Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

What else to do while replacing a front heater core?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How hot does that resistor get? Reply with quote

Forthwithtx wrote:

You might consider this:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=623382

Cheers,

Karl

Um, yeah. That looks a lot more long term.

I'll see if I can figure out what's needed. The resistor, I know, but I'll revisit and see what can make of it.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
djkeev
Samba Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: How hot does that resistor get? Reply with quote

Paulbeard wrote:
Forthwithtx wrote:

You might consider this:

Cheers,

Karl

I'll see if I can figure out what's needed. The resistor, I know, but I'll revisit and see what can make of it.

That's an excellent mod ^^^^^ don't be so quick to dismiss it so off handedly.

Dave

Ghia
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=392473

Vanagon
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6315537#6315537

Beetle
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=482968&highlight=74+super+vert
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Paulbeard
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: How hot does that resistor get? Reply with quote

djkeev wrote:
Paulbeard wrote:
Forthwithtx wrote:

You might consider this:

Cheers,

Karl

That's an excellent mod ^^^^^ don't be so quick to dismiss it so off handedly.

Dave

I'm not. I'm a little overwhelmed/frustrated by the scope of this whole project. The part is ordered along with the vent hose that was missing Question tomorrow I hope to get it all back in there. I will be delighted if she starts and runs when I'm done.

Quote:
Git 'r DONE!
— dhaavers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: what else to do while replacing a front heater core Reply with quote

Yesterday I joined the ranks of those who have taken on this project in a Vanagon. The atrocious PNW weather and a few days off from work made this the long weekend to get after it. I've been collecting all the parts and bookmarking samba threads in preparation for a while.

This heater box is 1986 original, never opened, very interesting and almost archaeological to be touching fasteners that were last handled by a tech in "West Germany" in 1986.

I will do alot of the usual "while in there" stuff.

On tidbit: my new blower motor from VC has the end bearing that can be serviced through the Mullendore port already capped/sealed.

Big thanks to those who have gone before and posted about it; all the tricky operations were easy so far armed with the correct knowledge.
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: what else to do while replacing a front heater core Reply with quote

Question: the free swinging forced air flaps originally had some foam, now dust, which is much thinner the the foam on the control flaps. What have people used on these?
blaumeister
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: what else to do while replacing a front heater core Reply with quote

teej wrote:
Question: the free swinging forced air flaps originally had some foam, now dust, which is much thinner the the foam on the control flaps. What have people used on these?

I used the same stuff. 3M camper tape.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MMM0/0342...;ppt=C1956

Accept no substitute.
Skidub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2015 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: what else to do while replacing a front heater core Reply with quote

Teej, IMHO the insulation tape via the link below is the best product. I did some comparisons and went with this:

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Armacell-2-in-x-30-ft-R-1...mp;cj=true

On control flap #3 you want to have the flap extend about 3/16 past the steel flap for better contact with the box. You will need to cut a small strip and apply sticky side to stick side for this overhang so that there is no stickiness exposed.

I just disassembled and rebuilt my entire heater box. PM me if you get into it and have questions.
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: what else to do while replacing a front heater core Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. I used the camper tape on everything but the box is still on the bench, I will bench test today. I will have a look at the linked tape above while I'm at the Home Depot today.

I had to rebuild the hinge tabs on the free-swinging forced air flaps, they had become detached and the flaps were just laying in the box when I opened it up. That alone may explain our lame defrost air volume.

I had planned to do the resistor mod, but my original resistor still works, and there are no signs of any heat damage in the vicinity, so I will instead give the blower a good dedicated ground and reuse the resistor.

I'm hoping to finish up this weekend.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: what else to do while replacing a front heater core Reply with quote

teej wrote:
I had planned to do the resistor mod, but my original resistor still works...so I will...reuse the resistor...

As long as you're aware of the potential problem down the line, go for it...eyes wide open... Shocked ... Wink

All I'm saying is that nothing lasts forever. I did mine the first opportunity so I might never have to go
in the box again. Now I'm prepped for a ten-minute job if (sorry - WHEN!) the new one burns out.

Also, a cover on the fan tail bearing will keep the need for your Mully port to a minimum.

Either way, ventilation is a great thing...nice work! Cool

- Dave

<EDITED TO PROTECT INNOCENT PIXELS>
teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: what else to do while replacing a front heater core Reply with quote

dhaavers wrote:
teej wrote:
I had planned to do the resistor mod, but my original resistor still works...so I will...reuse the resistor...

As long as you're aware of the potential problem down the line, go for it...eyes wide open... Shocked ... Wink

All I'm saying is that nothing lasts forever. I did mine the first opportunity so I might never have to go
in the box again. Now I'm prepped for a ten-minute job if (sorry - WHEN!) the new one burns out.

Also, a cover on the fan tail bearing will keep the need for your Mully port to a minimum.

Either way, ventilation is a great thing...nice work! Cool

- Dave

Thanks Dave, your post on the resistor mod is fantastic!

I get the tail bearing cap wisdom, had planned on it, but the new blower (VC-Febi) already has that bearing sealed off.

Also, the tape that Skidub referenced looks like great stuff. In the plumbing aisle not with the other household weatherstrip.

Another dismal rainy day here makes the shop the best place to be, time to get back out there.
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2015 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: what else to do while replacing a front heater core Reply with quote

teej wrote:
...the new blower (VC-Febi) already has that bearing sealed off...

Awesome upgrade...keep it up, Febi! Cool

teej
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: what else to do while replacing a front heater core Reply with quote

Everything is back together and working great. I used the tape Skidub recommended on the free swinging flaps and camper tape on the others.

It is worth going in just to reseal the heater box flaps, the difference is dramatic and satisfying.

I partially drilled the block off plate similar to what Wildthings did in his thread. Seems great on first run but need to measure.

And after cleaning grounds and connections: Who knew the rear defroster switch had an illuminated icon???
dhaavers
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: what else to do while replacing a front heater core Reply with quote

teej wrote:
Who knew the rear defroster switch had an illuminated icon???

Shhhhhhhhh...only the cool kids know about it...

Wink Laughing Cool

Jeffrey Lee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What else to do while replacing a front heater core? Reply with quote

Anyone know if the two pre-formed heater core supply & return hoses (behind the dash, seen here in the photo from BenPlace) can be replaced with simple 5/8" ID heater hose? Or will the straight hose bind/kink?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

If it'll work, know how long they are?

I'll be doing this job next spring and have some Gates Green Stripe straight hose left over from another project; would like to know how much to save for this project ...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
vanagon1991
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: What else to do while replacing a front heater core? Reply with quote

As long as your there messing with the heater hose, might as well drop in an off/on valve. Got his idea from Terry Kay. Eliminates hot foot in the summer. Worked great for me this last summer. Can't even see it behind the cover but can reach under and turn it on/off. Home depot part.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What else to do while replacing a front heater core? Reply with quote

After tearing apart both ends of my van for a Bostig engine upgrade, I'm working to put the pieces together. My van is a 1989 Westfalia, 2WD, Automatic Transmission.

I'm working on the front heater core.

Below is a picture of the front heater core before I removed.

Obviously, I should have taken more pictures!

Jeffrey Lee, thanks for your picture from BenPlace. I believe my, 'feed,' and 'return,' line are now properly routed

I am confused about:

1) How this clip is to be used. Are both feed and return hoses supposed to be squished into the clip?

2) How this bracket is to be used. Is it for the heater hoses? Or for just the feed or return? Is the electrical supposed to be routed through the bracket? I think it's supposed to work with the clip somehow.....

3)I feel more confused when I look at the GW drawing. What are items 13 and 14 relative to item 13A?

If anyone has tips or advice I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dasilva
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: What else to do while replacing a front heater core? Reply with quote

Front heater core is back in. I'm reconnecting electrical. Anyone have insights to what the connection in my hand (pictured below) is for?

It's not for the side speaker. Passenger side power window???
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: