Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Better get here quick - we're headed to the woods today! (Sullivan? Sand? McDougal? Not sure yet...)

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Better get here quick - we're headed to the woods today! (Sullivan? Sand? McDougal? Not sure yet...)

Wink

- Dave

PM sent, I'm pretty close !!
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I pulled the nasty trim plastic from all my window seals. Feels good!
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I pulled the nasty trim plastic from all my window seals. Feels good!

Yeah, it tidies up the van nicely, doesn't it? Very Happy
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Yeah, it tidies up the van nicely, doesn't it? Very Happy

Yes!!! I look forward to giving it a bath to see how it really looks!
Alluvial Van
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

She started making a lovely clicking noise from the back rear wheel. It's been on and off over the last year, mostly off and only when hot and going up inclines, but she started making the noise on flat ground. So, it was time to replace the CVs. I'm still a tad sore from that job.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Turned 287000 at Port Wing WI this AM .. over 4000 Miles in 12 days thus far on our double loop 'vacation' .

Will post some shots of the adventure when back 'home' from this adventure.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^ Good hustle! Cool

- Dave

Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2018 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Flossie 'elCampero' flawless 4567.8 mile August 2018 trip, completed at 8:02 PM Central tonight. 14 days, three hours two minutes.

On loop #2 of the summer whirlwind, went north to the Lake Superior Area:

Finally connected with DHaavers for breakfast after stealth camping in Duluth, then off northbound up to Grand Marais, found a great free camping area, and went off-grid for a few days with my son, while the lady folk attended a camp event near Ashland WI. Daughter #1 had the anniversary of her birth on the 15th, so we went back around the coast and celebrated late into the night there, then found a driveway camp offer in Bayfield WI, thanks Stick! (his nickname since age 5). Then shadow rolled behind Daughter #1 to the Duluth airport to send her and her fella off to Oklahoma to visit his father who is in poor health. Decided that a good oasis of family 2 hours back down US 35 was a good plan to wait out a couple more days until the Ashland event finalized today, and hustled back the 3 hours NorthEast to collect daughter #2. Packed her tent, and said a fond farewell to Lake Superior for the summer.

Happened on a few other Vanagon owners along the way, notabally Gillian and Pete in a 91 Full Westy with a GW 2.3 from central WI. Nicest folks! Hope they can stop by on their way through some time.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

ELO78
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Blue Barry carried my friend and me from Chicago to Hornell, NY, and back again -- about 1200 miles. Our intended destination was Watkins Glen International race track, just 60 miles from Hornell. Unfortunately, the music festival we were headed to was abruptly cancelled less than 24 hours before the band was set to take the stage. On the bright side, the van gave a flawless performance -- an absolute pleasure to drive on the open road. Smile
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2018 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Gave this little guy a ride around the neighborhood when I went out to shake off the cobwebs after a few weeks of being parked.

82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I drove the van around the race track at watkins glen

I'm afraid that our lap time was dismal

maximum speed I saw was 55 mph
the tracks best time is something under 1 minute and 30 seconds.
so I should probably keep my day job but it was fun anyways
john
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^ Fun!

- Dave

MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took us and our two new canoes out to the lake.
We had driven to Calgary to pick up the boats Monday (they were wrapped like mummies) from the cross shipper. Canoes are from Swift, really nice little canoes but no local sellers, had to arrange shipping, was a major pain but we're happy with the boats.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^Pretty boats! I've been involved with selling canoes and kayaks for nearly 30 years. Shipping them is a monstrous PITA. Even with ridiculous amounts of packaging they can end up damaged. It's no fun to unpack a customer's custom kevlar canoe to discover a scratch in the gel coat or worse.

Enjoy the paddling!

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
^^^Pretty boats! I've been involved with selling canoes and kayaks for nearly 30 years. Shipping them is a monstrous PITA. Even with ridiculous amounts of packaging they can end up damaged. It's no fun to unpack a customer's custom kevlar canoe to discover a scratch in the gel coat or worse.Enjoy the paddling!

Thanks!
Yep, they are really nice and light custom kevlar Keewaydin 14' pack boats (about 27 lbs).
They shipped my boat earlier this summer, but when we showed up at the cross shippers the boat was a wooden tandem!
The shipper had managed to lose the boat, partly Swift's fault for not clearly marking our name and city on the packing, partly the driver's fault for not paying attention.
My boat ended up in Vancouver where the wooden tandem was supposed to go. By the time they found the canoe and arranged to ship back to Calgary it was damaged and had to be returned to Swift and remade.

Swift makes a great boat, but their customer service (at least for shipping) is quite poor. Bad communication lead to repeated trips to Calgary to finally get both canoes. Swift did learn their lesson about packaging the boats though, when we got there to pick up both canoes Monday they were wrapped in three layers of protection! Forgot to take a picture; it was kinda amusing, the packaging weighed more than the boats!

We're using the older Thule cross bars on the Syncro with foam pipe insulation for protection. I'm thinking about a roller system for loading the boats, being really light any bumps are a problem.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

MsTaboo wrote:

They shipped my boat earlier this summer, but when we showed up at the cross shippers the boat was a wooden tandem!
The shipper had managed to lose the boat, partly Swift's fault for not clearly marking our name and city on the packing, partly the driver's fault for not paying attention.
My boat ended up in Vancouver where the wooden tandem was supposed to go. By the time they found the canoe and arranged to ship back to Calgary it was damaged and had to be returned to Swift and remade.

Oh my. Unfortunately, that isn't at all surprising. Drop ships to stores? Damages. Ship to a DC and ship to stores? Damages. Fancy reusable shipping containers? Fewer damages but expensive, esp. in returning the containers to a DC. Nice boats weren't meant to be shipped. Old Town Disco 169s? They're nearly indestructable but who wants a 90lb canoe. Very Happy

Boats, like good Vanagons, may be worth a cross-country trip to pick-up.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
Fancy reusable shipping containers? Fewer damages but expensive, esp. in returning the containers to a DC.

The classic "backhaul" problem, best exemplified by the next coal train you see. Going back for more all those cars will be empty.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Turned 289k on our way home.. We drive Floss as our DD as long as the salt isn't on the road Smile My 16yo twins cheered, and didn't mind pulling over for this memento:

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

(Sorry no van pic, but...)

Picked up a little prop for our high school band halftime show this week...here we are trying it on for size yesterday:

OBLIGATORY VANAGON CONTENT:

Q: Who knew a 40'x80' American flag weighs in at ~150 pounds and <barely> fits in the rear hatch over the engine bay...???
A: Now I do...

Wink Laughing Cool

- Dave

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 58 of 89

Jump to: