Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My buggy project.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!!!!!
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT"S ALIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I never post another post you can assume my wife got a hold of me and I'm either dead or mortally wounded. Pray
I pulled the 1776 out of the rail and will run it in the FG car. I had a dual progressive on it but the engine lid would not close sooooooo. I found a smoken deal on a set of Kadron 40-44's, intakes and linkage. OH MY GOD! What a difference as far as throttle response. These tires don't stand a chance Twisted Evil

This is my very first set of duals. I borrowed a balancing flow thing-a-ma-jigger and got them dialed in nice. The idle jets seem to be right on but the main jets might be a little big (Getting a puff when I open it up hard).

SO, I need to grease my axles and install them, still have some steering arm issues (need to shorten one and lengthen the other). THEN this baby is going around the block!

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
ManxBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great! I may need to drive down to your August show this year.

What's the bag on the roll cage for?
Vee Dub Nut
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the video? Laughing

Looking good sir!

67 Beetle (TBD)

74 Transporter (EJ25 Swapped) - Build Thread: https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

See all my VW pics on Instagram @ vee_dub_nut
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looking great! I may need to drive down to your August show this year.

What's the bag on the roll cage for?

That would be awesome! I'd like to hook up for sure. It was to bad the Farfromhome show got rained out this year.
The bag was given to me by my neighbor. He asked if I could use it for anything. I said sure! I don't like driving with my wallet in my pocket (I have back issues) so I thought it would be a neat place to put my wallet while driving. It is off a mountain bike I think. Handy little thing.

Quote:
Where's the video?

I wish I had a video camera cause I would have recorded some footage.

The car was gas up, wired up and took for a run.
Gas can

And jumper cables it was ready for "the test".

No pictures of me but I went first, pictures are of my neighbor who happens to own a clone. I went down the ally nice and slow. Check brakes a few times and did a few slow slalom turns. Felt real good. Went around the block and checked to see I had all 4 gears..... looking good. The brakes seemed to need to be pushed a long way before they would start to work. I readjusted them and now they are much better. I guess the pads seated themselves or moved around a little. The brakes are unbelievable. Stops perfectly straight and stops like right now. All four wheel seem to lock up at the same time with a panic stop(It was easy to see with the body configuration) Cool.
The car so far has exceeded my expectations, I am so pleased. I can't wait to get it up to speed on the open road.

You could try 1000 times to get a shot like this. total fluke (Hat blew off)

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008

Last edited by Glasser on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a mad man hell bent on getting this car done!!!!!!!!!!! Twisted Evil

It was a late night last night!
Once the joy ride was over and my hands stopped shaking from the adrenaline Cool It was back to work.

I repainted the interior and the underside exterior of the body. Pulled the cage out, seats out and put the body on. Cage went back in.

I left a small portion (a masked off badge) of under the hood the factory color. Thought it would be kind of neat to retain the original color since there are no VIN numbers to trace color.

Next is electrical and reinstall the windshield and................. I think that is it!!! I have a goal set of three weeks to complete. But this will largely depend on availability of parts.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great....but you ain't really living til you drive that pan through a fence Rolling Eyes Laughing Laughing Laughing
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing
I thought about you as I was getting it ready. I figured how long would it really take to bolted the seats down............................ yep I better do it. Cool
yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasser your ride is looking great!
I have a question about the wheel alignment. You have shorten and narrowed your pan. how did you keep your front and rear wheel alignment?
I have a project in mind, I have a empi sportster that has the pan cut 12in short, i would like to narrow the front and rear torsion 12in also. If I make a square that will allow a percent of off alignment I should be ok?
Can you elaborate on your squarness?
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
OK big read here, didn't mean to make a novel but hope this helps. Also this is the first frame I did so I do not consider myself an expert. But this is what I did.....
I did not narrow the pan, only the front beam. I took equal amounts off of both sides and used angle iron to keep both pieces in line when re welding back together. For the frame I followed the body for width and length. I tried to get the rear suspension as close to the fiberglass (rear suspension forward) as possible to keep the back wheels away from the curvature of the rear fenders, some designs this isn't a concern as there is no fiberglass behind the rear wheel. It goes up and around the back if you know what I mean. Now as far as the rest measure measure measure!!!
I built the frame square to it's self. Work from a center line and make all measurements from there. Once I had the basic frame made I measured it 50 times I swear before I was happy. Obviously you have to have a plan and need to be always thinking ahead. Have a wheel base in mind and do a pile of mock ups. Buggies are fairly forgiving as far as wheel base front to back. If you were out a quarter of an inch you wouldn't see it (some bodies are better than others.) Once I did the frame I drew it out on the concrete floor (traced it), found the center line, marked the floor and my frame and flipped it over. They matched perfectly.
For the front I measured from the back bar of the frame (because the frame we know is square) to the front mounting points of the front end. Made them parallel. Then measured criss cross for squareness. Measure multiple times from multiple areas. They should always be the same. Side to side, end to end criss cross from all different points. The more you measure the more chance you will find something wrong "IF" there is something wrong.
When making the front mounting surface make sure you don't make the frame too wide like I did (see I wasn't thinking ahead). I had to drill holes through the clamps to allow the grease nipples to be accessible. If I did it again I would narrow up the front of the frame a bit.
So we have a square frame and front mounting points that are also square to the frame. Now we need to do some criss cross measuring again to get the front beam centered to the frame. Again measuring from multiple spots do the measuring and double check. I found not all surfaces are the same. Some castings can be thicker for example. I'm guessing the factory didn't really care what the material shape was like in some cases, all they wanted is the mounting points to be accurate so use this to your advantage and use things like bolt holes, machines surfaces to measure from. If you are lowering your car add some camber into the design. I used a camber shim (I measured one) to decided the amount of offset in the frame.
Then the back. You will need to make even more measurements for the back. BUT FIRST!!!!! Make sure the swing axle or IRS suspension is centered in the spring plates. If you look at the spring plates they are slotted. Center in the slots and THEN you can start making measurements. Now if you are out in one direction or the other we have adjustment either way. This is a very important step!
The back is a little more tricky to get right but again the more you measure the better chance you will get it right on. Do some work one day and walk away. Come back another day with a fresh mind and measure again. Start with getting the back parallel and centered to the frame and tack weld into place. Then measure hub to hub to check front and back wheel base, and the all important criss cross measuring from front suspension to rear suspension. At this point if you have something out a little bit you have to get the wheel base correct even if you need to shift the rear suspension a little. Will the rear suspension be 100% square and in line with the frame... In a perfect world yes but if it is not you are not going to notice it. What you are going to notice is the car driving down the road dog tracking because the wheel base isn't square to it's self. So this is paramount, get that wheel base the same front to back and criss cross at all costs.

Now after alllllllll this you need to take the body into consideration. Fiberglass bodies are not symmetrical, trust me on that! So you could have a perfectly square frame and perfect wheel base but the body is not square ................ So now what. Your body that is off will make your perfect frame look like it is way out of whack. This happened to me and I had to pull the front end of the car over (tweaked the body) so the spacing from the out side of the front wheels were centered to the fiberglass. I thought I screwed up my frame at first and dam near cut it apart cause I was positive something was out.... there was... it was the body! This is why mock ups are so important all through out the build.
Now one last step. When you are happy with everything weld everything solid! Be careful not to pull the frame with heat when welding. You will be generating a lot of stress when you weld the entire frame at once so move around to different areas to spread the heat.

I hope this helps.
gr8cobbler
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need help understaning what you've done here. Seems to me you have engineered the ability to tune your rear suspension side to side as well as up & down? Hope that makes sense. The work is first rate, would love to see pictures of the specifics of this customization.

Being a cheap old fart is just a front for my actual lack of money. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.
Can you keep a secret?? This is everything you need to know about the rear. Wink

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C26%2D501%2D200

It's that easy Cool (the same as doing a front suspension but for the back). I have the front and back set up so with the adjusters all the way out the car is in its lowest ride position. From there I can go up 4" front and back.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting ready to start the wiring. I had some reinforced water hose I thought might work to protect the wires. I was going to run the wiring up the center of the car but after inspecting the underneath of my car it looked like it would be easy to sneak the wires under the side of the body. I understand most FG cars are done this way.
I grabbed a hole saw and made a few cuts and slid the hose right in (all one piece). I'm tempted to paint the hose black(You can't really see it) but leaving it this way the wiring will be visible. But is it really necessary to see them??

yankee1919
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Glasser,
I am printing out the entire build for my late night reading, will keep an eye on your project as well as others in the future.
ride on Very Happy
tony
los angeles ca.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem. Hope it helps.

Another update... See I told you I was hell bent on getting it done.

Today finished the rear bumper.

The car originally had the power sucking dual cannons for exhaust and that is why the engine cover has notches out of it. For now until I do the body work I tried to make it look like the bumper went through these notches. Once I do the body work I will fill the holes in and make a new bumper.

I relocated the oil filter and shortened the oil lines.

I had the glass installed in the window frame today and will pick it up tomorrow.

I'm happy I'm making so much progress but sad in a way cause that is all for fabrication. I will be doing a cool roof rack for long journeys but that is considered an accessory Cool

Last edited by Glasser on Mon Feb 09, 2009 4:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
ManxBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry too much the build will never be completely done.

You should make the rear bumper thicker and bend it a little higher and it may be a good solution for the photo radar problem.
73SpeedBuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the center-mounted brake light. I may steel that idea! Also, what did you paint the interior fiberglass with?
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Don't worry too much the build will never be completely done.

You should make the rear bumper thicker and bend it a little higher and it may be a good solution for the photo radar problem.

Very true. But as far as the fabrication goes, frame cage etc I don't think that will ever be changed. I should never say never. With the way it bolts in I could come up with a totally different cage and just bolt it in . Man that has possibilities. Laughing

Laughing so far "touch wood" in the 9 years I have been in Alberta I've only got one photo radar ticket....... in my wifes car. I told her she should slow down Laughing

Quote:
I love the center-mounted brake light. I may steel that idea! Also, what did you paint the interior fiberglass with?

Thanks. The light was on the car when I got it. I would prefer to have a LED 3rd brake light (The search continues). I'll do the swap when I do the body work. Wiring on this car was all messed up. The tail lights were single circuit so the ONLY brake light I had was the center one. Not good. So I added some tinny LED lights to the center of the tail lights to get my bye for now. The tail lights had blue dots in them so all I did was swap them for the red LED button lights.
When I do the lights I will convert the tail lights to dual filament and put the blue dots back in. The third brake light will be separately wired all together from the tail lights. Those will make it easier with no electronic box needed and will also add a fail safe safety factor . I'm going to run the third brake light from the second switch on the dual master cylinder. Should one sending unit fail I will always have brake lights. Hope that makes sense.

The interior paint was Duplicolor truck bed liner paint. The interior was already painted with some sort of bed liner but was chipping off (Wasn't prepped properly from what I can tell, I didn't do the original coat). So the color you see is what you will get but the texture is not as bumpy with the Duplicolor paint.
ManxBug
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
Laughing so far "touch wood" in the 9 years I have been in Alberta I've only got one photo radar ticket....... in my wifes car. I told her she should slow down Laughing

Got one last week. I call it my fan letter. Third one I've ever gotten. I can't see why that road would only be a 50km zone it was 2 lanes each way.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I call it my fan letter.

Fan letters are better than you being famous and them wanting your autograph Laughing . Those ones go on your record ................ unless you get them in BC or out of Provence Embarassed
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 6 of 10

Jump to: