Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 101, 102, 103  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:

The BF Goodrich a/t is noted as a C rated

dgsaz

Which BFG? The 27" version is NLA.
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

cdennisg wrote:
dgsaz wrote:

dgsaz

The 215 75 15 are spec'd to be 27.6
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2022 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

dgsaz wrote:
cdennisg wrote:
dgsaz wrote:

dgsaz

The 215 75 15 are spec'd to be 27.6

OK, got it. I was thinking about the 27X8.5R14. As I recall, it measured just under 27"
dgsaz
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

I recently bought Grabbers in 205 and 215. I ended up buying from Tire Rack because Discount Tire told me that General Tire is no longer making those two sizes. When you go to the General Tires web page those sizes are missing, but the 14” is still available.

dgsaz
kermie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

My '62 Campmobile

Rear: Black Star Guyane R14
Front: Insa Turbo Dakar R14

Link

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

1966 Sundail Camper sold
Buggeee
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2022 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Buggeee wrote:
Shasta inspired tires for this camper.

Maxxis Bighorn 27x8.5r14

Load Range C

Mounted right up and onto the bus with no difficulties whatsoever. I'm not driving yet but manouveres in the barn lock to lock and seems to be ample clearance. Here's some pictures.

Stance

Front

Rear

SnowDaySyncro wrote:
Every setback is an opportunity to learn stuff and to buy new tools.
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2022 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Malokin Martin wrote:

What’s the best 205-75-R15 available these days?

OR what’s the biggest size R15 available that will fit stock flat fenders without rubbing?

215/75r15 fits without rubbing, but will require deflating the tire to install in the rear of an early bus.
SunburntLobster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2022 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

1963 OG panel with 205/70 R15 Goodyear Wrangler AT meats.

Larmo63
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

15” BFGs on my ‘61 singlecab, issues at all
'62 Pearl White Ragtop sedan
'66 Ruby Red Cabriolet
'86 Porsche 911 Carrera
T Crane
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

1967 Single Cab, stock height, Maxxis Buckshot Mudder II MT-764 LT 27X8.50R14 95Q C 6 Ply Mud M/T tires, black powder coated rims, hubcap clips removed, Krylon "pewter" painted drums, 4oz of balance beads inside each tire.

ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2023 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Please post more of your truck!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Tim MacDonald
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2023 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

I have a stock height 1961 so34. When I bought the bus it had 14” on it and I plan on keeping those for now. I’m wondering if anyone is running the general grabbers 27x8.5x14 on an earlier bus with the flat rear fenders? I have been going through this thread and see lots of people running them on the later split busses but read they are a tight fit on those ones so just want to confirm they will fit.

57 oval project barn find
88 cabriolet
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
66 dormi
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2023 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Any one running the Yokohama Geolander 215/75/15 They seem like a great tire but I’m unsure if they will fit at 8.5 wide and 27.7 tall🤔🤔🤔

Mini R53 bob the tomato
AJBLAIR
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

I figure you folks are the right dudes to ask... Is anyone running disk brakes on their big meat busses? Can the disk brake conversions handle our off road tom foolery? I like taking my bus down some pretty heinous back roads so I need durability but also would love some modern stopping power for my heavy ass camper bus.

Any info is appreciated.
cdennisg
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

I don't have a disc brake bus, but I can pretty much guarantee discs will be fine, and likely much better in off road driving than drums. Mostly due to wet stopping ability.
silkvw
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Quote:
I figure you folks are the right dudes to ask... Is anyone running disk brakes on their big meat busses? Can the disk brake conversions handle our off road tom foolery? I like taking my bus down some pretty heinous back roads so I need durability but also would love some modern stopping power for my heavy ass camper bus.

Any info is appreciated.

I have disc brakes on the front of my '59 bus, no problems. 24K+ miles so far, 4 trips to Big Bend and one to New Mexico for off road driving. 14" wheels, tight fit for the rears. Handook Vantra LT 185R14C up front and General Grabers AT2 27 x 8.5 R 14 LT rear.
And, you don't have to adjust the disc brakes.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=641871&highlight=
phatbus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Sharing my plans. I'm in the process of raising my bus back up to stock height. Haven't read this whole thread, but I've been through about the last 20 pages, which have been very helpful for sure.

My bus is a '66 Standard, but I'm going to be putting these earlier 15 inch bus wheels on it because I like the look a whole lot more, and they have a fair amount of original paint still on them, which will (sort of) match my bus. I was happy to learn elsewhere in this thread (and with a link to another thread) that the offset between crow and non-crow 15s is minimal. I was also happy to learn that some buses DID come with a mix on them, because I wondered about exactly that, because these wheels were allegedly all pulled from the same bus that sat in a field for decades, they're all either January or February 1959, but there are 3 crow and 2 non-crow.

My plan is to put the non-crow on the rear, crow on the front, and crow as a spare. I prefer the slightly narrower look for tires, and I'm paranoid about rubbing the spring plate, so I'm going with 205 rather than 215. I'm going to be ordering a set of General Grabber 205/75R15 from Discount Tire. Walmart was cheaper, but, Discount responded almost immediately to the price match request - about $128/tire.

Related - I originally ordered some 215 BFGs, and then Discount said they exceeded DOT parameters, so they wouldn't mount them. I canceled that order and came back here to do more reading before settling on a new plan. From what I can tell, even a stock size/equivalent tire for those 4 1/2 inch wheels now exceeds DOT allowances. Silly, right? So once I get the tires, I'll have to take them somewhere else to have them mounted.

Hopefully it'll all go well and I'll be back in the coming weeks with before and after pics of the bus.

*EDIT* Discount Tire didn't have any. Ordered from Walmart.

John Ghia
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

944 disk brakes upfront
challomoner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

Lot of work before these hit the road but needed tires to push it around while working on it

mandraks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2023 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Large tire/big meats - Stock suspension Bus thread Reply with quote

challomoner wrote:
Lot of work before these hit the road but needed tires to push it around while working on it

i found mounting my mirrors the other way is much better Wink
tires look meaty

Uli

----------------------------------------
'53 3-Fold Oval, L35 Metallic Blue, looking for a narrow hatch panel
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 101, 102, 103  Next
Jump to:
Page 102 of 103

Jump to: