Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine thermostat?
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
fisheye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Engine thermostat? Reply with quote

Do I need to stall the thermostat and the vents that open and closed on my engine (located in S Florida)? It seems like an uneeded item at first glance but I would like an opinion or 2 from the subject matter experts!
crofty
Judas of the North

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since they installed them on all VW's i'd say it couldn't hurt to have one.

HamburgerBrad wrote:

I slept on crofty's tent once. I passed out drunk from two bottles of Everett's brother's wine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ztnoo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thermostats Explained
by Richard Atwell

"Long engine life is not hard to achieve as long as all the parts are in place and functioning properly. Because the engine is air-cooled, the control of air flow to manage cylinder and oil temperatures is critical to engine life.

Whether or not you live in a hot climate you must have a working thermostat flap system for maximum engine life. Hoover said it best, "Unfortunately, without the thermostat your jugs will wear like a bitch, as will your valve guides; you'll burn more gas, suck a lot of oil and have a hell of a time passing your smog check".

Gene Berg is even more specific. He says missing thermostats increase engine wear 15-17%.

When the thermostat is missing, the engine takes too long to warm up in most climates. If you live where it's 100F all day long every day of the year you might think you can probably leave it off but where it's hot it can also drop from 85F to desert night temperatures in 24 hours.

If you live in a climate where you can drive all year round in mild temperatures (60-70s) such as the California coast then a thermostat is required. If you live in Canada or parts of the USA where it snows, it's required. If you live in Texas or Florida it's required. No if's and's or but's. Why?"

http://www.ratwell.com/technical/Thermostats.html

"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else."

When you put the 2 words "The" and "IRS" together it spells "Theirs"

* Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Engine thermostat? Reply with quote

fisheye wrote:
Do I need to stall the thermostat and the vents that open and closed on my engine (located in S Florida)? It seems like an uneeded item at first glance but I would like an opinion or 2 from the subject matter experts!

All through the 60s and 70s, mechanics around the world removed the thermostat assembly for fear of a failure in the closed position. IMO this fear is unfounded. However, during this time, millions of Beetles were driving around for hundreds of thousands of miles without a lot of problems.

Nowadays, people are better informed and realize there is really no need to remove the thermostat assembly. Some people even take a Nazi like stand that you must use the T'stat even if you never leave the Sahara desert.

For you in South Florida, the missing t'stat is not a big deal. If I lived there, I wouldn't bother hunting down the parts. If I had the parts on my engine, I'd leave them there. You will never see any difference one way or the other in your climate.

FYI, VW eliminated the t'stat assembly in the latter years of production in Mexico. Nobody there has ever heard of any negative effects due to this. Your weather is similar, so you will have the same results.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Chas223
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will only hurt yourself in the long run, not running a T-Stat, the benefits, if any, are minimal, and I have never seen any research from anyone who claims removing the thermostat helps the engine.

Besides have you been to a salvage "yard" lately and tried to find the pieces for a Thermostat? you just about cannot find them anymore as most people now realize that they are worth having.

I run one in every VW I have owned.
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chas223 wrote:
You will only hurt yourself in the long run, not running a T-Stat......

The guy lives in south Florida. It won't make any difference if he has a thermostat or not.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
Chas223 wrote:
You will only hurt yourself in the long run, not running a T-Stat......

The guy lives in south Florida. It won't make any difference if he has a thermostat or not.

of course it won't, that's why vw deleted them when they shipped the cars to florida originally....

GEX has. Just sayin
fisheye
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see the benefit of the thermostat. However, if any part of if malfunctions the motor will cook really fast. My uneducated guess is that there is a greater risk leaving the thermostat installed.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So... who's removed the thermostat from their non ACVW?

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fisheye wrote:
I see the benefit of the thermostat. However, if any part of if malfunctions the motor will cook really fast. My uneducated guess is that there is a greater risk leaving the thermostat installed.

well hell i see the benefit of a cooling system, but if it fails it could cook the engine...why chance it? pull the fan off and you'll have no worry as to if it will fail... Wink

GEX has. Just sayin
roofcat
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like most have stated... use it in a cooler climate. The warm up time and bringing the oil up to temp. is important. When the oil is cold and thick it works the oil pump a lot harder, especially if you attempt higher rev's. this in turn (worse case) can cause air gaps in the oiling system due to the pump trying to work thick cold oil which would lead to the excessive wear... or, get a cylinder head temp gauge, or gauges. and when it warms up then drive it.
Towel Rail
Horizontally Opposed

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glenn wrote:
So... who's removed the thermostat from their non ACVW?

I've actually heard of guys removing them from their watercooled cars. Why they thought it would help is beyond me. Confused

049 > 070 > 053 > 009
KTPhil Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same idea... failure will cook an engine or leave you stranded. Then some are too damn cheap to buy a new one... or use coolant. Wink
Ron Domeck
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tought when the engine was cold the flaps were shut, when the thermastat explodes the flaps stay open all the time, not close. So by removing the system you are only changing the warm up, not the cooling at normal engine temp.
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ron Domeck wrote:
I tought when the engine was cold the flaps were shut, when the thermastat explodes the flaps stay open all the time, not close. So by removing the system you are only changing the warm up, not the cooling at normal engine temp.

True, but even open the flaps help direct the air to specific locations on the heads. So if you're not using the thermostat you should install the flaps and wire them open.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Engine wears excessively when cold so thermostat warms it up quicker. Regardless if the starting temp is 10 degrees or 90 degrees running temps are @ least 2 to 3 times that so the thermostat cant hert.

“you should install the flaps and wire them open.”
Or use after market cooling system with thermostats not incorporated in the design—good point however!
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alsehendo34 wrote:
“you should install the flaps and wire them open.”
Or use after market cooling system with thermostats not incorporated in the design—good point however!

that would defeat the purpose...read what Glen wrote:

Glenn wrote:
True, but even open the flaps help direct the air to specific locations on the heads. So if you're not using the thermostat you should install the flaps and wire them open

GEX has. Just sayin
Thingggg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"that would defeat the purpose...read what Glen wrote:"

Jake T1 DTM is said to direct the air correctly without thermostat, other cooling systems make the same claim. Jake for one shows some pretty convincing #s. Just pointing out alternative. I also bet the late shrouds for Mexico are a bit different.
bugninva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alsehendo34 wrote:

Jake T1 DTM is said to direct the air correctly without thermostat, other cooling systems make the same claim. Jake for one shows some pretty convincing #s. Just pointing out alternative. I also bet the late shrouds for Mexico are a bit different.

you should be more specific instead of throwing out qualifiers after the fact....Jakes system is an entirely different animal and lots of folks wouldn't know a DTM if they tripped and fell on it....when you say "aftermarket system" folks will automatically picture an EMPI chrome shroud in their mind...they don't have provisions for a thermostat or flaps either...

GEX has. Just sayin
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't compare Jake's highly developed DTM system to those aftermarket shrouds that are just hollow cans.

It's like comparing a paper plane to a F18.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: