Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My buggy project.
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:53 pm    Post subject: My buggy project. Reply with quote

I bought this buggy with the intentions of pulling it apart and making a project out of it. I miss getting my hands dirty and want this to be something I can say "I" built.

After buying it I got it register and insured, got that out of the way. Now I can confidently put some money into it and don't have to worry about registration or insurance issues.

The car runs fine but after the tear down I found a few "issues" with it. Not that it mattered as it was all getting trashed anyway. I'm making my own tube frame and converting the car to an IRS rear suspension set up. I'm planing on tying the entire car into a complete cage and lowering it to an inch of its life. So far I have the rear adjusters in and I'm working on narrowing the front beam two inches. I've got the frame as low as it will possibly go (The tires are just touching the body) and will weld in the adjusters so I have all up adjustment from there. Everything it tack welded so far. The body has been off and on half a dozen times checking engine cover clearances etc. The lower portion is just about complete. One final check for squareness and wheel base.

Yikes, the electrical was a rats nest. It was amazing it worked.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Separation anziety.... For me not the car Smile

This isn't doing much.....

Right torsion tube is "tweaked"

Pan has seen better days....

Frame construction....

Rear adjuster.... I drilled two holes and welded in some small diameter pipe for access to the adjusting screws.

Front beam cut in half.... what a mess!
GetPsycho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Nice project! Are you going to keep it the same color?

I really like the tail lights.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The paint is actually in pretty good shape so paint will be down the road, not enough funds right now. The original color was a traditional metallic blue (heavy fleck) . If I was to paint it I have no clue what color I would go. It's not like you have to match up anything to an interior color. Freedom!

The tail lights really suit the car IMOP. They had blue dots in the middle. I took them out and added a tinny Red LED light for added brake lights because, well the wiring didn't allow brake lights. Only the center brake light worked. This will all be addressed and done properly.
I would like to find out what the lights are out of. I'm thinking an AMC product. Not the Gremlin but.......AH can't think. I believe it was a four door car.

The dual exhaust is going and I will be using a merged header. I will use the cut outs in the engine cover and sneak a rear bumper bar out the notches.
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Matador, that's it! 1974. http://www.fedrelandsvennen.no/amcar/brochures/misc/74_1.html
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got the front end narrowed. I'm not exactly sure where I want the adjusters yet so Angle iron and some hose clamps will hold it in place for now.

I cut up some 2X3 tub and used it to box in the wishbone.

I put that body back on tonight with the help of my neighbor. Everything is looking good. I re checked squareness, parallelism, heights and clearances. I'm satisfied all looks good. Next is to weld everything solid (Everything is just tack welded right now.)
I also borrowed a rim from my neighbor. I was hoping to be able to tuck 10" rims under the back..... no go so 8's it is.
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the frame!!! How are you going to tie in the front end on the top tubes? Don't forget to add some positive caster.....when you do it.

Awesome I like!!!! How much do you have in materials $$$ for the frame??

Keep the pics coming.
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said it once before and I am going to say it again....the next buggy I build will not have pans. Now that I look at Glasser's approach, I doubt that I will even have a tunnel.

Puts a new spin on doing a "Raising the Tranny" project also.

Hats off to thinking out of the box Glasser.

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Murzi.
I plan on tying the entire car together with the cage. This will also tie in to the upper bars on the front suspension.
My friend had a shim for the caster so I will start with the beams perfectly vertical, measure the shim and this is the amount I will tilt the suspension back for the caster adjustment. Thanks for the heads up! I think I have all the basses covered but then again maybe not so I appreciate the tips.
I bought some other material at the same time (receipt didn't brake it down) so I'm not sure what the frame is costing me so far. I have used 24 feet almost to the inch.
I spent $173.00 and brought home 48 feet of 2X2 and 20 feet of 1X1 to give you an example.(Some more material for other projects).

Thanks Joe. I'm sitting on the fence if this will have a console down the center. I was thinking about having everything exposed , might look kind of neat. However I'll probably end up with a thin sheet of plate covering everything up to give it a clean appearance.

Brent
joescoolcustoms
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you would leave the center exposed, a Hurst Vertigate shifter or the MSE shifter would look wild!!

Both the vertigate and the MSE replace the front nose cone on the tranny and run three rods out the front. All three rods go to the shifter and the shifter side mounts instead of horizontal base mounting. Both shifters have a main stick for the 4 forward gears and a separate smaller shift lever for reverse. They shift in a straight line, not a "H" pattern.

Most of the pro stock drag bugs use a Vertigate or the MSE and they look so cool exposed.

Hmmmm, got me thinking about that next buggy................

Everyone is gifted. Some just do not open the package.

Looks like it was painted with a live chicken,polished with a brick and buffed with a pine cone
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what you are refering to. Yes, that would look super cool. Cool
GetPsycho
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would look awsome to leave it exposed,
and chrome all the linkage Cool .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
hotair65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what about a center tunnel that is fastened with dzus clips? removable and keep everything hidden for easy repair?
MURZI
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would incoporate the stock tunnel out of the old chassis to keep "the man" off my back...you dig??
45 Dells
A1 sidewinder
Fk44 cam
Mr Bs Bug N Buggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's ours with NO tunnel......

OH, sorry about the mess, we was busy having FUN...... Very Happy Shocked Very Happy Shocked
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Chrome linkage"
What I want to do and will be able to do are two different beasts. Confused Just a little thing called money.....
I'm hearing you Murzi. Up here.... well in Alberta I'll probably be OK. As for insurance I'm in a modified vehicle category already so really anything goes. It is insured by the appraised value.
Looking good BnB. Looks to nice to be getting muddy though. Love the shifter handle.

Not much accomplished lately. Well not much to look at. It is all welded and I got the front part of the old pan cut out and hole filled. Stuck a VW Logo on it to keep the build interesting. I also triangulated the front a bit with some 1 1/2" square tubbing. Might be some issues with the pedals being so high.... but I have big feet so might not be a problem (The pan is being welded to the bottom side of the tubing, I want max head clearance).

I also found out that I might not have to relocate my front shock towers. Because I made my own frame the front suspension is actually mounted a bit lower than stock so all I did was grind the top lip off and run a weld along the top again. I haven't mounted the body again since grinding the lip off, but it will be close.

The inspector looking over my work....

Last edited by Glasser on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yet again another mock up. I have new wheels on order which should tuck the rear tires inside the fender (I have about 1" of travel on the back still). This is the lowest the car can go. Well, I will be cutting the front snubber off so it could actually ride at this heaight..... but better stay away from the bumps. I just want to be able to slam the thing down for say a car show or event. In the "real" world I'm sure I will keep it much higher. Nice to have the option though.
My off road 16" fronts (To the left) make it look even lower LOL.
yona_usti
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heheh...I was going to ask you if you wired the dog up to the welder and chassis to check for a good ground.....YIP!!
tgodber
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I saw your link for RH Racecars I realized that is where I got my rollbar made. Nice guy. Did a good job of fitting the rollbar to my buggy.

Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
heheh...I was going to ask you if you wired the dog up to the welder and chassis to check for a good ground.....YIP!!

Sometimes I feel like I should. He is so nosy. I have to get him out of the garage when I'm actually welding. He would probably keep looking right at me.

Quote:
When I saw your link for RH Racecars I realized that is where I got my rollbar made.

I wondered about that when I saw the car. Unreal, small world.

Last edited by Glasser on Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:50 am; edited 2 times in total
alexh
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glasser....very nice build as u already now!! I like the way u ran the front frame tubes straight into the front beam lower mounts to achieve drop. And also on the rear raising the torsion housing over the frame/pan.

On the 2x2 square tubes used for the frame rails what guage/thikness/schd did u use?
On the 1x2 what guage?

thanks!!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: