Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Time to restock the woodshed for next winter so when I heard chainsaws in the neighborhood today I had to go check it out. The guys said they'd leave good wood at the curb for me so I went back later and got what I could, with more to come tomorrow. Oboy!
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

This will be my M.O. until I get about four cords cut and split and stacked in prep for the next heating season.
schortie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 3:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Looks like some good white oak! (at least from here.) Good score, but awful heavy. That's a hearty van you have there.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

That's actually pretty dry, from a standing dead tree. Still not lightweight but I was not going far.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Five trailer loads of firewood thus far. Probably five more to come. Less awful to do now than it would be in the middle of summer. The pix would all look the same except the pile of wood gets bigger.
ChronicTiger
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

First major road trip in my Vanagon just completed. 2300 no issue mile round trip!!! Was confident in it, put too much hard earned cash into it to have it fail - but it is always in the back of my mind when so far from home. Proved to me it's a machine! Climbing through the mountains of WV was pretty SLOW - glad for that semi lane going up the steep inclines.

dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

^^^ Nice looking rig...love that color! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Nice looking unit!

You've painted you white top as I plan to..... except you went across the top of the rear window rubber.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Rough week for us. Mother-in-law died on Monday, and my Mother died yesterday in the morning. 93 and 88 respectively.
During the week my wife and a friend had started the process of packing up our nieces inheritance to distribute to them. With a rare bit of luck, one of them was in town visiting instead of her home in Texas, so we have 3 in town for a change instead of the normal two.
We loaded up the Vanagon with all those boxes, a few going to UPS for the last niece who also lives in Texas near her sister.
We looked like an Amazon Truck for a bit... Razz Razz
Dropped off first load , picked up visiting niece and then went to lunch as a treat for her, and as a bit of solace for me since I was still reeling a bit from my Mother dying that day.
Headed to next niece , who was off from work, and schleeped a few boxes up two floors to her apartment.
Then headed out on the highway to drop off things for my wife’s Sister and finalize the memorial service tomorrow for their Mother.
Perfect weather and the Vanagon was behaving too.
Back to the Funeral Home to pick up memorial cards and finish with payment of Mother-in-Laws service.
Last two stops were Gas Station, then UPS for the remaining boxes getting shipped out. Not a huge amount of miles, but just constant driving in the City around and around.
For me, it was a bit of therapy having everything working right with our Vanagon, I don’t think I would have handled a breakdown very well yesterday... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Jake de Villiers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:
Rough week for us. Mother-in-law died on Monday, and my Mother died yesterday in the morning. 93 and 88 respectively.
During the week my wife and a friend had started the process of packing up our nieces inheritance to distribute to them. With a rare bit of luck, one of them was in town visiting instead of her home in Texas, so we have 3 in town for a change instead of the normal two.
We loaded up the Vanagon with all those boxes, a few going to UPS for the last niece who also lives in Texas near her sister.
Dropped off first load , picked up visiting niece and then went to lunch as a treat for her, and as a bit of solace for me since I was still reeling a bit from my Mother dying that day.
Headed to next niece , who was off from work, and schleeped a few boxes up two floors to her apartment.
Then headed out on the highway to drop off things for my wife’s Sister and finalize the memorial service tomorrow for their Mother.
Back to the Funeral Home to pick up memorial cards and finish with payment of Mother-in-Laws service.
Last two stops were Gas Station, then UPS for the remaining boxes getting shipped out. Not a huge amount of miles, but just constant driving in the City around and around.
For me, it was a bit of therapy having everything working right with our Vanagon, I don’t think I would have handled a breakdown very well yesterday... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Mmm. I'm so sorry for your losses. Cruel and unusual to lose both matriarchs so close together.
http://sites.google.com/site/subyjake/mydixiedarlin%27
www.crescentbeachguitar.com
www.thebassspa.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Jake de Villiers wrote:
jlrftype7 wrote:
Mmm. I'm so sorry for your losses. Cruel and unusual to lose both matriarchs so close together.
. Thank you for the kind words. My mother regularly complained of still being alive, so she’s definitely happier now. Wife’s mom suffered from Dementia, so it was more a of merciful situation in her case, coupled with some chronic health issues at the end.
To add to the weirdness, my Mother died on the birthday of my Dads sister, who herself, had died a few years ago. And I had my Bladder Cancer surgery last month on my Moms birthday.
Weird times for us all around....
crukab
Samba Chef

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

jlrftype7 wrote:

Wow, that is a lot to handle in one week, sorry for your loss. All that packing & travel was probably good to be doing something constructive.
My Mom left us on Oct. 1st, 2020, Alzheimer's, it was BRUTAL. Even with 2 brothers and a sister, a wife & 2 grown kids, I still feel a bit lost and alone at times.
I did bring home from my Brothers house 2 weeks ago, my folks 1st Hutch, Kitchen Table and a Dry sink my Dad built, it all fit in the back of the Doka !

My Pops:
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=604100&highlight=
I know you will always be with me, rest in peace with no more pain. 8/13/14.....

In the yard right now:
'51 Dodge 5 window truck
'65 Bug
'66 Singlecab
'82 Rabbit Truck Diesel from CALI Smile
'86 Doublecab W/T
'91 Vanagon carat/wolfsbrg.Tiico
'88 Dodge Ram pickup
'11 Jetta Wagon
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:11 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My van went on its maiden voyage this past weekend, and I recorded some footage of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZR1-4mhllE

Feel free to ignore the youtube-y title and the oil pressure light.
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
joetiger Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

joyfulpursuit wrote:
My van went on its maiden voyage this past weekend, and I recorded some footage of it.

The filmmaking skills of Samba members continue to impress and entertain. This is another great video, thanks for posting it!

I think you should add it to the Quick Trips thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750913&highlight=quick++trips

'86 NAHT Vanagon GL Syncro/ supercharged ABA 2.0 "Pigpen"
'04 GTI 1.8T
'04 Golf R32

"get metaphysical with it. if it's simply a means to get to and from places, it will let you down. if it becomes your zen, it can't fail you." -dabaron

"Still, it's good to be afield."--VWagabond

Available Now! Vanagon to Louisiana--A Two-Lane Reckoning Through Past and Present

www.josephtrussell.com
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joyfulpursuit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

joetiger wrote:
joyfulpursuit wrote:

The filmmaking skills of Samba members continue to impress and entertain. This is another great video, thanks for posting it!

I think you should add it to the Quick Trips thread:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=750913&highlight=quick++trips

That’s very kind of you - I appreciate it! I will post there also Smile
that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life - John 3:16
🚐 1987 Westy, EJ22 small car conversion
🚗 1991 e30 325i Sport MTech II coupe
📸 instagram.com/joyfilledpursuit
4Gears4Tires
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu May 13, 2021 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My van sat through 20 minutes of stop and go traffic and it didn't spew it's coolant everywhere or overheat.

I was fairly impressed.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2021 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took more things to Salvation Army as we slowly go through the house after Mother in Laws passing. I’ve made multiple trips, and a friend helping us has made loaded trips in her car too.
Between MIL and Great Grand Mother, decades of accumulated stuff to sort through. Weirdest one was that 3 unopened bottles of 1950s Bourbon went for $1000 to a liquor broker in a heart beat.... Shocked Shocked Shocked who’d thunk it... Razz Razz Razz
Then headed to Garden Center and picked up eight 40 lb bags of Top Soil and 2 bags of Pear Moss. Added 2 hanging baskets of Annuals to that and we have some yard work to do now....... d'oh!
Vanagon took it all in stride.

mikemtnbike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2021 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My wife took our van out to run some errands that involved hauling large items yesterday (borrowing an inversion table from a friend, buying new patio furniture). Solo driving of the van is not something she does very often.

She called me from the road just to say how great the van was running- smooth in every way were her words. "I can tell all your work has paid off, makes me feel safer when we're on the road."

Good job van, thanks for doing that.
dustino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 1:56 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Dilly (barely) made it over Hell’s Backbone in southern Utah last week. And then she lost power but let’s not worry about that for now.
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2021 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Got first place:

in the bus row line.. didn't place in the awards though, heh.. Fun to see the gang!

Made it back home too!! Temps in the mid 90's F, used the AC the whole trip, and kept the throttle back a bit. Tried to keep the engine case sensor (aftermarket) below 220F, and the needle from going above 'touching' the LED. Still managed 19MPG.

Met a bunch of nice VW enthusiasts, and gave one guy a TS sticker.. His Vanagon had so many stickers, but not one TS sticker!!! gosh Wally, here's a sticker!!! He appreciated it Wink

Met a guy who was just out on a bike ride and spotted the show. He recognized that these were 'different' from the usual car show folks. Said he loved the colors. Pointed at a KG and said obviously he didn't know enough about what VW "was" so I chatted up the general history. Maybe the market for nostalgic VW ownership just climbed up one notch?

Good to be home!!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Another work load trip. I'm just thrilled that I can easily move all this stuff basically 3 months after surgery. progress for both me and the Vanagon.

5 bags of Concrete, 4 bags of Gravel, a couple of saw blades, hole saw and Bonder glue. The trip into work held 5 bags of trash to go into one of the dumpsters at work. I think the Concrete stuff weighs a bit more..... Smile Smile

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 72, 73, 74 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 73 of 89

Jump to: