Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Radio Bus
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cars20thcentury
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy, Needs Naughty Nurseys with Neon....
arthurnugen
Samba Member

Location: The PNW, where "going green" means rolling with moss.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, any updates? Smile I saw the bus and the cool article on Randy in Volksworld and it reminded me of this thread.

zozo wrote:
Don't worry too much. You can always trust a lawyer.

ALWAYS WEAR STEEL-TOE BOOTS IN THE GARAGE!
1965 Bus (Riviera camper)
1972 Bug 'vert
1967 Bug sunroof
1961 Ghia 'vert
1957 DKW 3=6: 3 cylinder 2 stroke!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Just trying to get it prepped for OCTO.

Anyone local have a small generator I can borrow for the show so I can run the turntables?
951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was cleaning my office up last weekend and found a NEATO news letter from 1998 or 99 with the radio bus on the cover and I guess a story inside.
I didn't look inside. I've thrown away all my NEATO newsletters after I look through them and was shocked that the only one I still had was with this bus!

I quess I'll see it at OCTO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 11:49 pm    Post subject: Neato Reply with quote

Hey...bring that newsletter with you please...I would love to see it (or better yet have a copy). Very Happy
951-795-1175
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Update Reply with quote

Oldbug.com wrote:
Just trying to get it prepped for OCTO.

Anyone local have a small generator I can borrow for the show so I can run the turntables?

Living in the boonies I can't believe you don't have one! Shocked

I do have one though not that small. If you haven't got one closer to the OCTO show, give me a holler and I'll bring mine. Cool
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oldbug.com
Quote:

You are welcome to borrow the one I have. Problem is someone'd have to come get it and dial it in. It probably needs the carb cleaned. I haven't run it in ages but it might just fire up. It's a 2-stroke so the gas is all gooey-a-fied.
66uno
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: radio bus Reply with quote

No, no. Don't use vinyl!!! Hell, I love the stuff. . . it has it's place. It even wears better in the long run. But, it's not the right look. And, it wont patina over time like hand lettered will. Of course, finding an old-timer that can still hand letter will be a chore. There are still a few around. Soon, you likely wont even be able to get the paint - one shot enamels. But, it will look a whole lot better done right. Just my opinion.
UZI
Platinum FUBU

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vinyl does patina actually, only it patinas differently from paint. it peels, shrinks, cracks, then fades. patina'd vinyl. it's the new patina!

Quote:
mannys66: South Philly Van Club, only the most influential and freshest van club in the vw scene
Quote:
Cuņado: Chrome will get you home!!!!!!!!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject: Generators...etc Reply with quote

I should probably buy one but Im such a cheapo when it comes to tools. When the power goes out I just sit in the dark all pissed off until the lights come back on:x

Someone please bring one to the show and come find me...preferably one that runs.

In the event that I re-do the graphics my preference will definitely be to paint them on. Ive dont a lot of vinyl over the years and while it is cool, if it sits in the hot sun it does bake and shrink in just a few years.
951-795-1175
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll bet we could rob some 120 AC from a light pole or the game field if we had a long cord.
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Long cord Reply with quote

Ive got a pretty long cord but I dont know if there any outlets in that parking lot or not.

Anyone in that area know if there is power?

That would be sweet...wouldnt want the generator to make more noise than the radio bus...that would kinda ruin the effect.

I need some record albums too...the only one I have is "Bug-In" which might be interesting but not very musical.
951-795-1175
pyrOman
Fire Master

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Generators...etc Reply with quote

Oldbug.com wrote:
Someone please bring one to the show and come find me...preferably one that runs.

Ive got a pretty long cord but I dont know if there any outlets in that parking lot or not.

That would be sweet...wouldnt want the generator to make more noise than the radio bus...that would kinda ruin the effect.

Already told you I have one! However, check with Eric (OCTOman). I'm sure he'd know if there's power available. Cool
splitpile
Samba's Worst Speller

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Long cord Reply with quote

Oldbug.com wrote:

I need some record albums too...the only one I have is "Bug-In" which might be interesting but not very musical.

Doesn't the Donut truck always bring a generator to to keep the coffee warm and run the P A.? I'm sure the Radio Bus would get front row parking and may could rob some power. If not, somebody bring Randy a little honda. Mines to big and load to have at a show
npbusguy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Dont forget this book when you display the bus...

See page 92 of Dave Eccles Book.

The bus was also featured in the NEATO/SCVW/Bulli Kartei calendar in 1990. I think I was cleaning some stuff out a few months back and threw it away. Whoops!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:25 pm    Post subject: wow Reply with quote

Shocked Well son-a-ma-gun...I didnt know it was in Eccles book...heck I just went out in the shop and my copy was sitting right on top of my file cabinet less than 10 feet away from the darn Bus!!

Thanks for the scan of the Neato newsletter by the way.
951-795-1175
stephenmullens Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BAM! Value increase.
Bloog
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: More vintage pix Reply with quote

Bloog wrote:
60freak wrote:
thom wrote:
Bloog wrote:
How rare are those super long whip antennae? Anybody have one?

I bought one like that at a swap some time ago - I thought about putting it on my ambulance.

it's looks like a 108" stainless steel whip. pretty common for ham radio guys to have one on their vehicle (I run one on my bus too, but in a different location). you can find them at aesham.com or ham radio outlet.

Thanks for posting the pictures of the radio install, way too cool. This is by far my favorite bus I have ever seen yet.

I was curious because I bought a 1960 panel bus and it has one on it. It lookes to be as old as the bus and in excellent condition, but the bus still had the original radio block-off plate installed...

The antenna I have is telescopic, not spring mounted.

chabanais wrote:
Ah... you buy from Sum Ting Wong Distribution Company.
Oldbug.com
Pheasant Plucker

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Updated phot Reply with quote

Pic of the Radio Bus up on it's new Firestone tires and open wide in the garage.
951-795-1175
burbankian bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

would you be bringing this beauty to this coming Octo to let us drool over it Razz
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 9, 10, 11  Next
Jump to:
Page 10 of 11

Jump to: