Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

63 on Gearbox in a barndoor?
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
54DoubleDoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: 63 on Gearbox in a barndoor? Reply with quote

Does anyone know what mods are required to acheive fitting a 63 on box in a barndoor.

Was chatting at the weekend in Sunny Brighton and got talking about this conversion in my panelvan. It would greatly improve its driving whilst keeping it stock looking.

The area that is cloudy to me is the nose cone end? what would be required around there.. i'm not wanting to cut the chassis about though.

Cheers

Deano
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought a barndoor torsion housing was narrower than that of a 63, so wouldnt that mean the spring plates would not lign up at all with the RGB's?
54DoubleDoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm.. it is

but i was under the impression it could be done somehow... maybe i'm wrong.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
sled
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, you could either narrow the axles on the 63 transmission (far from cost effective) or you could build offset spring plates to take up the width differed, similar to the offset spring plates used on straight axle lowering kits.
EverettB Premium Member
Administrator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ones I have seen use Barndoor axles and reduction boxes on a tunnel-case center section.

A guy on the site has this in his Barndoor Deluxe right now.

I'm not sure about the nosecone, maybe just use the regular split-case to tunnel-case conversion/solid mount?
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Last edited by EverettB on Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:10 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Deano,

I think its swap nose cone off Bd Box (thats the bit im not sure on).If not may be one of those adapter front mounts then for the back end get some aluminium spacers made up - 67Ben has some on his Bd (running this exact setup i think) and Clinton(Bergy) has just had some spacers made up - very nice too.

HT steel longer bolts and later split Spring plates used to match Red'n Boxes - job done and safely.

Pm Clinton or Ben for pics and details.

Cheers

Mark
54DoubleDoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Mark,

is there an issue with the rear torsion tube being narrower though... visions of spring plates bending out to meet the Reduction boxes spring to mind Confused
52panelvan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what the Aluminium spacers are for, i think they are 2cm wide, they go between the spring plate and the reduction box to make the difference up and are drilled with the same bolt pattern as the later RDboxes (hence using later springplates). Then you use HT slightly longer bolts to pull it all tight. It all sits inline just fine. Wink Smile
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that you can use before 67 Type 3 gearbox on barndoor and that axles are fit exactly to holes on the spring plates . Axle width is the same and holes clearance is the same. Only thing you have to modify is nose cone or to make adapter for front mount. Of course there is no reduction boxes and this is actually the way to lower your barndoor at the rear.

this is what I heard and even acquired before 67 type 3 gearbox for this purpose Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here you go deano
This is what the set-up is like this was done to my 54 before i bought it and it looks to have done a lot of miles like this i havent driven it yet so i do know what it works like i will have a look at the nose cone for you and see what is going on there.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
low54
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

veskovici wrote:
I thought that you can use before 67 Type 3 gearbox on barndoor and that axles are fit exactly to holes on the spring plates . Axle width is the same and holes clearance is the same. Only thing you have to modify is nose cone or to make adapter for front mount. Of course there is no reduction boxes and this is actually the way to lower your barndoor at the rear.

this is what I heard and even acquired before 67 type 3 gearbox for this purpose Very Happy

You can do this but i think deano wants to keep his 54 stock height but improve the gearbox Smile
streetwagens
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Deano,

The '53 is running a later ribbed trans with bd reductions mated to it. Runs fine, takes a nosecone adaptor from tim Monkeyspinner to allow a later gearbox to be dropped in. You will need to grind some of the ribs down to allow the box to sit right. Still need to grind a little more on the '53, hence its 'wonky' look on the way to Germany.

If later reductions are needed, then you will require a pair of post '55 bus spring plates, and you will need to make some spacers up as Ben has above. This is due to the later bus having a wider torsion tube compared to barndoor. Handbrake cables will also need messing with, and dont forget, your track will be wider than stock. For this, you will also need to get the front mount and grind the ribs as above. Cool
barnduude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 3:22 pm    Post subject: rear axle Reply with quote

sled wrote:
well, you could either narrow the axles on the 63 transmission (far from cost effective) or you could build offset spring plates to take up the width differed, similar to the offset spring plates used on straight axle lowering kits.

alo, you don't need offset springplates on a staight axle mod.
you just have too take an axle from a '60 to '62 beetle change the nose, weld a mount for the nosecone on the torsion tube and ready.
i done the same whit mine.

grtz to all.
Monkeyspinner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah keep the later gearbox nosecone, a splitcase one won't fit the box anyway. i have the adapters in stock, they make the front end solid mounted but this doesn't seem to cause any extra noise through the body or problems.

you will have to either clearance the strengthening section between the frame horns or the gearbox in that area as Mr Steetwagens says and use a spacer so the springplate meets the reduction boxes as shown above.

what shocks are you running? you will have to make a top mount up for running telescopics...
barnduude
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monkeyspinner wrote:
Yeah keep the later gearbox nosecone, a splitcase one won't fit the box anyway. i have the adapters in stock, they make the front end solid mounted but this doesn't seem to cause any extra noise through the body or problems.

you will have to either clearance the strengthening section between the frame horns or the gearbox in that area as Mr Steetwagens says and use a spacer so the springplate meets the reduction boxes as shown above.

what shocks are you running? you will have to make a top mount up for running telescopics...

alo, i run telescopic shocks,i just drilled a hole in the plate under the rear seat.
and there are no spacers between the springplate and the axle Surprised
i posted some pics in the barndoor gallery.
see ya.i ment write you all.
veskovici
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnduude wrote:
Monkeyspinner wrote:

alo, i run telescopic shocks,i just drilled a hole in the plate under the rear seat.
and there are no spacers between the springplate and the axle Surprised
i posted some pics in the barndoor gallery.
see ya.i ment write you all.

And mounting /nose cone/ adapter pictures? Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing to point out when fitting a later style nosecone to an early bus is that the strengthening rib on the top of the nosecone fouls the top of the 'donut' mount housing. I chose to cut a slot in the mount rather than cut the rib off. I can always weld the slot up if I wanted to go back to stock. I have seen nosecones break that have had the rib cut off!

I had to clearance the gearbox central rib to fit my frame horn support tube:

I believe the later style support tube with the dip in the middle allows the box to fit without doing this, although I have no first hand experience of this.

It would seem the best way to get a late box with reduction boxes into a BD is (as Everett suggested near the top of the page) to put your BD reduction boxes and axles into a late box then everything will line up and you won't need to fit different spring plates.

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Scotty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: rear axle Reply with quote

barnduude wrote:

alo, you don't need offset springplates on a staight axle mod.
you just have too take an axle from a '60 to '62 beetle change the nose, weld a mount for the nosecone on the torsion tube and ready.
i done the same whit mine.

grtz to all.

He doesn't want to fit a straight axle kit, he wants reduction boxes

I'd be curious to know the length of his tip.

http://scottys-stuff.blogspot.com/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
54DoubleDoor
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scotty...

Does anyone know if the axles/tubes are interchangeable... Cause you can't get them outta the BD box with splitting the case.. wondered if there is anything different.

I assumed by keeping the barndoor axles/reduction boxes etc. then the adaptor wont be required either?

Running lever arm shocks too.. which would help in keeping them
Monkeyspinner
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a guy who came down to see me a couple of weeks ago in a 54 panel, he was running a late box with BD reduction boxes, shaft tubes etc, he said it was a bolt straight on conversion but i'm not sure what driveshafts he was running. i assume they were the BD ones but not sure. i have never had a split case box apart, maybe the driveshafts are the same once you actually get them out... i'm sure someone can enlighten us on this?
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus - Barndoor All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: