Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_egret

It's an egret.
As opposed to its cousin, the so so Egret... Wink

Thanks, I had forgotten to check Wikipedia to ID the bird. It was fun watching several of them work either side of the Lagoon where we were in the Kayak.

If you're bird-curious, the Merlin Bird ID app put out by Cornell University will help you id many birds by answering a few questions (where, size, colors, activity, etc.).

It's not perfect but it can be surprisingly helpful.
https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/

Snowy Egret on the left, Great Egret on the right. Great Egret, larger than a Snowy Egret with Yellow bill and black legs and feet...
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Great_Egret/id
Tjhanks, Jim, I'm going to check that out.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
175grams
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2020 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Had a great weekend of camping + MTB in Tecpan, Guatemala
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jimf909 wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
4Gears4Tires wrote:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_egret

It's an egret.
As opposed to its cousin, the so so Egret... Wink

Thanks, I had forgotten to check Wikipedia to ID the bird. It was fun watching several of them work either side of the Lagoon where we were in the Kayak.

If you're bird-curious, the Merlin Bird ID app put out by Cornell University will help you id many birds by answering a few questions (where, size, colors, activity, etc.).

It's not perfect but it can be surprisingly helpful.
https://merlin.allaboutbirds.org/

Snowy Egret on the left, Great Egret on the right. Great Egret, larger than a Snowy Egret with Yellow bill and black legs and feet...

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Great_Egret/id

I also thank you. We get pretty close to the water birds while kayaking. Either they’re used to people or just more fearless than smaller birds.... Razz Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2020 8:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Now that the charging system is fixed, back to work for the Vanagon.
I brought home my nieces resonator assembly for her Honda CRV, a sheet of 3/4 flooring plywood, a 1/2” thick full sheet of drywall and another sheet, but only 3/8” thick.
Nice to have that cargo space again..... Dancing Dancing
mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2021 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My van carried me to this park on a river near my house where I could watch the sunset right now. I blew my knee out and just finished the first of 3-4 months on crutches. So, my van is giving me a little bit of joy in this instance I would not otherwise have- and it would NOT be the same in almost any other motor vehicle.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Was unclear on the concept today. I loaded it with stuff to be donated to a local charity, mostly clothing and kitchen goods. The place was temporarily closed so I stopped by a local bike co-op that was also closed but I rescued an old Gitane mixte from the dumpster.

Came home with more stuff than I left with. Not the intended object of the exercise.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2021 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

mikemtnbike wrote:
My van carried me to this park on a river near my house where I could watch the sunset right now. I blew my knee out and just finished the first of 3-4 months on crutches. So, my van is giving me a little bit of joy in this instance I would not otherwise have- and it would NOT be the same in almost any other motor vehicle.
[img]

Bike crash? I hope your knee is better by the summer so you don't miss out on this upcoming season.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Was unclear on the concept today. I loaded it with stuff to be donated to a local charity, mostly clothing and kitchen goods. The place was temporarily closed so I stopped by a local bike co-op that was also closed but I rescued an old Gitane mixte from the dumpster.
Came home with more stuff than I left with. Not the intended object of the exercise.

Haha!
Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
mcarlson_sb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Andy!

Joshua Tree

Boondocking on BLM land outside Quartzsite AZ

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Went to our local dog walking park by the lake today to beat the incoming snow that is supposed to double what’s on the ground now.
Walked through the few inches of snow we have already gotten recently, then camped out in the Vanagon for Lunch once we were done walking the dog.
Used our Jet Boil stove to heat up water for tea and hot cocoa, that took the chill off the walk nicely.... Cool
Then dealt with the non-stop dog drooling while we tried to eat lunch.... Razz Razz Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
This was our first time eating lunch in the Vanagon during Winter, versus when it’s Summer outside. I am now thinking about the various add-on heaters everyone’s been installing on their Vanagons so we don’t have to run the engine to get heat inside. It wasn’t that cold today, and running the two heaters for a bit worked fine while also running the engine, but I can see the benefits of a stand-alone heater for Winter.
Teatoe993
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Diving in deep. Drove this down to Jeff at Autoventures last weekend. Wallet opened.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

With the minivan gone our Westy is getting to do many of the mundane chores that used to belong to another van. Yesterday we carted home several 10' lengths of black pipe for a non-plumbing project, seen here resting nicely on the bed and the dog gate.

Today we put the tow-loop hitch to work yanking old forsythia plants out of the garden.

Just another mess of chores around the homestead.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Picked up 225 bricks. Starting on a steep incline was interesting. Needed a lot more throttle, nearly stalled it. Braking was even worse. Laughing That's only ~1100lbs, so I don't know how some of you guys are running around with 6000lb decked out campers with stock motors. No wonder the motor and trans last 30k miles.

This is making me reconsider a pop top. Or any interior. Or anything. I need to that stripped out tin top lightweight life style.
dobryan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

4Gears4Tires wrote:

Picked up 225 bricks. Starting on a steep incline was interesting. Needed a lot more throttle, nearly stalled it. Braking was even worse. Laughing That's only ~1100lbs, so I don't know how some of you guys are running around with 6000lb decked out campers with stock motors. No wonder the motor and trans last 30k miles.

This is making me reconsider a pop top. Or any interior. Or anything. I need to that stripped out tin top lightweight life style.

Hmm. You should not have braking issues with that load in a tin top. Time to be sure your brakes are fully functional maybe .....

"To travel hopefully is a better thing than to arrive." Robert Louis Stevenson

MD>Canada>AK>WA>OR>CA>AZ>UT>WY>SD
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=620646

Building a bus for travel in Europe (euroBus)
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=695371

The Western Syncro build
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=746794
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:13 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I'm sure they are fully functional. It's just that I can easily tell the added stopping distance required by the extra 1100lbs in load. It's similar to when I'd flat tow my rallycross car. I can feel that extra strain on the brakes.
deadaheadub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hauled 800 lbs of lead acid batteries from my home solar PV system to the recyclers. SLOW going up the hill into Santa Fe. The $200 return on the cores was definitely worth the effort.

Past loves: '65 Bug, '70 Westy poptop, '64 Squareback project, '76 Westy tintop "Loose Lucy", '76 Westy tintop "Sharee"
Current:'84 Westy poptop "Ramblin' Rose- Rosie" w/ 2003 Subaru EJ25 conversion
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Moved to the other side of the yard and yanked more bushes out of the garden. These were bigger and the pulling was tougher but it beats having to dig them out.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2021 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

More work for the trailer hitch, this time hauling my bro-in-law's wood splitter up to his place for him to borrow. Since we heat with wood and have a garage he offered to let us keep it parked inside for him, a deal we gladly took, but occasionally he gets some fireplace wood that needs splitting. Turns out when U-Haul installed his hitch they didn't wire his four-wire plug correctly so he could not use my trailer, but I was glad to help him out.

Ramsplitter electric, in case anyone's curious. Highly recommended.

Viva.Sabata
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

It's not really recently, more like what evil has been lurking in my van for the past five months! Been doing tons of upgrades over the social-distanced winter. EVERYTHING (nearly) has to be a monumental PIA. Frozen bolts, spinning rivets, holes taking a monumental effort to properly align...the list goes on.

My van isn't usually this fussy, but it's putting me close to the edge of giving up.

Someone please talk me off the ledge here haha.
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Keep at it so that it can keep surprising you with how difficult it can continue to be.

Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 71, 72, 73 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 72 of 89

Jump to: