Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2018 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Turned 289k on our way home.. We drive Floss as our DD as long as the salt isn't on the road Smile My 16yo twins cheered, and didn't mind pulling over for this memento:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I'll bet the kids were pleased they put 5K of those miles on during this summer's road trip.

We're nearly on the same mileage, mine turned 290K on 8/19/2018. I'll race you to 300K! Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
shagginwagon83
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I finally pulled out the old fridge. Started my own fridge delete kit. So much rust behind the fridge. Bad rust =\
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:

I'll bet the kids were pleased they put 5K of those miles on during this summer's road trip.

We're nearly on the same mileage, mine turned 290K on 8/19/2018. I'll race you to 300K! Very Happy

They are tickled with every trip we take, and always would rather me drive them to HS right to the door with Floss than the Toyota... They much prefer the 'Dub on all occasions.

I think 6 or 7K miles a year is probably a good average on mine, and I put her away for the salt months (Nov-Mar). How about you? I don't get into races without at least some base idea if I will loose, be close, or make an easy win Wink

BTW, Now I've got a spare good tranny and known good spare stock 2.1 on hand. Might be a pit stop, but no backing off for a transplant. How about you?

-bobby
B.O.B.Wanders
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

The dreaded vapor lock. After a couple of hours slowly slogging along Forest Service gravel roads in the North Georgia mountains, we found a nice candidate spot and for the night and pulled in. When I jumped in to re-position for level a few minutes later, BOB decided he was done for a while and took a break.

Turned out to be a great spot with a beautiful sunset for dinner. I should listen to BOB more often.

"It feels good to be lost in the right direction” - unknown
McVanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Radwood Phillidelphia

View user's profile Send private message Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Welcomed home its new roommate and probable successor.

Kind of a bittersweet day. Since buying the Westy 12 years ago we've been discussing something larger for more space and longer trips. The bride refuses to consider coast-to-coast distances in the Vanagon. We always thought we'd do a Sprinter (or the like) buildout but prices are insane. Then we found something. It's hiding behind the Westy.

A '94 Dodge B350 highroof. Ex-wheelchair van with stand-up interior space for its full length and empty from the front seats on back. A blank camper canvas and cheap enough to be doable. Yes, it's a big ass van and yes, it's ugly and no, it's not a VW. Sorry. Flame suit on.

teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

A mid-October trip to the east side of the Cascade Crest, blue skies, leaves turning, and enjoyable driving.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

teej wrote:

A mid-October trip to the east side of the Cascade Crest, blue skies, leaves turning, and enjoyable driving.

Lovely. Is that Icicle Creek?
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:

Little bit further north...Methow River near Mazama.
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

teej wrote:
Jake de Villiers wrote:

Little bit further north...Methow River near Mazama.

Right. Been there, too! Wink
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
11BC2
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My Joker lost 3rd/4th last night and trans feels chunky backing up.☹️
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Just after I finished fixing up an exhaust gasket, the metal coolant hose on the driver side decided it was too rusty to continue. Sad

Perfect excuse to pull the swapped 1.9 carb motor out and put the 2.1 that should have been in there from the beginning.
bettingonvans
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Summer 2018: 3 month, 12,000 mile trip all around the intermountain west with wife and 1-month old baby.

'Mechanical events' included water pump belt, fuel filter, ignition coil and window crank. Had spares to cover all. Huge shout out to Art at Import Workshop in Hailey, ID for helping me work through a running issue which we could not diagnose but seemed to disappear when the O2 sensor was disconnected and then reconnected.

Those three months were life changing for my wife and me. We bought our van and restored it specifically for the purpose of taking a long parental leave to explore the country and welcome our baby into this way of life.

A huge thanks as well to these boards for all the help I've found during our restoration efforts. Without you all I'm sure we'd have had more mechanical issues during those months!

joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bettingonvans wrote:
Summer 2018: 3 month, 12,000 mile trip all around the intermountain west with wife and 1-month old baby.

Congrats, that's fantastic. It deserves a full Trip Report thread!

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
riceye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
bettingonvans wrote:

Congrats, that's fantastic. It deserves a full Trip Report thread!

Agreed, especially your provisions for the baby's car seat, please. I'm a new grandpa and this is important to me.

There's gonna be some changes made.

“I find that things usually go well right up until the moment they don't.” - Ahwahnee

"Quality isn't method. It's the goal toward which the method is aimed." - Socrates, later quoted by R.M. Pirsig
bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Got the van up to the mountains, and it's winter up in NH right now. Hiked Saturday and today, sleeping in the van in the Pinkham Notch Visitor Center parking lot last night. 150 miles each way and no issues! Just me and the dog - good livin'.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took a drive to Gem Lake in November with my son were trying to get the van out more all year long. Realize I need better tires for the snowy spots. Love the ice on BOB too what tires you running?

bobhill8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hey Andrew - they are BF Goodrich All Terrain T/A LT 215 75 R15. They were put on by the PO and they have been good overall, though I haven't driven them a LOT in the snow. In the end, it's still a rear wheel drive vehicle. I would read the tire thread and see what people think. By the way, love The Donut Haus in Estes Park! Bob
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:

They are tickled with every trip we take, and always would rather me drive them to HS right to the door with Floss than the Toyota... They much prefer the 'Dub on all occasions.

I think 6 or 7K miles a year is probably a good average on mine, and I put her away for the salt months (Nov-Mar). How about you? I don't get into races without at least some base idea if I will loose, be close, or make an easy win Wink

BTW, Now I've got a spare good tranny and known good spare stock 2.1 on hand. Might be a pit stop, but no backing off for a transplant. How about you?

-bobby

Just saw this..

My van is on the road most of the year here in Seattle. We’ve started salting (or some concoction that accelerates rust) so I try to stay off the roads on those days but it’s being used more and more.

My tranny seems good (except for a whine in 2nd gear). It may be sidelined this winter to get a Peloquin.

See you on the road (who cares who gets to 300k first). Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
whip618
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Four inches of snow prior to our hunt made the roads very slick and muddy but the syncro pulling a trailer never missed a beat, did not even need to engage the rear locker in all the mud. I love my syncro.

Phil

Samba Member No. 3307
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 58, 59, 60 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 59 of 89

Jump to: