Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

American Racing Wheels on E-Bay
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
This page may contain links to eBay where the site receives compensation.
gfw1985
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: American Racing Wheels on E-Bay Reply with quote

Does this make my 4-spokes worth more? Unreal!
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/American-Racing-Mag...dZViewItem
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: American Racing Wheels on E-Bay Reply with quote

gfw1985 wrote:

Anybody who would pay that much for a wheel that's being re-popped is a retard. Real at 8K vs. re-popped, it doesn't change the overall appearance of the car it just shows how f**king stupid you are.
73notch
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: American Racing Wheels on E-Bay Reply with quote

chickengeorge wrote:
gfw1985 wrote:

Anybody who would pay that much for a wheel that's being re-popped is a retard. Real at 8K vs. re-popped, it doesn't change the overall appearance of the car it just shows how f**king stupid you are.

Anyone who thinks the repop is the same as the og is a retard.
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: American Racing Wheels on E-Bay Reply with quote

73notch wrote:
chickengeorge wrote:
gfw1985 wrote:

Anyone who thinks the repop is the same as the og is a retard.

Did I say they were the same? I said it doesn't change the "overall appearance of the car". I realize it's cool to have originals. The car is not going to look any better with real over re-popped wheels though. Those wheels are ugly, period. I realize they are cool and I'd love to have a set myself. I sold some Crestlines a few years back for 8 hundy and I wish I still had em to sell again. They were steel rims with aluminum centers pressed in...heavy, ugly garbage and they re-pop them anyway.

Don't let the rare crap you can afford to hang on your car define how cool your car is. That's what separates the younger innovators from the stagnant old timers with money.
Cohibra45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys,

The difference is original vs. reproduced. Kind of like a real 65 AC Cobra verses a new Superformance. You only get the chance to purchace an original when new once. If it is produced in low enough numbers and there is a demand, the price goes up.

Someone makes a reproduction and sells it for 1/10 the cost of an original and people get what they pay for. Just like original Fuchs that I have vs the reproduced. The quality and offset of the originals are spot on where as, the repops are not nearly as nice. They look almost the same, but close inspection most people can notice a difference.

Your right, the difference between old and young is most of the time money, but mainly it is I remember when I could have bought those for nothing a few years ago (usually over 30yrs Very Happy )!!! Now I have the money and by damn, I am going to get them now!!! Surprised

Take care,

Kelly (Cohibra45)
ach60 Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would feel uncomfortable paying $8K for a set of 40 year old cast aluminum wheels made by an American aftermarket supplier.
I would be worried about metal fatigue, cracks & ultimate failure.
Aluminum’s failure mode compared to steel is quite drastic, and could be deadly.
Also comparing the quality of original American Racing wheels to original Fucks is not valid.
The logic tract is not valid.
I agree that reproduction Fucks are not as good as original Fucks, and that I wouldn’t run reproduction Fucks.
But the same is just not true for American made aftermarket equipment.
These things are rare, and command the price because of the rarity, but I’d never run them.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Bruce
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:

I agree that reproduction Fucks are not as good as original Fucks, and that I wouldn’t run reproduction Fucks.

Fucks?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
a.wilson
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce wrote:
ach60 wrote:

Fucks?

Laughing

oemwolf
racerx45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ach60 wrote:
I would feel uncomfortable paying $8K for a set of 40 year old cast aluminum wheels made by an American aftermarket supplier.

Well it's a good thing then that they are Magnesium and not aluminum then
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cohibra45
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the same thing with original Cragers and Torque Thrusts. You pay for originality, not anything else. Sometimes you get better quality, but that is not the point. It was the real thing 'Back when' Cool !!!

Nostalgia does things to us that were born back then.... Confused Not sure if it is a good thing or not. I'm having a birthday this Sunday, as we all have once a year. Getting older is not bad; not when you consider the alternative Shocked !!! Laughing

I'm building my 70 Ghia vert to be my personal 'Speedster'. I realize it isn't original or even one of the replicas. I like the fact that it is a great convertible. It has roll up glass windows and a glass window in the rear (that can be lowered for more air when driving Cool )!!! It also has the classic VW/Porsche rear engined, aircooled and handles/drives similar. I'm putting in a lot more hp and better brakes, changing the suspension to handle better!!! Twisted Evil

It also has classic lines also...

I guess you can say I'm doing a Resto-Mod. It is what I want and I am old enough to realize that by making these changes, the money I spend on the car, I will never recover! Who cares, that is what I have been working for all my life. I'm the one I'm spoiling and I'm enjoying it!!! Very Happy

So, bottom line, if you want original and can afford it, buy it and enjoy!!! If you can't, don't complain about the market prices. Demand and availability drive prices Razz ! Buy your reproductions and be happy! Life is too short to complain, !!!

Take care,

Kelly (Cohibra45)
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations MICROBUSASAURUS!!

$8,300.00 Final Winng Bid!!
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things are only worth what people will pay for them.
$8300 is more than I was originally offered for them when I first got them, and $300 more than I wanted for them, so with Paypal fees it came out perfect.

The "market" set the price via ebay, so in my book a good set of clean uncracked, unwelded, true, round Magnesium American Racing Torque Thrust is worth $8300.

A set that has been welded, or are cracked would be worth much less, and an NOS set in the boxes would be worth much more.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hawynvdub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mr. warehouse wrote:
The "market" set the price via ebay, so in my book a good set of clean uncracked, unwelded, true, round Magnesium American Racing Torque Thrust is worth $8300.

Play on playa! "Let them hate and watch the money pile up" Cool
I can't even get my hands on repops dammit. Laughing
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im surprised they even made it to ebay Greg with all the pre ebay offers you were getting that you mentioned to me while we communicated over your N.O.S set.

Maybe the so called "Market" at the time was not ready for the "Severe Rarity" wheel factor prior to you putting them on ebay??

I'm Very glad to hear they sold for over $8K Very Happy and the deal is sealed on them!!

Happy Thanksgiving!
chickengeorge
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Greg.

I got no problem taking advantage of dumb people who got the money to pay.
glandnut
40 horses of Fury

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on the pre-recession bank account backup.. you damn sure can't get the type of grip that empi GT wheels and OG raders used to command. You can hardly give those things away now.
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say I took advantage of anyone, and I definitely wouldn't call them dumb.

In the past I've paid way more for stuff than anyone else would have just because I wanted it. I hope no one called me dumb or thought they took advantage of me.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mango Juice wrote:
Im surprised they even made it to ebay Greg with all the pre ebay offers you were getting that you mentioned to me while we communicated over your N.O.S set.

Maybe the so called "Market" at the time was not ready for the "Severe Rarity" wheel factor prior to you putting them on ebay??

I'm Very glad to hear they sold for over $8K Very Happy and the deal is sealed on them!!

Happy Thanksgiving!

I missed your post Rich...

Here's what I think happened. A lot of "players" passed on this set of wheels because they are waiting for the NOS set to be offered up for sale. Unfortunately for them that's not going to happen. I relayed that to anyone that asked. Even during the auction I had people emailing me asking when I was going to post the NOS set for sale and making offers on them.

Bummer for them as I doubt another set thi nice will come up for sale any time soon.
Mango Juice
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really Greg?? you decided to keep the N.O.S set over three weeks ago??....after that $16K Offer came in from some bloke remember....I was out of the deal at the $12K we discussed weeks ago as I was not going to get into a bidding war ....the bummer is the person I had lined up to buy my set did not get to seal the deal as you decided to hold onto your N.O.S set!...no worries Greg....the hex center cap deal is still in the works if you need a set....I know a few people who are need of them....Happy Thanksgiving!
mr. warehouse
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to keep the NOS set the day I got them.
Yeah people have offered me decent money ($15k was the highest offer) but nothing that made me want to sell them.

No need for 2 sets, so I sold these instead. They are the least "desirable" of the 2 sets, I'm sure you agree.

It's no secret that I fished for the best money from them *before* going to ebay. But in the end I figured ebay was the best way to sell them and have no hard feelings from all those interested.

I'm really surprised the hex cap deal is still going down since. I'm still down for a set to put with the 3 bars and the 2 piece caps as well. If I can get a set of hex caps I'll need to find 1 other style to have 1 cap for each wheel. That would make a good display....
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Custom Wheel/Tire All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: