Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Jims 1952
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 5:55 pm    Post subject: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Hello.

My name is Jim. I recently inherited a 1952 VW, and some extra parts. I plan on getting the car running again.

I ran into thesamba while researching and decided to start a thread.

I dont have any idea what im doing, but im excited to start this project!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
56TIMOTEO
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Wow, you inherited a 3 fold sunroof zwitter! Very nice car to invest time and money into Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Lucky!

I will be following along! Have fun!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
ZENVWDRIVER
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 7:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

We are in Oklahoma - not many splits in these parts - When we had our 11-4-52 Zwitter - mosta' the time, we had the only split at the local shows - an 11G is a nice car to have - do you need an owner's manual? - we have an extra...

Looked in your gallery and from your chassis number, looks like your car is an 11 of '52 - nice - look forward to your restoration - have fun - z
11/4/52, black Zwitter - SOLD to my little bro.
1954 Porsche, pre A, with VW 36 horse- SOLD
1/54, black 11C Beetle - TRADED
2/55 Iceland green Beetle, on a 1965 pan
3/55 113 Beetle, stratos silver
1955 Messerschmitt KR175 - SOLD, sadly
1960 single cab
1962 SO33, with SO 42 interior
9/63 Pacific blue, Ghia
'87 Toyota MR2
'02 WestFORDia E-150, GAVE TO OUR SON

All super-heroes, wear a MASK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Start reading a long time knowledgeable member by John Henry
Thebugshop.org its his restoration of a 57 oval...on how to's
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

bloody hell! where's the jealous emoji...!

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Please post lots of pictures, we on TS. Like pics Laughing
Thomas

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
finster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2021 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

yes, and the history/backstory too

nothing lasts, nothing is finished, and nothing is perfect...
D. Haviland
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

sweet
overrestored
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Congrats! Before you do ANYTHING… get to know the details of early split and oval vw’ s. Zwitter’’s are a rare 1 year only car… with a LOT of very specific details. They are part oval… and part split. It’s really easy to screw up and get the wrong parts. Find a local mentor. Someone who knows early cars. Learn all you can before buying anything as there are tons of things that will work but that are wrong for a zwitter. Enjoy the process… Don’t focus on “getting it done”. Make a list of what you think you need and post it here so others can help guide you to the correct part. Show photos of what you have… so others can help you understand what is correct or not. TheSamba users’ collective knowledge set is a great resource. Be very careful to save all the original nuts and bolts. Save everything!
One cool crazy cat
a yard full of fruit trees
26 chairs for some reason
a crapload of old shoes
a lot of books on history of the Mexican Ranchos
200+ kamax bolts... stacked in rows
aa390392
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ALL EXCELLANT ADVISES^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

55 ragtop
56 delux sedan
56 Kabriolet
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Thank you all for your interest! Its cool to see people being excited about my dads car!

Here is some of what i know about this car at this time:

I have a ny state registration from 1956. A notarized bill of sale (typed on a 3x5) from Wyoming in 1975. My father titled the car in Wyoming in 1985. Our family lived in laramie till 1988 when we moved to kansas city. The car has been garaged in roughly its current condition since that time.

My dad, Steve, was pretty involved in VWs as well as cars in general. In Wyoming he worked for a guy called bug doctor don. In KC he became involved in the Vintage Volkswagen Club of America. I think he was the editor of the newsletter. Dad taught auto tech at the community college.

Dad passed away earlier this year.

There is an attic of parts. Some for this car. Some for others. Im currently sorting through stuff. I found windows and rubbers. Semaphores and heart lights. A labeled wiring harness. New rag top. Og bambas tray.

Im mostly spending my energy organizing and cleaning at the moment. After i have my head wrapped around whats here i will start to formulate a plan of action.
VW_Jimbo Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Are you the kid standing under the decklid? Makes me think of my upbringing! Good stuff!

There is never enough time to do it right the first time, but all the time necessary the second time!

TDCTDI wrote:
Basically, a whole bunch of fuckery to achieve a look.

67rustavenger wrote:
GFY's Xevin and VW_Jimbo! Smile
c-rad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2021 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Holy. Shit. That attic full of parts!
Where's that convertible that's buried in the snow?
You've come to the right place, tons of experts on here, as mentioned earlier you have a one year only car. Sorry to hear about your father =( Post up more pics of the car, you have a very special split!
Eric&Barb
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 12, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Cool that you are taking up the beetle from your dad! Seen way too many VWs inherited and soon sold out of the family. Not dissing anyone that goes that way, to each their own. We have a MAR52 sunroof that will require lots of work to get it back on the road. Looking forward to seeing how your journey with your 52 goes!
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

hello again!

i am the kid in the picture! i think that was taken in 1988. turns out the split in the snow picture isnt this car. i found some more pictures of it and the vert.

i have the car out of the mess and have been finding pieces. it looks to be in pretty good shape. looks like the pan was redone and the body was simply placed on the chassis. its not bolted together. looks like the car may have been involved in a front end wreck? idk. my paperwork says it was garaged from '56-'75 and that could be the cause.

i found a 25 hp case (early 1953). those are spider webs. turns out my pops was storing his classic car collection in Shelob's lair.

A friends of my fathers (and me) gave me a wiring diagram and some shop drawings. now i am starting to make an inventory of the parts. Mike is going to be super helpful. he know more about vw's than i know about anything.

i discovered that the workbench was 3/4 of a 54 single cab truck. most of the cab is missing. it has the vin and i found the case and some parts for that too. super rotten. dad always told me it was scrap and im pretty sure the only reason he didnt scrap it was because he couldnt get to it. ill probably start another thread about that vehicle at some later date.

geneL3c Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

I've seen miracles performed with a lot worse to start with, actually, it looks pretty good !! Once you have an inventory of what you've got, you can make a plan and start looking for what you need, but seems like you've got what we all lust for, a parts department ! Good luck and enjoy the build. An 11G is the holy grail of Splits ! I'm sure your Dad would be proud you're picking up the torch.
50Splitman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

Something that caught my eye...

Heater channel outlets and A pillars - they look like oval vs. zwitter. I've owned zwitters and the front heater channel holes were round like earlier splits, and the A pillar interior light switches were also rectangle with screws like earlier splits. Spare tire well there is a mounting area for the brake fluid, but that coudl easily have been a front grafted on.
Jimone
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

thats pretty interesting about the heater channels. if you notice more things like that i am all ears. if you need or want pictures of anything let me know. im here to learn.

its possible this car is an art project or something. i can identify some of the front bits as being from an oval. the ashtray is wrong. the dash behind the ashtray has been modified. the front clip number doesnt patch the chassis. (i havent checked the axels yet) the rear clip was modified from 1 exhaust cut to 2 and then back to 0 cut outs. it had 16 inch tires on it.

i found something else interesting. the spare tire is on a 4jx15 rim that has an april 52 date stamp. my (admittedly shallow) research tells me they didnt start using that size till october 52. seems odd to be producing spare tire rims 6 months ahead of schedule. does anybody know if that is normal?

sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2021 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Jims 1952 Reply with quote

hi Jim check your p/m .got a question for ya.
my 1946 lived in Laramie Wyoming in the 70's .
your dads name wasn't larry by chance?

Steve.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: