Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Things your van did recently
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Something of a milestone.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

I knew it was coming up and planned to get a pic of the rollover but it occurred during a HoDepot run for drywall and lumber and hardware, so there was some distraction. Besides, the odometer was broken when we bought the van in '06 (the week that Pluto was demoted) so it would not have been accurate anyway. However, the PO was scrupulous about recording her gas fillups and I spitballed the mileage calculations from her records over the years and when I finally got the odo fixed I set it at my calculated number. I made a fair estimate at about 17.25 MPG average for each of those fillups.
Royb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2023 10:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

My van developed two new quirks- the vent fan went from strange sound to stopped entirely. And my sliding door stopped latching. Both dumb mechanical things I don’t want to deal with, like the fridge, that limit usability. Ugh. I’m still driving it weekly, locally, but tired of new issues.
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2023 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Another weekend of moving a Relative out of her Apartment, over to one of her kid's place. Basically, downsizing. Two trips on Saturday, Furniture moved, then another load of Furniture plus Box Spring and Matteress on the Thule Bars/Roof.
One funny spot in the late afternoon. My wife wanted a Coffee, so we rolled into a Starbucks drive-through. The guy at the window exclaimed," Sick Van Man". Then paused, "Is that a Mattress and Box Spring on the Roof"?.
Yes, we said, yes it is.... Laughing Laughing
Much less to move next weekend, thank God.... Applause Applause
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
Kdj
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2023 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Found someone with the same addiction at Stoneycreek kayak fest! Razz
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2023 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Three distinct camping opportunities, all public, all free, all on the water . . . two Wyoming, one South Dakota.

Guess which? Very Happy Cool Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Wink

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
jlrftype7
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2023 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
Three distinct camping opportunities, all public, all free, all on the water . . . two Wyoming, one South Dakota.

Guess which? Very Happy Cool Rolling Eyes Embarassed

Wink

- Dave
I'm taking a wild a## guess that the 'flatter' terrain picture is South Dakota.... Razz
2017 MINI Coopers, our current DDs
‘84 Tin Top - Hilga....Auto
WillRB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2023 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took me out to the southwest. OH - Albuquerque - Sedona - Grand Canyon - Lake Powell - Zion - Mesa Verde - Albuquerque - OH. All with out any “major” issues. About 4400 miles

jimf909 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2023 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Hauled 40" x 80" solar panels (405 watts, not for the van Wink )10' Unistrut pieces. I had two pickups and the Vanagon available for this chore and the Vanagon was the easy choice for comfort and ease of hauling. The solar panel guys said this was the most luxurious ride for solar panels they've seen. And then the van moved the ladder. Laughing

Abscate wrote:
Do not get killed, do not kill others.

Current: 1990 Westy Camper - Bostig RG4, 2wd, manual trans w/Peloquin, NAHT high-top, 280 ah LFP battery, 160 watts solar, Flash Silver, seam rust, bondo, etc., etc.

Past: 1985 Westy Camper - 1.9 wbx, 2wd, manual trans, Merian Brown, (sold after 17 years to Northwesty who converted it to a Syncro).
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2023 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

We went for a ride to go ride.

-Joe
Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Wow - what tires are you running there? Those are huge. I guess that helps with no shocks.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

They installed speed humps on a neighborhood street and the Westy proved it can glide over these as if it were a limo. The one on my side (southbound) is actually taller than the other one, meant to slow this lane more than the northbound side. What you do is plant the left wheels in the center of the road and let the right wheels take the bump. When the bride is along I let the left wheels have the bump. Smoooooth compared to our other vehicles.

indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2023 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Klister wrote:
Wow - what tires are you running there? Those are huge. I guess that helps with no shocks.

They are 26x4.8” tires, I run them at 4 PSI. They make the old mining roads way more fun. Floating on the sand vs slogging.

It’s also great for bike packing

Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

indianpeaksjoe wrote:
Klister wrote:

They are 26x4.8” tires, I run them at 4 PSI. They make the old mining roads way more fun. Floating on the sand vs slogging.

It’s also great for bike packing

Very cool! Thanks
16CVs Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

T

urned 446000 thousand miles. I just keep rolling them off.

Stacy
Samba member # 14980
Call anytime number 650 722 4914 .
Keep Your van running and upkept tastefully for the love of the hobby.
Don't let your van end up in an "abortions" thread.

Last edited by 16CVs on Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Robsmaze
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2023 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

She got a ride home tonight! Luckily only 20 miles from home.
Starter would not spin and was toasty warm, no problems with neutral switch or ignition. Bummer. Kids and I played Simon says for 45 minutes till the tow got there!

When I got home, the cool summer breeze had cooled things off enough that she started right up, but I’m pretty certain a new starter is in the cards for this weekend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
indianpeaksjoe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2023 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Took one of my pups down to the lake for a dip.

bobbyblack Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2023 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Multiple reasons we needed to be in the Metro area today. Left at 2AM to be able to go slow, and sleep some before a Dr visit in the late AM, then a couple other stops, one being at the clay place my dad got his mix done for the last 2 decades. It was interesting seeing how the '87 handled an extra half ton. I was a bit apprehensive on the rough road (many construction projects, and potholes needing repaired still). The whole rig did just swell, even with the AC on most of the time. I'll get a gallons use difference for trip slow on the way up, vs keeping up with anxious Friday night traffic on the way home, plus an extra half ton load tomorrow when I fill the tank. ODO turned 343K mi on the trip.

I should have found a scale to get my weight, oh well. Something like 5800 lbs

Klister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Quick hike in the Cascades near Seattle- had afternoon chores

fxr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2023 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

Set off yesterday for a quick visit to the in-laws. 100 yards down the road smoke started pouring from the dash - up around the cluster, out by the ashtray and everywhere. Quickly pulled over, Mrs fxr grabbed the fire extiguisher, but I'd switched off the battery by then - the big switch is just by the passenger seat-belt clip-thingy. Warning triangle deployed, and started investigating. I didn't have any tools in the van, but I did have my trusty Swiss army knife, so removing the instrument cluster was easy. The culprit was readily apparent - the bulb-holder for the rear fan switch panel had come adrift, and the positive grey/blue wire had shorted to chassis. It had melted all the way back to the dimmer switch. Cut it all out, and carried on to the in-laws without further incident.

Now I've just got to re-wire enough to get the dash lights working again, and we're golden. Smile

It was still a "shit, shit, shit" moment to start with though!
deaddrift
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2023 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Things your van did recently Reply with quote

I drove across Oregon, pulling a raft trailer for a float on the Grande Ronde, a couple weeks ago.

A roadside scale put the vehicle weight at 5950 lbs, including the trailer tongue weight and three people plus their personal gear; the same scale put the trailer axle at 1500 pounds.

So ~ 7500 lbs total... that's heavy. However, Stan the Van pulled up the Blue Mountains grade east of Pendleton on I-84 like a champ. I was able to keep it at ~50 mph in third gear thanks to the EJ25.

Here is Stanley in camp:

Here's a partial pic with the trailer at the take out:

'91 syncro Westfalia, 2nd and 4th owner

Ò,ó
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89  Next
Jump to:
Page 85 of 89

Jump to: