Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

charleslabri wrote:
@carver96, WAY TO HOLD UP THE PREZ!

Presidential visits really mess up traffic.
Years ago I flying out of Medford Oregon and was due to depart about the time Gerald Ford landed in Airforce one.

The entire Airport stopped, I had connections in San Francisco which I did not make.........

Living in Northern Jersey not far from Trumps golf course...... traffic snarls became a regular way of life with his frequent visits.

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Headed East to Madison WI this morning. The band is recording at our studio there this year. I'll get the guys to unload when they arrive, I'm having a nap while waiting... Nothing like driving into 8" of sloppy snow to start a whirlwind weekend!! I'm glad I'm not the guy coming in by United from Denver! Landing in this weather would require diapers.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2023 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hauled some more stuff for the house. We're redoing the living room and enclosed a useless corner to make a firewood bin adjacent to the hearth and I had two sheetmetal bins made, and I got to pick them up today.

Another thing the van did was to beat up my clutch foot, the one that's been giving me trouble recently as a result of an old fall injury.
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Mrs. Black slipped on some ice, needed followup Dr visit with her GP. The storm track looked like hell for the 3 hour drive I'd be rolling this AM, so I got her into the bus last PM and we 'camped' at a truck stop 5 miles away. Now in waiting room.. Its been fun, I guess...

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

bobbyblack wrote:
Mrs. Black slipped on some ice, needed followup Dr visit with her GP. The storm track looked like hell for the 3 hour drive I'd be rolling this AM, so I got her into the bus last PM and we 'camped' at a truck stop 5 miles away. Now in waiting room.. Its been fun, I guess...

So sorry to hear this. How's she doing now?
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hey jlrftype7,

Shes still got the fluttery eyes thing, and really tired. We're taking it easy. Another Dr visit on Wednesday.

Hope you and yours are doing well!!

Happy Mardi Gras!
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Vanagon took my MIG welder to work . The welder sits on a Harbor Freight Welding Cart, which in turn gets strapped securely to the Mc-Master Carr eyelets that are bolted to the front seat belt anchors on the floor. Works great, no issues with worrying about the wheeled cart moving around. I don't often find a use for those anchors that I installed, but for this application, they're perfect.

indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took me for a mtb ride.

And oh it is nice to grab a drink and change in the back.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2023 10:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Speaking of bikes, dragged home Raleigh Tourist bones from the discard pile at the local co-op.

indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2023 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

campism wrote:
Speaking of bikes, dragged home Raleigh Tourist bones from the discard pile at the local co-op.

Love the fenders!

-Joe
plummerdesign
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2023 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

The bus in my life. It hauls a trailer when I need doors, furniture, supplies, rocks, or to take tree chunks to the recycling yard. It takes people and their copious amounts of luggage to the airport. It takes me to instantaneous photo shoots in the mountains, picks up PCT hikers and all their gear, plus it offers a great place to stay cozy while stargazing thanks to the propex heater. Oh, and it is a fine burro. I fill it with my gear, kayaks on the roof, bikes on the back, and a generous allotment of food for my UN-planned ventures. A burro that is more akin to a mountain goat. I force it along railroad tracks, over questionable bridges, through murky ponds that might have once been a sort of roadbed, and I wonder why the kitchen lid rattles? Simmer down!
This week I looked at it, all dirty from being outside and thought about WASHING it. The bus knows it stays outside. It is not like the electric cars that get to stay in the garage. But it does not care.
The bus, my camper…is my FAVORITE.
So, Saturday there was a choice. Do yardwork to clean up the damage of winter, OR throw the bike, kayak, and gear into the dirty bus and go play. I’m weak. It was so good to get out and away, to ride under a sunny sky and hike until my feet said “mkay we dun”. Of course the sun left and rain and snow took its place. The mountain passes were a hard-to-drive in the dark tunnel of slop, ice, grit, and some great music. The bus is now so filthy I get dirty just by touching the door handles.
Kind of makes me feel ashamed.
In the summer it is always clean and presentable. People come up and ask if they can see inside, or have me take a picture of them next to it. But if they only knew how much mud mask it wears in the winter, they would see the source of its true beauty. In mid-April it will get washed. Until then, it will pull the trailer, haul the plants to be planted, and take me mountain biking where people don’t go because it is raining. Added benefit? Select ANY campsite!
It sits outside and knows…FAVORITE!!
I like what Jeffrey Lee wrote;
"Nah, she's less a show pony and more of a workhorse.”

Jeffery : )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe wrote:
campism wrote:

Love the fenders!

They can be yours. Interested folks on a bike forum took most of the bones but did not want the bars or fenders so I still have them.
KBake
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2023 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Canoe and van goes together like beer and pizza.

Colorado Bend sp TX.
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Trip to eastern WA for the Othello Crane Festival, migrating sandhill cranes. Thousands of them.

jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

plummerdesign wrote:
The bus in my life. It hauls a trailer when I need doors, furniture, supplies, rocks, or to take tree chunks to the recycling yard. It takes people and their copious amounts of luggage to the airport. It takes me to instantaneous photo shoots in the mountains, picks up PCT hikers and all their gear, plus it offers a great place to stay cozy while stargazing thanks to the propex heater. Oh, and it is a fine burro. I fill it with my gear, kayaks on the roof, bikes on the back, and a generous allotment of food for my UN-planned ventures. A burro that is more akin to a mountain goat. I force it along railroad tracks, over questionable bridges, through murky ponds that might have once been a sort of roadbed, and I wonder why the kitchen lid rattles? Simmer down!
This week I looked at it, all dirty from being outside and thought about WASHING it. The bus knows it stays outside. It is not like the electric cars that get to stay in the garage. But it does not care.
The bus, my camper…is my FAVORITE.

So, Saturday there was a choice. Do yardwork to clean up the damage of winter, OR throw the bike, kayak, and gear into the dirty bus and go play. I’m weak. It was so good to get out and away, to ride under a sunny sky and hike until my feet said “mkay we dun”. Of course the sun left and rain and snow took its place. The mountain passes were a hard-to-drive in the dark tunnel of slop, ice, grit, and some great music. The bus is now so filthy I get dirty just by touching the door handles.
Kind of makes me feel ashamed.
In the summer it is always clean and presentable. People come up and ask if they can see inside, or have me take a picture of them next to it. But if they only knew how much mud mask it wears in the winter, they would see the source of its true beauty. In mid-April it will get washed. Until then, it will pull the trailer, haul the plants to be planted, and take me mountain biking where people don’t go because it is raining. Added benefit? Select ANY campsite!
It sits outside and knows…FAVORITE!!
I like what Jeffrey Lee wrote;
"Nah, she's less a show pony and more of a workhorse.”

Jeffery : )

So true, I feel exactly this way about our Vanagon.

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2023 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I love seeing the crane migration but missed it this year. Here's a shot camping near the Columbia National Wildlife Refuge from a few years ago:

Klister wrote:
Trip to eastern WA for the Othello Crane Festival, migrating sandhill cranes. Thousands of them.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Multivanagon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

After a 5-month rest in winter storage, the 90 Multivan started right up and drove 120 miles home after reconnecting the battery, checking fluids, and airing up the tires.

When filling up with gas, a guy from Germany came over and was very happy to see a Vanagon in SW Minnesota. He said he had owned two of them and recognized the sound before he saw it.

Thank you random German person in rural MN for calling my van awesome!
1971 Super Beetle project
1996 Special Edition Trek Jetta mountain bike

Past VWs:
2008 Passat Wagon
1999.5 Golf
1991 Golf
do.dah
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Multivanagon wrote:
After a 5-month rest in winter storage, the 90 Multivan started right up and drove 120 miles home after reconnecting the battery, checking fluids, and airing up the tires.

When filling up with gas, a guy from Germany came over and was very happy to see a Vanagon in SW Minnesota. He said he had owned two of them and recognized the sound before he saw it.

Thank you random German person in rural MN for calling my van awesome!

Sooo,, cuz I got skooled recently,,, apparently,,, just for FYI,, the proper term to use, is, "Speaking". As in; German speaking/Russian speaking/Eithiopian speaking et. al. person complimented my van.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Another moving day load of furniture for a Relative, who needs to be out of their present location by the end of May. Not a heavy load, but stuff packed all the way back into the rear of the vehicle, even if you can't see it in the picture... Razz Razz

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2023 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hauled this recliner to a friend's house for their shoulder surgery recovery. We had two pickup trucks to choose from but the van was by far the easiest option.

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85 ... 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 84 of 89

Jump to: