Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Cool vintage photos...
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 691, 692, 693  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
VOODOOKING
Samba Salami Slapper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael schramm wrote:
cool video corey,
I would have never guessed that the body was painted basically assembled.

When I install glass Im alittle more carefull then the guy in the video..... Laughing I guess when you do it everyday, all day, you kinda know the limitations...but he looks like he is beating the crap out of that glass with the rubber mallet. Shocked

yeah I was thinkin' that too,dont think I'd have the balls to start banging on my windows even if it is a rubber mallet,but then again after installing the windows in my car alone,might have helped me out some Laughing
johnshenry Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VOODOOKING wrote:
michael schramm wrote:
cool video corey,

When I install glass Im alittle more carefull then the guy in the video..... Laughing I guess when you do it everyday, all day, you kinda know the limitations...but he looks like he is beating the crap out of that glass with the rubber mallet. Shocked

yeah I was thinkin' that too,dont think I'd have the balls to start banging on my windows even if it is a rubber mallet,but then again after installing the windows in my car alone,might have helped me out some Laughing

I might whack on mine with a mallet if I had a stack of new NOS ones 5 feet high right next to me...... Wink

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scott H
Samba Luddite

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
VOODOOKING wrote:
michael schramm wrote:
cool video corey,

I might whack on mine with a mallet if I had a stack of new NOS ones 5 feet high right next to me...... Wink

As opposed to old NOS ones? Wink
splitmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those new new ones are better.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VOODOOKING
Samba Salami Slapper

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michael schramm wrote:
those new new ones are better.

the best
bastardbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:

Wouldn't those windows have been just NS at that time... Wink
Samba Member #95
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

johnshenry wrote:
VOODOOKING wrote:
michael schramm wrote:
cool video corey,

can you even break tempered glass with a rubber mallet at all? try sometime on superbeetle or something.
VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bastardbus wrote:
johnshenry wrote:

Wouldn't those windows have been just NS at that time... Wink

Uh yeah. Good call!!!

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

79SuperVert wrote:
Yes, indeed. Very nice. Sadly they do not shed light on the apparent verts in this photo:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

So currently the opinion seems to be that VW wouldn't waste time and money assembling a sedan body shell just to have it hacked by Karmann. Instead, that VW created partial vert shells minus roofs, cowls, windshields and various other components, but with fenders attached, to be shipped to Karmann for completion. Still doesn't sound completely right.

Although I also don't want to hijack this thread. Keep those cool vintage photos coming!!!

Why would those splits be sent to karmann with sedan decklids installed
also seems unlikely they had a dedicated line just for kabrios to be sent to Karmann to be converted to convertible.....two lines for sedans and one line for convertibles ........So I guess for every two sedans made one convertible was made ........So split verts aren;t rare no more Confused
Splitdog
Samba Split Personality

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubinit wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:
Yes, indeed. Very nice. Sadly they do not shed light on the apparent verts in this photo:

So currently the opinion seems to be that VW wouldn't waste time and money assembling a sedan body shell just to have it hacked by Karmann. Instead, that VW created partial vert shells minus roofs, cowls, windshields and various other components, but with fenders attached, to be shipped to Karmann for completion. Still doesn't sound completely right.

Although I also don't want to hijack this thread. Keep those cool vintage photos coming!!!

also seems unlikely they had a dedicated line just for kabrios to be sent to Karmann to be converted to convertible.....two lines for sedans and one line for convertibles ........So I guess for every two sedans made one convertible was made ........So split verts aren;t rare no more Confused

Maybe it was cheaper/easier than boxing or stacking them for shipping.

Quite an assumption from one photo taken one day.

Z = z² + C

Der Blitzkrieg Kafers

#notacallooker
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Splitdog wrote:
vdubinit wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

That is true, maybe once a week/month they ran the convertible line through the factory? Question
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubinit wrote:

It is possible that Karmann took a standard sedan lid and punched the slots in it.
vdubinit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
vdubinit wrote:

It is possible that Karmann took a standard sedan lid and punched the slots in it.

maybe

I wish there were more vintage pics Twisted Evil
coad Premium Member
Samba Scapegoat

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about the theory that those are CKD (Kit) cars?
53 0val
Samba Professor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vdubinit wrote:
Splitdog wrote:
vdubinit wrote:
79SuperVert wrote:

That is true, maybe once a week/month they ran the convertible line through the factory? Question

More likely that they hadn't welded the roof section on yet...... Wink
peter schepens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:05 am    Post subject: convertible .... Reply with quote

I also think that the line with half bodied beetles are made to send to Karmann, Hebmuller, Papler.austro daimler to be converted in a Kabriolett..

Why whould they put a roof( that cost time and money to construct and to be welded) on a car that whould be shortly afterwards to be cut of and trown away... One the roof is chopped it is no longer useble as a spare part as it is cut.
Hebmuller got a contract to build 750 2 seaters. how many 4 seaters type 18 is not known by me but at least a few more than 100.
Karmann got the same contract to start..
So I estimate that at least 1500 bodys were made...without the roof.

To solve the flexing problem they could have worked for sure with a frame to transport the bodys. They only had to use a short number of frames .

Remember that the next to the Hebmuller factory there was a railroad.
To put the bodys in a train directly from the factory assambly line you do not need much handling... Remember the Deutsche Grundlichheit.
I am sure they have figuered out a way to transport them without bending some sills..

Just my thoughts.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
vdubinit wrote:

You have to look at it logically. Why would Karman spend the time and money to make a duplicate die and dedicate a press to stamp their own decklids when the only difference between a sedan and vert lid were the punched in louvers and the rain gutters? Of course they would not. They would only develop the tooling to punch the louvers and to make the rain gutters.

You know, a lot of these scratches will buff right out... Jerry Seinfeld
splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coad wrote:

53 0val wrote:

You are overlooking the fact that those shells are missing their quarter windows. The quarter panel is a one piece stamping. There is also an inner stamping but the outer part is one piece.

Also I would assume that the CKD bodies would be just the same as any other body. It would just have the primer coat and no paint. There would be no need for some roofless, quarter windless shells for the CDK kits.

splitjunkie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: convertible .... Reply with quote

peter schepens wrote:
I

To solve the flexing problem they could have worked for sure with a frame to transport the bodys. They only had to use a short number of frames .

Remember that the next to the Hebmuller factory there was a railroad.
To put the bodys in a train directly from the factory assambly line you do not need much handling... Remember the Deutsche Grundlichheit.
I am sure they have figuered out a way to transport them without bending some sills..

Just my thoughts.

That is my thinking as well. If you look at the closest "vert" shell you can see what looks like a frame coming out of the bottom.

Last edited by splitjunkie on Sat Nov 10, 2007 6:04 am; edited 1 time in total
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

splitjunkie wrote:
coad wrote:

53 0val wrote:

You are overlooking the fact that those shells are missing their quarter windows. The quarter panel is a one piece stamping. There is also an inner stamping but the outer part is one piece.

Chris, please don't feed the troll. Laughing

'57 Deluxe
'56 Single Cab
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 691, 692, 693  Next
Jump to:
Page 6 of 693

Jump to: