Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2018 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

930 miles from Seattle to Pinnacles NP in 17 hours. Stopped for breakfast in pdx, four gas stops, a rest area or two for an average speed of 55 mph. Go, van go!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Then on to Jalama Beach County Park in Santa Barbara county...

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Slate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2018 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hauled home 300 sq/ft of sod, 30 2'x5' rolls without even noticing it was there. 30 rolls fills the area between the front seat and the bed to the height of the top of the stove. Always amazes me of how "truck" the Westy can be!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took my 4WD Westy Multivan to SyncroFest for a 4 day side trip. Spent 4 nights sleeping in it with my Engel refrigerator running and enjoying having cold food.
Since it was cold a few nights I fired up the Espar heater which promptly ran out of Kerosene.
Took it up the hill on some nasty trails and was able to use its Lockers and prayed I would not have to use my side Skid Bars.
As this was the first trip out after the AC install I was able to get a feel for how well the AC will work in the heat, the jury is still out.
All in all a great time, A non VW buddy stopped by for the day and I let him take it through theh challenge course and gave him some direction on Locker use in the hills when needed.
It performed as expected and mad eme realize that I need to use it more than I do.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Tatanka's about to take me and my crawfish rig up to an annual block party north of town so I can boil a few hundred pounds for a New Orleans buddy (who can't cook!?) and his neighbors. It will also serve as my residence when the party is over. Smile

Have a great Memorial Day weekend everybody.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2018 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Carried me through the North Cascades, complete with stealth camping Shhh and a bit of drama with an oil pressure alert and boilover…causes are under investigation.

Some highlights, video from a borrowed GoPro as a dash cam…

https://www.flickr.com/photos/pdb206/albums/72157691580994020

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
WestfaliaMike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Went camping last weekend. Newport News park, Virginia!

VicVan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

This is way less glamorous than the previous posts, but I'm happy I did this:

Bought a unit for an early Eurovan, spliced the wires because the connectors are different. Works like a charm. Hello, fan low speed !
elizer Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Power locks decided to poop the bed. Passenger side actuator would go down then pop back up causing all doors to unlock. drivers/slider worked fine. Happened last week I get the parts in today.
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

We had our first Red Rocks show of the season Saturday night.

Because we were running late, I couldn't get to my usual parking spot and had to go to the south side and park in the sea of commoners for the first time since 1996.

A bit frustrating, but it was a fun night anyway!

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
emccann86
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

had a great weekend trip from san diego to san onofre for a family birthday

on the trip home exhaust got really loud and sounded like it was coming from the driver's side now

next morning i peeled off the fiberglass exhaust wrap (po "installed") to find this beauty

now im in a pickle cause no one makes a cal emission exhaust kit and its not even smogged yet
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

This past weekend at Lion Rock on Table Mountain, WA...

Mt. Stuart (9,400 ft) in the side view mirror, Mt. Rainier (14,400 ft) in the distance...

A possible campsite with Mt. Rainier in the distance...

One of Saturday’s rainfalls...

It was a spectacular show.

Abscate wrote:

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Nice Cool

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
dsdunbar
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Very nice Jim! Was it cold/windy? Looks like youre pretty exposed in the photos...

jimf909 wrote:

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

dsdunbar wrote:
Very nice Jim! Was it cold/windy? Looks like youre pretty exposed in the photos...

jimf909 wrote:

It was cold and windy about half the time. The other half was sunny and calm. Very Happy The weather changed frequently. A good part of Saturday was spent in the van (there was light hail twice). Then we went for a hike in the sun...and then it started to rain again. Sunday was sunny and warm.

There were a few camp site possibilities well-protected by trees but we chose the exposed area with the amazing view (and questioned that choice when the wind continued into the night). Have I mentioned that the view was terrific? Very Happy The motos that arrived later were probably happy to have some trees for cover.

Abscate wrote:

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Since it's in the mid-90s and humid and therefore too awful to camp, the Westy lent us the use of the awning to shade the front stoop for brick work rebuild. The roof overhang is adequate until about 1 p.m. but awning and a box fan are really nice to have after that on any given day.

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

A rather chilly and stormy night on the Rocks

'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

www.josephtrussell.com
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took me & wife straight to Moab for a hotel night:

OK, OK, it sounds weird, but of course there's more to the story...details to come in separate post. Wink

Short version+essential stats:

- left home (NE MN) Monday 6/11 & on the way...
- van camped once in IA (city park @ $10), 3x in CO (2 free+1 Nat'l Park @ $30),
1x in AZ (free), 4x in UT (1 free, 1 USFS @ $18, 1 BLM @ $10 & 1 State Park @ $30)...
- After today's temps peaking above 100 degrees F, decided it's just a good time for a room
with AC, get laundry done, hit the brewery, have a delicious restaurant meal & stock up
supplies before hitting a few more wild spots & heading home in another day or two...

Cheers, all y'all...see you on the road! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Bit me in the butt when I was trying to fix it. While attempting to insert the E-clip on one of the locating posts (this is the "fuel line fix" for broken headlight adjusters) I leaned against the light to get some more muscle on the job and shattered the also-embrittled adjuster at the adjacent corner. Grrrrr! Good thing I have more fuel line and clips.

*later*

I removed the headlight holder on the passenger side and was able to do the adjuster fix of the two pieces on the bench, then got it all back together and the grille back on. Next?
vino de vano
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

After almost five years of modification, Vino fired up! I couldn't be happier.
Jamo7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Broke down!
I was hoping to post in the "What did you do to your van today?" about my new WBexhaust and the anti fill-up puke valve install. However, while driving it around town today on some shake out errands, a problem that had come up only once before a month ago decided break us down. Luckily my daughters and I were only 11 minutes from home, and my wife came to evacuate the young 'uns while I waited for the tow truck.
I'd say I got my first tow out of the way relatively easily.
Now its gunna be lots of quality time with the Digifant Training Manual...
It's kinda funny- all the other trinkets I put on don't matter much if it don't run.
Keeping a growth mindset for now,
James
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 56 of 89

Jump to: