Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Curious about everyone's Westy closet use/mods
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Curious about everyone's Westy closet use/mods Reply with quote

Now that the westy is in storage, I'm left with too much time on my hands to daydream about mods (the favorite mod thread http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=171071 is addictive) and right now I'm obsessed with the westy closet.

How are you using it? We're not the type to use hangers for our jeans & tshirts, so there's all sorts of top air space. We end up dropping in a dirty laundry bag or extra bedding in it and there must be a better way to use it.

I'm starting to think that a really nice set of shelves would be worth pulling the cabinets and swinging the AC evaporator out of the way, but I figured I should ask around before turning this into a fullthrottle project.

Some things I've found:

Frank did a spiffy mod
http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/closet.htm

but my head hurts when it comes to cutting into the cabinets. The addition of a westy oem door on the side is nice (I don't seem to have that link handy) but again, that involves the saw.

I know some people have written about adding simple shelves like the hanging canvas/closet organizer ones, or perhaps adding the wire shelf storage runners. On the lowest-possible-impact level I've even found folks using locker shelves (seems to work for the bays https://www.thesamba.com/vw/gallery/pix/385115.jpg ) but for sake of discussion: Has anyone come up with some closet use method or mod they love?
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a copy of Frank's mod to the closet on my '87 Westy and there's no doubt that when you get right down to it, tools all laid out, powered up and ready to go, that it takes a BIG breath and a lot of resolve to cut into a perfectly good grey-laminate closet cabinet 'cause you want to "improve" it.

http://picasaweb.google.com/bike2vcu/ClosetMod

http://picasaweb.google.com/bike2vcu/WestyInterior03

On my own cabinet, I'm going to tweak the result because my wife does not like the door handles I selected and we may wind up repositioning some of the shelves, but we like this change overall. To us, it really is an improvement. The thing to remember is that if you are using anything other than a slider or rollup (like a rolltop desk) then the door has to open into the luggage space, which might be full of stuff and thus hinder the door swing.
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use mine to hang 2 pairs of jeans and 3 shirts when I go camping. The bottom holds a pair of sneakers.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
tds3pete
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the EVC, I added wire shelves, holding them back 3" from the door so I could hang clothes between the door and shelves:

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/ev_update/photos/view/5a7d?b=7

I also hinged the lower shelf to allow access below it:

http://autos.ph.groups.yahoo.com/group/ev_update/photos/view/5a7d?b=11
'79 Westy...Oscar
'95 Eurovan Camper/5 spd...Marsha Mellow
psych-illogical
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added a single shelf about mid height in the closet. Just helps me keep my odds and ends a bit more organized. I also eliminated the swing out table so I can open the door more easily. We have a folding table we use in camp.
'96 BMW R1100GS
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: sweet! thanks for the answers...some questions Reply with quote

campism you are one brave power-tool wielding handyman. I'm amazed by the amount of space you get out of it, I just... can't. Know I am interested in what kind of new handles you put there! Should also mention your curtainliner mod looks very nice.

You're a cool camper, bucko. Not to play the gender card but I seem to have a few more ... outfit needs.

Pretty nifty, tds3pete. Wonder if I could adapt your idea... the Vanagon Westy has one "paper" wall, it isn't solid. I like the way you set it up to tilt.

How did you mount the shelf, psych-illogical? Your point about the swing out table is a well taken although we use that table LOTS. I'm thinking about doing the table leg mod to hold it turned over the stove.
View user's profile Send private message Facebook Twitter Gallery Classifieds Feedback
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
...there's no doubt that when you get right down to it, tools all laid out, powered up and ready to go, that it takes a BIG breath and a lot of resolve to cut into a perfectly good grey-laminate closet cabinet 'cause you want to "improve" it.

Gadzook, I just did this YESTERDAY.

I've always been annoyed with the mirror closet on my '84. The rear table was always in the way (did they fix that later or was the Westfalia team still drunk on good German beer for later designs?).

I used the closet for storing pillows, blankets, sleeping bags and, at the very bottom, my two leveling blocks for camping spots. But accessing the closet innards was always a pain in the patootee. And when I'm camping, neatly pressed clothes on hangers are the last thing on my mind so it was always the storage spot for the large, squishy stuff.

Here' what I did (though I like Frank's mod):
    Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

The door is the refrigerator door from the local U-Pull-It and I took off the inner insulation pane, trays, and stove/refrig instruction plate from inside the door. I did some really careful measuring (about ten times) and then reached for the saber saw, did three Hail Marys and sacrificed a sheep on the alter of Ferdinand Porsche before drilling the first hole for the saw blade. Then did my laundry. I wanted to hang the door so it opened from the inside but the 'fridge door doesn't have left-side hinges and you can't flip them. In fact, the only left side hinge in the whole van is on the tiny door at the bottom of the storage bins.

But it worked!

I haven't cut the slot for the plastic T-edging yet to cover and protect the inside edge of the opening (the router bit's on BO) but once that's done then I'll add the plastic and be done (when I got the door, I also got the plastic edging for the inside).

(BTW, if you need the insulation panel and the door seal for your Dometic 'fridge, they're for sale in the Classifieds. The two trays just sold but I still have the rest. Plug, plug...)

Haven't decided what to do on the interior yet. I was figuring on hanging some new small spice-rack-like shelves on the door interior and the shelf ideas presented above give me some good ideas for the inside of the closet itself.

This thread couldn't have come at a better time.
lovedavdubs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Nice work Moot!
MootPoint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! The router bit just arrived - finally - so I'll be able to install the plastic T-trim, finish this up and start on the shelves. I'll post something when I'm done. I don't really have any tips to offer if you decide to do this except work very slowly and make sure you don't have any bad karma lurking around when you finally reach for the power tools.
campism
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

> I am interested in what kind of new handles you put there

We're going to try the little recessed fingertip door pulls (like a little cup) in place of the larger silver loops in the photos. I like the ones we have but the bride wants something else, so we're compromising and doing what she wants.

I will take photos and post the link, or do it here if one of you folks will detail the steps for posting pics within a post. Thanks!
BoneStock67
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about getting rid of the closet entirely?
I find that it causes a big rear-view blindspot, it takes away from z-bed space for multiple sleepers, and anything I would put in the closet I could put in bins or maybe hang on hooks.
I guess it does something to support the air conditioner shelf, but has anyone considered replacing it with some kind of shallower wall unit with mesh storage, etc?

"There are two possible outcomes: if the result confirms the hypothesis, then you've made a measurement. If the result is contrary to the hypothesis, then you've made a discovery.” -Enrico Fermi
jackbombay
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Curious about everyone's Westy closet use/mods Reply with quote

j8 wrote:

Frank did a spiffy mod
http://members.aol.com/Fkc43/closet.htm

That is BOSS!!!!!

I'm doing that, except I have to keep the "garage space" for oil, brake fluid, and all that stuff.
j8
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, Moot, that's all kinds of good looking. Looking forward to your update & seeing your shelves.

Thanks campism, hope you find something you both like.

We need the closet stow space, BoneStock67, but I'd like to make it really useful for clothes. I really try to keep our packing down to the cabinets, because too much luggage just feels like clutter.

jackbombay, it certainly would keep all the spares better organized!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: