Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Early bay drum
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:33 am    Post subject: Early bay drum Reply with quote

Hi guys.
I’m replacing the front drums and bearings on my 70 early bay.
The thing is that the bearings dosent seem to fit the empi drums.
The areas where the bearings and seal should rest is very small.

The inner bearing Hole is 58,60mm and the bearing is 59,07mm, same difference with the small bearing and the hole for the seal is way to small.

My question to you is if there are some some specs for a front drum I can stick up my suppliers nose??

Is there a rule of thumb regarding how “big” a bearing you can push into a “hole”?
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drum Reply with quote

What are the numbers off the bearings you are using? What are then numbers on the drums?
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drum Reply with quote

Drums
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen///21287/

Bearings
https://www.paruzzi.com/uk/volkswagen/front-axle-steering/front-suspension-front-brake-drum/21362/
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2021 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drum Reply with quote

Need the numbers off the bearing cups themselves, not the VW or sellers part number.

Do the bearing cones fit the spindles?
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 12:31 am    Post subject: Re: Early bay drum Reply with quote

Wildthings wrote:
Need the numbers off the bearing cups themselves, not the VW or sellers part number.

Do the bearing cones fit the spindles?

Sorry i misunderstood.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

They fit snug to the spindle. I’m sure it’s the drum being the guilty part.
I’m just unsure of what amount of press fit is acceptable.
I might be able to heat up the drum a bit and freeze the bearing, but I guess at some point the bearing will be damaged or will run to “stiff”.
Starbucket
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Early bay drum Reply with quote

Not a press fit but 0.0002" larger than bore should tap in with brass drift. Empi is now from China and they have no quality control so measure bore carefully and return the drums if they are not machined correctly. Look on Rockauto for drums made any where else.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Early bay drum Reply with quote

I would think you would want to aim for a press-interference fit of 0.01-0.015mm. You would likely be looking for an IT7 fit on this chart.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.
kreemoweet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 20, 2021 10:59 am    Post subject: Re: Early bay drum Reply with quote

Wheel bearing ID and OD, and drum bearing seat diameter specs
are to be found at end of Front Axle chapter in the Bentley Type 2
1968-1979 service manual.

Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!
elpres
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 21, 2021 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Early bay drum Reply with quote

kreemoweet wrote:
Wheel bearing ID and OD, and drum bearing seat diameter specs
are to be found at end of Front Axle chapter in the Bentley Type 2
1968-1979 service manual.

Could anyone take a picture of it?? My supplier, tries to “get away” from his responsibility.
sodbuster
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Early bay drum Reply with quote

Just going by your measurements I see a tolerance fit of 0.47mm. that's less than half a millimeter. I think you are good to go. Just use a proper bearing cup installer to drive them in strait. Idea
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Early bay drum Reply with quote

Empi front drums use different seals; part number incoming if i can find it. In the meantime, email your supplier and ask them for the correct seals.

I do not know if they use different bearings, but I assume they do not. Try leaving the drum in an oven and the race in the freezer for a bit, and assembling without lolligagging. Your drum is machined half a millimeter smaller than Bentley spec, so good luck.

While we’re on the topic, it is not China’s fault that the management in Southern California decides to spend more money on shiny advertisements and off-road racing instead of QC, inspections, product testing, and documentation. This is a very American problem, and we should call it what it is. Greed and laziness.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: