Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

My buggy project.
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

oprn wrote:
I will put off my Rancho purchase then pending the outcome with yours Brent. Not sure if that gives you any leverage - likely not but may be worth mentioning that reputations hinge on these sort of things.

Thx for the support, will keep you posted.
Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

I would highly recommend Metal Craft Motorsport and Scott (mcmscott here on the forums). He built the IRS tranny for my street buggy and it rocks. Or Bill at Vallis, if you want to keep it on this side of the border.

brad
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Brad
Might I ask who the Welland shop is?
Paul

(With way more projects than spare time!)
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Brad
Might I ask who the Welland shop is?
Paul

Valid Motorsports. Bill has been building and maintaining Formula cars for over 30 years.

brad
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Ah yes... I presumed such but wanted confirmation.
Good guy with TONS of VW experience.

Paul

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

I'm going to have to rethink the back of the car but I finally got the fan I've wanted for my buggy. I'll see how it fits in my car since I molded the engine cover to the main body and probably make an extended lid.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

brad
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Unless a type 1 is a lot shorter than a type IV,
and I doubt it is you will need to space it out a lot. Going to need room to pull air in as well. I just hacked mine to get it on the road. Not sure what to do with it. Was thinking about cutting it to match the shroud profile and making a stiffener across the bottom with Porsche cut into it and have the lettering a third brake light.

Project#2. Neighbors build up. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=327008
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Ya, it's too bad they put the strap bolt right n top and not off to one side and hide it for a cleaner install. I might make a custom strap so the top of the fan is smooth. I will leave this lid alone and probably make a mold and form a new one with a blister to fit over the fan with a grill or something for airflow. Eventually this shroud will be going in my Bounty Hunter buggy.

brad
Tom_Kathleen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

There are several Manxter's that have Porsche style fan shrouds with a custom engine cover. I will try to find pictures for you for some ideas. Tom
Manxter #16, 1968 Meyers Manx & Kick-Out SS #16 (WIP)
Manx Club & CVA
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Brad

Where did you source the fan/cooling shroud?

Anyone else know of a retailer?

Paul

slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

hillmotorsports wrote:
Brad

Where did you source the fan/cooling shroud?

Anyone else know of a retailer?

Paul

It's a Bergmann setup. I bought it used on from one of the club guys in Calgary. I had to buy a cooler and adapter but still saved a pile of money. I'm going to use a CSP T4 oil cooler adapter and run hard lines out of the shroud from the stock oil cooler ports and then soft lines to a 72 plate cooler under the car. Then I can take advantage of the stock oil control circuits and just plumb the filter into the oil line from the pump back to the case.

brad
hillmotorsports
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Thanks Brad.
Knowing how it's normal to see more after you no longer need one, keep me posted if you hear of another deal like that!😊

Paul

Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Brad, are you going to change you bottom pulley size?
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Glasser wrote:
Brad, are you going to change you bottom pulley size?

I don't know. I will try it with a power pulley to see how the temps are on this fairly mild 1904 but I have a stock sized pulley sitting in the tool box if needed. I definitely won't run the dry sump size pulley that's on my big engine LOL. What size pulley are you running on yours Brent?

brad
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

I'm not sure the size I'd have to measure, and I will for you. But I do know I'm running pretty close to a 1:1 ratio.Bottom pully is the same as the top. I've read these fans can rob hp at upper Rpm. I suspect that's why Fat goes the 1:1. Slow it down a bit. I run 190 degrees pretty much at any temp. +20,+30 outside, makes no difference. The only time it builds heat is if I'm messing around on the highway, 120 plus for extended periods of time.
Fat did say I might need another oil cooler and to run it to see how it is.
My dream is to build some kick ass side pods with inlets simular to a Ferrari or Lamborghini and run dual oil coolers one on either side. But reality sinks in as I know fiberglass is way out of my league. 😞
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Or better yet do some research and see if any Porsches ran side vents and goth with the Porsche theme 👍
slalombuggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2018 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Fiberglasss is easy once you learn how to do it and that is pretty easy too, just a few things to follow. I wish I would have bought those side pods out of Quebec when that guy on the DBA was making them. I've tried a couple times to get hold of him to no avail. Look at what Porsche did on their LeMans and endurance cars for styling cues, although most of the coolers were put up front for better air and weight distribution, the 935s had huge brake ducts etc on them.

That Scat dry sump pulley I have is very small, I think 5". If the one you have is close to that I'll order another for this engine. I wonder what the hp difference is between the factory fan and this style?

brad
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

4.750 Dia lower pulley
Not sure about HP difference but the CFM is something like 3200
I think a stock type one is 1200
Glasser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Just sent David Kovacs at Rancho a message asking again about the gear noise on deceleration. Will keep you posted.
oprn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: My buggy project. Reply with quote

Excellent! Thanks!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Kit Car/Fiberglass Buggy/356 Replica All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 9 of 10

Jump to: