Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Another night at Red Rocks, the fifth in twelve days. Our usual spot was taken (the nerve!) so went a little further up and found a great spot.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
andrewvwco
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2019 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Little trip up to Endovalley in RMNP for a evening picnic and hike. The wife says the van gets us out for fun more and I agree 100%.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Today was supposed to be straight forward. Load my Vanagon with tools and materials and head Southward.....

Worked a bit on a 2 flat that we still own for now on the South side of Chicago
Met with the Real Estate broker about selling it, she took all her necessary photos and at some point we ended up in the basement for more pictures.
It was there that we thought we discovered a dead cat.
The basement had been broken into sometime during the winter and we had only discovered this 3 weeks ago and reboarded the plywood up that had been literally beaten apart by who ever was looking for shelter .
Both the Real Estate lady and I thought the poor cat had gotten trapped by the redo of the plywood, with no one knowing it was hiding in the open basement.

She left and about 30 minutes later I solemnly went to move the ‘dead’ cat, only to find it was still alive but not in any shape to probably survive much longer.
I thought it maybe had suffered a stroke since its front legs were rigid in front of it and it barely moved its back legs, but they moved normally when moving at all.
I carefully picked up the very sick cat and loaded it gently into the rear of the Vanagon. Googled a nearby Vet that was 5 minutes away and headed over.
No dice, they couldn’t take the cat, instead they sent me 10 minutes away from there to another animal care place, who in turn expressed regret that the first place had sent me at all since they had no Vet on the premises.

At this point I hoped back in the Van and headed for the Northside of Chicsgo, to our Vet. Called my wife, to have her in turn call the Vet, so they knew I, and the dying cat were on our way.
I battled heavy highway traffic, finally made it to the Vet.
Carefully laid the very ill cat with the staff and waited for the news I knew was coming.
They felt it had suffered spinal damage or a toxin with regards to the rigid front half, and was in too bad of shape to save, so they humanely put the poor suffering cat to sleep, finally out of its misery after laying in that basement all alone for who knows how long.

The Van performed flawlessly, never running hot or missing a beat as I kind of pushed on it a bit to race to my Vet , even in slow, slogging traffic at times.
So today it was an Animal Ambulance, very unexpectedly.

2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
MsTaboo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

A sad story, but thank you for showing the empathy and the care to help the poor creature.

The information age has morphed into the age of disinformation and willful ignorance. Agnotology!
Help the fight against Truth Decay.
Defend democracy, support Ukraine.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

x2 Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Thanks guys, there was just no way I was going to abandon that poor animal.
It also highlighted how rough Strays have it in a poorer neighborhood with regards to finding care , since there were two places within minutes of me that couldn’t take the cat in.
BCE56
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

@ type7-
Feral cats have a rough time of it.
There is one living in the junkpile behind the place where I work. She is unapproachable, very skittish but takes the food and water we leave out for her. A prolific breeder: 3-4 per litter like clockwork. We have managed to find homes for some of the kittens but many have disappeared...

'86 Syncro tintop
EJ22, OBD II early SC adapter plate conversion

Side project: '69 Frankenbug "It's alive!"
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alpharainbow
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Over the last couple of weeks, I took my van for its first few drives. First, to Lieipzig and back from Berlin (400km round trip), and the exhaust pipe shattered and broke. Welded it back together and set off for the south of France (1600km), and now I’m in Barcelona, about 2000km from Berlin. I’ve topped up the oil and the coolant, and have a minor leak in my gearbox.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2019 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Perfect Park Day... weather was sunny and not too hot.
Loaded up our a Dog and headed to the Lakefront.
Great time was had by all.
Then we had to, in our Dogs mind..., ruin it by taking him to get a much needed bath at our local Pet Supply Store.
He’s White and Spotted all over again with nary a dingy area..... Razz
Smells way better too.
Still getting questions and compliments on the Vanagon....
Tomorrow I might install a 3rd brake assembly.
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My Trusty work horse turned to 400000 K miles. It's had a fair amount of work done to it, but it keeps plugging along.

Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82westyrabbit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I made a leap of faith. I sent the van on a three day camping trip with out me to Falcon Ridge folk festival with my wife. I got called out of town like usual. The van made it there and back with no damage or break downs Very Happy John
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

She made a noise:

Out driving in an unusual neighborhood, I happened to run across a particularly uneven and cross mounded section of pavement in an intersection. I heard a Grrrunch noise from the passenger rear. Figured I had just gotten a bunch of muddy gravel (Oh ya, did I mention that I have a few miles of gravel on my commute?) up in something in the rear. Took a look, the only evidence I could see at first was that the parking brake cable had clearly been moving a little in the hanger of the trailing arm. Well.. I had to take a closer look as to how that could be happening. I don't think there should be gaps between the mounts and the bushings, do you?

(More in my gallery, but these are clearly the worst)
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Used my Doka to give my guy Arrow his last ride....

Crying or Very sad

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Crying or Very sad
. Was he ailing?.... Crying or Very sad
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
crukab wrote:

Crying or Very sad
. Was he ailing?.... Crying or Very sad

Yes, he was 13, had a tumor on his splean, great Dog, had him 9 years, our 1st GSD, we have had 3 more since we got him.

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My condolences, Tom. It's hard to lose a buddy like that.

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mdege
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Went on a two week 3500km road trip to Sweden.

1965 21F: Restoration of a former '65 firetruck
1963 Typ3 Notchback project
1988 Multivan Magnum 112i
1984 Standard: My son wanted a bug for his first car
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Another Dog Trip to a City Park. If our Dog could, he would drive himself to this Park... Razz
The Air and Water Show is here for the weekend, so our Dog is losing his mind with the Jets screaming by overhead from time to time. Quiet time out in a Park, North of us, helps him calm down since no Jets were flying this afternoon until maybe later.

Parked at the Curb, slowly outgassing Eastwood Rust Encapsulator.... Wink
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My wife and I are half of the contemporary bluegrass band Story House.

Dixie just took us on tour through the Kootenays to Alberta and mostly back.
We drove from White Rock to Kelowna on Tuesday where we played at the Snedden House concert, Procter on Wednesday where we played at the amazingly beautiful B&B The Poppy Inn, Thursday night we played an outdoor concert in Millennium Park in Creston, then over the Crowsnest Pass to Nanton, Alberta for three days of music at the Shady Grove Bluegrass Festival.

Great weather, great audiences, unbelievable scenery - and Dixie's been great, too. Cool

Saw Doug from Idaho in his bright yellow van over on the road to the Balfour Ferry as we made our way back to Procter to visit old friends.
I waved at him and was kinda shocked that he didn't wave back. That makes twice now... Confused
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

crukab wrote:

Crying or Very sad

Such a good looking dog. Sad for the end, happy for all that came before. Crying or Very sad Very Happy

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 63, 64, 65 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 64 of 89

Jump to: