous. But my mom and the van did just fine. The only casualty was one cracked mudflap...nothing to get upset about. Having fun and making memories. Smile
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^ Good man.
nesurfer99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Made it from Fernandina Beach, Florida to Tucson AZ. Pretty sure my CVs crapped out in western New Mexico, but managed to limp in to Tucson.

Anyway, thought I would share my camping locations. Is there another thread somewhere for this?

Night1: Payne Lake, Ala - only a few campsites, but most were available. Some mosquitoes. Quiet. Water. Clean, hot showers. Host. $12. Bring cash.

Night 2: Caddo national grassland, Tx. West lake Crockett campground. Only a few campsites. Empty but evidence of use. Quiet, on small lake. Water. Some road noise. Nats, mozzies. Slept in tent bc of heat at 9pm, but cooled overnight. Pit toilet. $4. (see photo below)

Night 3: cave campground, Fort Stanton-Snowy River Cave National Conservation Area (NM, near Lincoln). Found on freecampsites.net. Quiet. No water; toilet locked. Only a few sites, but all open when I got there. No mozzies.Gravel road to get in. Small herd of ~6 elk climbed past in the morning.

[img]
[/img]
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

nesurfer99 wrote:
...thought I would share my camping locations. Is there another thread somewhere for this?

Indeed: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=517708

Sounds like a great trip...I love a nice $4 campsite! Congrats! Cool

- Dave

ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Blue Barry carried me and my bicycle to the Apple Cider Century, in Three Oaks, Michigan. I popped the top in a park parking lot in town on Saturday, then camped at Indiana Dunes State Park on Sunday, after the ride. I saw another Westy at the post ride spaghetti dinner, but it was gone before I could take a closer look.

For those that are interested, the weather for the Century was a real drag -- 90 deg and full sun. Rolling Eyes I followed the full century route thru the first couple stops, but at the second to last stop, in the interest of safety, I bailed and took the 75 mile route back to town -- 81 miles total.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Flossie was the beast of burden: loaded 200# of apples at 6:50 am, joined friends and pressed juice until 12:20Pm. Headed home with 7 5 gal pails. Exhausted!

Weezyissuperfast
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took the family to the pumpkin patch!
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 22, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^ No pumpkin pics...??? Sad

- Dave

Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Flossie delivered fresh Batts to my solar array driven microwave/comm relay tower --- 420Ah's ready for the long nights! Theoretically, thats 17 days without sun (at the 1A I draw) and backed up by 225W panels which make an amp or more even on mostly cloudy days. Hopefully, this time I won't have the Batts go bonkers and boil down to nothing. New controller should keep that from happening this time.

crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My Doka took me to the Dump Saturday.....

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Went into hibernation... Wink

See you in March... Crying or Very sad

- Dave

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

That icicle is a nice touch. We'll let you hang onto it.
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took me on a nice run up to Belllingham, about 180 miles round trip. I think I only reached for my non-existent 5th gear once. The joy of getting into your top gear at 35mph or so and then w-i-i-i-i-i-i-n-d-i-n-g on to cruising speed…

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 53, 54, 55 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 54 of 89

Jump to: