Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968~79 VW Type 2, seatbelts, head restraints & airbags
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
i_am_cool_fred
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think according to Nigel the dog would be better off in the trunk of a car than in the back seat so it doesn't become a missile when you have a wreck.

Brian Denning, as seen on Gearz TV
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mightyart
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things don't always work in practice as they may seem in theory.
If you're worried about safety don't drive a baywindow, take the big SUV and don't worry about anybody elses safety.

If you want to have some fun take the bay, and the dog.
Oh and roll down the window so the dog can have some fun too.
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i_am_cool_fred wrote:

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

cool dog. looks like your pooch could be related to mine Very Happy

manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... has anyone managed to construct or otherwise retrofit head restraints to their folding rear seat, such that they are safe, secure when in place, but removable from the seat allowing it to still fold down? It'll only be a year or two before my wee lad's head is taller than the seat back...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My rear seat has the holes for the factory head rests. Is that what you mean?
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big problem with the rear seat is that it can unfold.

I don't remember who sells it but someone over here sells the first approved folding hinges. Took them a lot of time and $ to develop and get certified and is unfortunately reflected in the price. I think it was something like $880 for the hinges. Technically it's the only way for a camper to seat people legally in the rear here. I doubt many people actually own these hinges though.

I think the best option would be to use a bench seat from something and build the seat around it. A bench seat with removable headrests that is.

There are doggie seat belt harnesses too sold here. I guess the best form of safety would be to have a non- walkthrough and reinforced mesh barrier so in an accident what's left of you will be hit with more manageable bite sized chunks of dog.
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Hey chabanais - Is your rear seat one that folds into a bed? I've got a Riviera folding seat/bed - crafted diligently without any sort of head support for folks 5' and up...

Quote:
Technically it's the only way for a camper to seat people legally in the rear here.

@RatCamper: Wow - I think that the seat will remain folded up if folks are strapped in (talking peeps not pets!)... you might be right about the struts needing to be more serious tho, but we don't (yet?) have regulations requiring something stridently designed and tested to allow adults in the rear seat. Here in FL we have specific reg's for kids tho. My lad is in the weird range of being too big for a booster in the rear seat, as it leaves him without head support. The 3-point retractable I installed fits just right without the booster, but he won't stay this size for long!
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manikmike wrote:
Quote:

Hey chabanais - Is your rear seat one that folds into a bed? I've got a Riviera folding seat/bed - crafted diligently without any sort of head support for folks 5' and up...

Quote:
Technically it's the only way for a camper to seat people legally in the rear here.

@RatCamper: Wow - I think that the seat will remain folded up if folks are strapped in (talking peeps not pets!)... you might be right about the struts needing to be more serious tho, but we don't (yet?) have regulations requiring something stridently designed and tested to allow adults in the rear seat. Here in FL we have specific reg's for kids tho. My lad is in the weird range of being too big for a booster in the rear seat, as it leaves him without head support. The 3-point retractable I installed fits just right without the booster, but he won't stay this size for long!

I think the problem is in a frontal impact the seat can kind of escape from its upright position and try to fold out / up essentially trying to propel itself through the occupants of said seat.
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the problem is in a frontal impact the seat can kind of escape from its upright position and try to fold out / up essentially trying to propel itself through the occupants of said seat.

Hmm... So, in that case, the hinges would need to lock in the upright - some pins or straps might be helpful there... hell's bells - another project!
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2011 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use a standard rear bench seat and Z Bed hinges but the head rests need to be removed first obviously. There is a company in CA that makes something similar I saw an ad in Hot VWs I'll see if I can find it and post a link. It was like $600 or something though. ($349)

Found it here (yes it works for Bays):

http://www.delmarretro.com/Home_Page.php

RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manikmike wrote:
Quote:

Hmm... So, in that case, the hinges would need to lock in the upright - some pins or straps might be helpful there... hell's bells - another project!

There was a thread a while back ...I think it may have been mnskmobi that did something like that.
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input Gents!
WestyPop
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And then, in spite of well-engineered equipment, some folks just go their own separate way...
http://www.motivateusnot.com/resize.php?name=LzM3O...nsion=.jpg
68 Westy
(+ others)
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone have some pics of what the mounting looks like when looking through the rear seat? I'd like to see what the belts attach to in this area.(not my bus). I need to add a baby seat to the back and need to add a lap belt in the middle or to one side.

SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

even with a Z-bed or delmar retro bed the seat belts still attach here

panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I found it also here. I thought it was more complicated behind there thats all Embarassed

And here....http://paulssplit.blogspot.com/2011/08/fitting-seat-belt-anchor-points.html

NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Rear bench-seat head restraints Reply with quote

I was interested to note a recent topic thread, on the Late Bay forum, which perports to show the campervan furniture & equipment, of what the owner describes, as a 1978 VW Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan. Whether it truly is a Westfalia Continental, is somewhat academic; the main point of interest being, that the rear rock & roll bench seat, is fitted with three head restraints

The Late Bay » Mech, Tech & Products » Camper Interiors & Conversions » Westfalia 1978 Continental

http://thelatebay.com/index.php?topic=350.0

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
kamzcab86
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rear bench-seat head restraints Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
...the main point of interest being, that the rear rock & roll bench seat, is fitted with three head restraints

[pic]

Those headrests look exactly like T3/T25 (Vanagon) headrests:

The van guys retrofit headrests into the rear seat of models that came without 'em: http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=303299 (you guys could probably use the same procedure/parts); so I'd presume that Bus went through a retrofit, or the seat itself is out of a T3.
2016 Golf GTI S
"Real knowledge is to know the extent of one's ignorance." - 孔子
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Rear Seat Belts Reply with quote

Rearmost seat belts, with raised shoulder-strap mountings

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where can i buy some of them? Shocked
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: