Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1968~79 VW Type 2, seatbelts, head restraints & airbags
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisradioman wrote:
Where can i buy some of them? Shocked

The most likely source, would be a car dismantlers in Sweden.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
chrisradioman wrote:

I'll ask at FBI they are always over there, thanks Nigel. Very Happy
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisradioman wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
chrisradioman wrote:

I'll ask at FBI they are always over there, thanks Nigel. Very Happy

Before you guys all go asking the Federal Bureau of Investigation, what Nigel is referring to is FBI VW, in Swansea, Wales: http://www.fbivw.com
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Anyone have some pics of what the mounting looks like when looking through the rear seat? I'd like to see what the belts attach to in this area.(not my bus). I need to add a baby seat to the back and need to add a lap belt in the middle or to one side.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Be sure to secure that spare tire, too! That'd be a nasty missile.
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1976 T2 deluxe microbus body, rear seat belt fixing anchor points. On this deluxe frame microbus, I have VW of Australia extension brackets for the near and off side rear seat belts, which were fitted as standard with VW/Audi marked Repa belts to meet what is known as the requirements of the ADR (Australian Drving Regulations).

Here is the VW of Australia rear belt extension ADR compliant bracket removed, there is one bracket each side of the rear bench seat, plus a standard lap belt in the middle of the rear bench seat:

On the deluxe body, these 10mm thread fixing holes (17mm spanner) are an integral part of the vehicle body, integrated into the frame during manufacturing. Absolutely solid fixings:

1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:
1976 T2 deluxe microbus body, rear seat belt fixing anchor points. On this deluxe frame microbus, I have VW of Australia extension brackets for the near and off side rear seat belts, which were fitted as standard with VW/Audi marked Repa belts to meet what is known as the requirements of the ADR (Australian Drving Regulations).

Here is the VW of Australia rear belt extension ADR compliant bracket removed, there is one bracket each side of the rear bench seat, plus a standard lap belt in the middle of the rear bench seat:

On the deluxe body, these 10mm thread fixing holes (17mm spanner) are an integral part of the vehicle body, integrated into the frame during manufacturing. Absolutely solid fixings:

Are these brackets readily available in Australia. Very Happy
Hoody
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No they are not readily available. I have only ever seen one set for sale. And that was about a month ago.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:20 am    Post subject: Rear seat belts Reply with quote

The factory-fitted, rearmost passenger, seat belts, with the raised shoulder-strap mountings, were most commonly found, on Swedish-specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s, where rear seat belt fitment, was probably obligatory, from quite early on.

Hence, the best source is likely to be, through a network of vehicle dismantlers in Sweden.

However, it's debatable, whether these seatbelts would be suitable in unmodified form, owing to the position of the inertia reel and the presence of the Westfalia campervan's rearmost bed-cushion, above the engine deck.

One of my local acquaintances (lives less than 10 minutes walk from my home), owns a second-hand, Swedish Army specification, 1975 VW "1800" Type 2 Kombi, which was also equipped with this type of rear seat belt.

In the near future, when he has completed the present round of vehicle restoration work, I shall be making some sketches, plus taking some detailed measurements and photographs, of "interesting features". This will include the rear seatbelt's raised shoulder-strap mounting, the design of which I hope to adapt, for use in my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan.

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Rear seat belts Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
The factory-fitted, rearmost passenger, seat belts, with the raised shoulder-strap mountings, were most commonly found, on Swedish-specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s, where rear seat belt fitment, was probably obligatory, from quite early on.

Hence, the best source is likely to be, through a network of vehicle dismantlers in Sweden.

However, it's debatable, whether these seatbelts would be suitable in unmodified form, owing to the position of the inertia reel and the presence of the Westfalia campervan's rearmost bed-cushion, above the engine deck.

One of my local acquaintances (lives less than 10 minutes walk from my home), owns a second-hand, Swedish Army specification, 1975 VW "1800" Type 2 Kombi, which was also equipped with this type of rear seat belt.

In the near future, when he has completed the present round of vehicle restoration work, I shall be making some sketches, plus taking some detailed measurements and photographs, of "interesting features". This will include the rear seatbelt's raised shoulder-strap mounting, the design of which I hope to adapt, for use in my 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan.

Nigel I'd be very interested in pics & drawings, I could then get replicas made of them. Very Happy
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisradioman wrote:
Are these brackets readily available in Australia. Very Happy

All I can say is check out the Kombi Club Forums, under buy and sell:

http://forums.kombiclub.com/index.php

You will also see them fitted pretty much as standard to the microbus models in the galleries on there.

Also http://www.ebay.com.au but remember to search for "VW Kombi" rather than "VW bus" or "VW Camper".

Here is an Australian ADR compliance label, these are non-inertia belts, I wonder whether they are longer than standard German belts.

Chris / Nigel, I have a load of pictures with measurements of these things, did them for another member last year. But I think trying to fabricate them would be a lot harder than just keeping an eye on the Australian ads.

Nigel, I like these, are these the Swedish army inertia reel belts you mention?:

NASkeet wrote:

1972 T2 Camper (Devon), 1988 Golf, 1972 Type 1, 1984 Polo, 1972 T2 Camper (Danbury)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nigel I'd be very interested in pics & drawings, I could then get replicas made of them.

Ditto across the pond, please - tho my usual offer of beer traded for favors might be a bit more difficult than usual...!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:35 am    Post subject: Rear seat belts Reply with quote

chimneyfish wrote:

Nigel, I like these, are these the Swedish army inertia reel belts you mention?:

They are not specific to the Swedish army. I have also seen them on other Swedish specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2, passenger-carrying vehicles.

Nigel A. Skeet

CessnaJon
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There has to be a Sambanite that will make us a rear 3 point kit for our Bays.I would buy 2, for sure. I worry about my boogers in the back with no shoulder strap.
2015 Sportwagon TDI 6sp
LR-JET, Gulfstream 159
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tkgeorge_99
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would definately be in for a pair also if there is a fabricator out there that wants to make a few.
davidoft
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im in the process of having some fabricated from originals, my swedish bus came with them in.
RatCamper
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bus is kind of shelved for now as a potential driver. I'm having a lot of trouble justifying rear lap belts for the kids.
I'll keep working on it for sure but really I'll have to hold out until things improve a bit and I can buy a shell from a bus with front end accident damage or something to poach its interior metalwork from the C to D pillars so I can actually mount a shoulder point. But then that's only one belt. Sad
chimneyfish
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 11:23 am    Post subject: seat belt bracket used to clear door air duct Reply with quote

I thought I should add to this thread as an ongoing resource for info, as I stumbled upon some repros of the Australian brackets for the front seats.

These brackets were made by VW of Australia for the T2, pictured below is an original bracket on my 1976 Microbus, with original VW Audi inertia reels by the OEM manufacturer Repa, to comply with the ADR (Australian Design Rules) which required inertia reel seat belts in the front for the driver and passenger, and enabled the repositioning of an inertia reel block, pushing it further back and inwards so they do not clash with the door and seat, utilising and retaining the stock seat belt anchor point.

I found online that repros are now available and made in the UK:

http://www.status-vw.co.uk/bay-van-68-79/main-body...-1979.html

http://www.justkampers.com/211-809-257-cab-seat-belt-brackets-vw-t2-bay-1967-1979.html

The original brackets, and the repros, should fit all years of T2 bay windows, although I assume they are probably of not much use to Westfalia owners with the swivel seats and no bulkhead (bay window Westies were not generally available in Australia in any case so I understand).
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 8:30 am    Post subject: Seat Belts & Rearward-Facing Seats Reply with quote

Seat Belts & Rearward-Facing Seats

I was interested to note in the most recent issue of Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine, the following article about the innovative provision of three-point, inertia-reel seat belts, which were retro-fitted to Steve Williams' 13-window, "split-screen", 1963 VW 1200 Type 2 Devon campervan, by Quickfit Safety Belt Services, who also advertise in the magazine, on Page 53.

Steve Williams, "Three-point seat belts - Safe travelling in a split!", Technical, Volkswagen Camper & Commercial, Issue 71, September 2013, Pages 72~73.

Making suitable seat-belt provision for all VW Transporter seats, which are occupied whilst travelling, is one of my major "hobby horses", so I was pleased to see the publication of such an article, in one of the mainstream VW Transporter magazines.

However, I was EXTREMELY CONCERNED that the REARWARD-FACING, two-position bench seat, illustrated on Page 72, appears to have NO provision for HEAD RESTRAINTS, to complement the retro-fitted seat belts. Even if seat belts were not fitted, head restraints should have been incorporated, if these seats were to be used whilst the vehicle is in motion.

If properly designed, REARWARD-FACING seats are inherently safer than forward-facing seats, but ONLY IFF the rearward-facing seats have ULTRA-HIGH BACKS (called "tombstone" seats in the USA) or PROPERLY-ADJUSTED HEAD RESTRAINTS; otherwise, even a moderately serious, low-speed frontal collision, could easily result in DEATH or SERIOUS INJURY (i.e. paraplegia or quadraplegia) from a broken neck.

Hence, I hope to somehow contact the author Steve Williams, or otherwise convey this information to him, so that he may take steps to retro-fit appropriate head restraints to his rearward facing seats and hence avoid placing his family or other passengers in EXTREME danger; young children being especially vulnerable to neck injuries! In the meantime, I shall alert Quickfit Safety Belt Services, in Stanmore, Middlesex, to this oversight!

Nigel A. Skeet

Sjtw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Seat Belts & Rearward-Facing Seats Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Seat Belts & Rearward-Facing Seats

I was interested to note in the most recent issue of Volkswagen Camper & Commercial magazine, the following article about the innovative provision of three-point, inertia-reel seat belts, which were retro-fitted to Steve Williams' 13-window, "split-screen", 1963 VW 1200 Type 2 Devon campervan, by Quickfit Safety Belt Services, who also advertise in the magazine, on Page 53.

Steve Williams, "Three-point seat belts - Safe travelling in a split!", Technical, Volkswagen Camper & Commercial, Issue 71, September 2013, Pages 72~73.

Making suitable seat-belt provision for all VW Transporter seats, which are occupied whilst travelling, is one of my major "hobby horses", so I was pleased to see the publication of such an article, in one of the mainstream VW Transporter magazines.

However, I was EXTREMELY CONCERNED that the REARWARD-FACING, two-position bench seat, illustrated on Page 72, appears to have NO provision for HEAD RESTRAINTS, to complement the retro-fitted seat belts. Even if seat belts were not fitted, head restraints should have been incorporated, if these seats were to be used whilst the vehicle is in motion.

If properly designed, REARWARD-FACING seats are inherently safer than forward-facing seats, but ONLY IFF the rearward-facing seats have ULTRA-HIGH BACKS (called "tombstone" seats in the USA) or PROPERLY-ADJUSTED HEAD RESTRAINTS; otherwise, even a moderately serious, low-speed frontal collision, could easily result in DEATH or SERIOUS INJURY (i.e. paraplegia or quadraplegia) from a broken neck.

Hence, I hope to somehow contact the author Steve Williams, or otherwise convey this information to him, so that he may take steps to retro-fit appropriate head restraints to his rearward facing seats and hence avoid placing his family or other passengers in EXTREME danger; young children being especially vulnerable to neck injuries! In the meantime, I shall alert Quickfit Safety Belt Services, in Stanmore, Middlesex, to this oversight!

Thank you for your concern Nigel. I saw your letter in Camper and Commercial and appreciate you trying to contact me.
I just wanted to reassure you that the rear facing seats aren't used by my children when we travel. Generally they're occupied by a Colman Cooler (secured by the seatbelts).
On the few occasions they were used, the children were in their car seats which have their own head restraints built in.
Perhaps I should have added that to the article!
Thanks again.
All the best

Steve Williams
manikmike
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile...

Has anyone come up with a schematic for these?

I've someone willing to try to fab - but I can't even find time* to install the 20ft long tach wiring I've been staring at longingly, nevermind try to mock this up...

* I blame my toddler and 3rd grader's science projects; they're too young for psychological impact, right?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: