Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

accel cable suddenly too long
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: accel cable suddenly too long Reply with quote

Over period of two weeks my accel cable went from perfectly adjusted to out of adjustment. The place where the cable connects to the carb has not moved. Pedal has lost about 2/3rds of its working travel. (travel is there, but cable is slack)

Perhaps the cable is frayed somewhere in the tunnel, and it needs to be replaced?
Should I not worry about the problem and just replace the cable anyway?

Do I hook the new cable to the old cable where it connects to the carb or where it connects to the pedal to fish it through?

Thanks for any comments.
I searched on this first but didn't find anything useful.

alg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
mattt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fish the new one in from the pedal end. What may have happened with yours is if the carb end has a removable end, it may be slipping out of the end. Is the boss on the carb end of the cable molded to the cable, or is it one of the slip on w/set screw ends? Some VW shops carry a long cable and then give you an end to put on the cable once you cut it for length.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
joosty_chin
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yah what he said. just replace it. there cheep. i cut off the end that attaches to the gas pedal, and attached string to both old then new, fed it thru a bit into the tunnel, went to the rear and pulled on the old one. wah-la. attach front and secure rear, and your done. you might want to even spray a bit of silicone spray on the new one, or wd 40.
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found the problem.
The cable is fine. The problem is that the metal shaft the cable runs through slid about halfway out of the fan shround.

When the metal shaft is returned to its correct position the accel cable is perfectly adjusted.

Now I just have to figure out why that shaft 'suddenly' wants to move all the time.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
uberautowerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- - - The "Guide tube" does that! The factory had rubber grommets around the tube. When I build a engine I put a piece of hose over the tube between where it exits the fan shroud and where it goes through the tin over the flywheel. Then I put a hose clamp over the hose to keep the whole mess in place. The hose prevents rattles and the clamp secures the tube.
- - - That said, you can slip a hose clamp over the tube with the engine installed. It takes some fiddling to get it on and tight, but it will keep the tube from moving!
--- The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong it usually turns out to be impossible to get at and repair.
- Douglas Adams -
---
'74 Thing (White)
'71 Single cab (White too)
'70 Weekender (White three)
'05 Evolution VIII (White also!!!)
'68 F-250 (White over black)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: