Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Long-roofs
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Wow, amazing photos. The drivers side hit was something, glad they fixed it.

I vote back to yellow with logos.

"No, I do not own a bleepin' leaf blower"

--
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Touch Nicks Thing
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

So so so dope! Imagine moving 50' trusses with a single cab, insane!!

Mega thanks for sharing, made my day!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
apexxn
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Amazing documentation....... my parents didn't take that many pictures of me as a kid.
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:07 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Awesome update. and you didn't ask for color opinions, but I like either OG like you've done or the early 60's repaint. Can't go wrong either way.

Great build, thanks for sharing
Two Glove Boxes
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Very cool story and amazing photos! The stories are always the grand allure on some of the VW vehicles. Applause Applause Applause

1960 Dove Blue Double Cab Patina Build

Two Glove Boxes

DLK
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ryans65
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Unreal. So awesome!!!
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Wow, simply amazing! goes to show how cars undeniably grow their 'character' as a family member.
loving the 'VOLKSWAGEN' decal in the rearwindow in the shed tear down pic.

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
otahuhu
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Amazing, such good fortune to have made contact and that there is so much documented history that you are able to share.

I wonder if the gates are still on the mezzanine at the old Melville engineering building? " The tray body sides weren’t there, and they were at Melville Engineering’s workshop being used as edging on a mezzanine floor above the office area."

If you go yellow I hope you keep the inside blue...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
DanM
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2021 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

amazing! you must be stoked
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd singled Reply with quote

I’m really still trying to absorb all of it and being super busy with life and work all at the same time meanwhile trying to assemble it.

As far as some of the questions so far...

The pedal pin is being spray welded and Re machined and should have it back this coming week. Once it’s on hand I can make the larger bushing and then get the two bushings that are smaller made. Hoping this coming weekend.

I really wanted to go back with original paint and blend it. The truck had so much metal replaced and my effort of trying to powder coat the bottom and the inside making the nose greenish I decided to blow a flattened single stage on the entire truck. I’m still playing it as it comes but I plan on getting it completely back together and blue and then yellow exterior and sign paint as you see it in the last pic. I feel it’s how it spent it’s last mission as Jack’s truck and I want to make it look like that.

The original gates (all three) came over with the truck. They were sitting in the bed with the rear bumper in that pic I was furnished where it sat on the farm prior to it coming to the US. The side gates were really destroyed and badly rotten. The rear gate was pretty bad but I dove in head first and Mark made a very nice job of freshening it up.

The rear window appears in the pics to have the Yellow Volkswagen wording painted on it early in Jack’s ownership. Maybe done new? Not sure... it still says it and I’m cleaning it as best as possible with what’s left and installing it in the truck this week.

It’s wired. The pod is in, the fuel tank in, trans installed, beam and shifter/linkage all in. It has been a little slow going because the hardware has to get sorted, replacement hardware sourced and all blasted and plated.

I still need a floor mat, a nice working screw term 6v horn, front inner barndoor door handle, my outer door handles are kinda trashed, maybe those too...

I’ll share some pics here this week.

I appreciate everyone’s stoke and kind words via PM and text. This thing has been a very fun ride and the fact I found the owners family has made it even more wild for me.

wanted:
RHD Barndoor floor mat..reproduction is fine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
panel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Not sure if this was talked about , but why so many lug nuts ?

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

campingbox Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Are those hubcap clips and lug bolts - 5 of each, alternating?
D-train
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Man that bus did some work!!!
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

panel wrote:
Not sure if this was talked about , but why so many lug nuts ?

Nothing unusual about front drums. 5 lug like normal and if you zoom those are clips.

wanted:
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

D-train wrote:
Man that bus did some work!!!

That’s for sure and based on how rough it was when it was found it showed it’s life as being used for intended purpose.

wanted:
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Moving on to the progress of the pedal shaft. I picked it up and am happy with results. It had elliptical wear patterns so they machined that out and then spray welded the two areas and then remachined back to the original diameter.

The bushing is shown slid into the pedal block and I will use some loctite designed for this. After it is machined open to the size of the shaft.

wanted:
eddiemoney
East Coast Scavenger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2021 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

some pictures of the RHD BD pedal part my old roommates made for Gerson for his RHD.

you can kinda see the bushing they used.

instagram im_eating_pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
j.pickens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

I had missed the photo dump until today.

This is just incredible. The Easter Parade truss moving demo...Wow!

i wish more people would actually drive their vws rather than just talking about what they have in the garage.

Red Fau Veh wrote:
If you've seen one sunroof swivel seat kombi, you've seen them all! Cool
gatorwyatt
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

Made some much anticipated progress yesterday and this morning.
The pedals are in!
The accelerator rod was black nickel plated along with the mounting bracket. The pedals were powdercoated after locating and NOS RHD throttle years ago. (Thanks as always Mark) the bolts silver zinc’d and the bushing were cut by my long time buddy Chris Cross. Super generous of him to share half a day machining parts. Thanks again, Chris!

Clutch pedal w/new bushing and aluminum support with new bushing

New bushing pushed into the frame

Clutch pedal fits perfect on outer tube of shaft.

This is a cap that retains a seal for the shaft to keep grease inside the frame tube

Brake master cylinder push lever

Starting to build the assembly

Brake pedal situated

Throttle on

Other end of throttle shaft and finished

Done!

If anyone has clear pics to show how throttle return spring and brake return spring hooks It would be super helpful. I looked through the gallery. Did t see much.

wanted:
djfordmanjack
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2021 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Melville Engineering steel and pipe 54' rhd single Reply with quote

most excellent ! beautiful detail work !

52 Barndoor DLX Coachbuild project
55 Wolfsburg panel project, og paint Taubenblau L31
62 Dickholmer, custom color Seeblau L360
63 1500 Notch, og paint Rubin Rot L456
67 1500 Käfer, og paint Lotus weiß L282 w/red interior
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
Jump to:
Page 14 of 16

Jump to: