Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :)
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
usariemen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

Could please one of you americans send me a few of these $11.30 front fenders?
I´ll pay extra for the shipping costs. No problem.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

DDub
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2016 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

Don't want to get political but I have a problem with the statement that we imported products to get the Germans off our back financially. We would not have been in the war except for the action of at least one leader of Germany. I'm thinking they owed us for saving the free world.
Blue Baron
VW Aficionado

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2016 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

DDub wrote:
Don't want to get political but I have a problem with the statement that we imported products to get the Germans off our back financially. We would not have been in the war except for the action of at least one leader of Germany. I'm thinking they owed us for saving the free world.

We have to put his comments into context with the postwar Marshall Plan. As the Cold War took hold, the U.S. began helping German industry to recover with an infusion of U.S. taxpayer money through the Marshall Plan to help keep the country from falling into bolshevism. By exporting more VWs, Western Germany would cost the American taxpayer less, and start standing on its own, which is exactly what happened. This would form a bulwark against communism.

Prior to the Marshall Plan, the U.S. planned to institute the more punitive Morganthau Plan, which would essentially have reduced Germany to an agrarian society, pushing them back to the middle ages. Communism might have looked good in comparison.

Heinz Nordhoff
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

56reddy wrote:
ineverlistentoFM wrote:
could you hoffman fellas translate my m codes, please?...11a-standard, 189809 ny ny 9-1-50 build shipped 9-6-50...M18 M1 M10...it did NOT come with M20 which i think was the mph speedo-mine has KMs...wondering if mine came with chrome bumpers...as it didn't have any when PO got it in '98.

I own a Hoffman 1950 11a vin 189832 built 9-1-50. Just a few spots down on the assembly line from yours.

I own a Hoffman 1950 11a with vin 189836 built 9-1-50. Just a few spots down on the assembly line from both of your splits. How cool is that!! Cool
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
OGTURBO59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

Does anyone know time period when the last "Hoffman" car was shipped into New York....Also must the birth certificate say "Hoffman Motor" or "VW Distribution, New York"...
Wiggy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

Don't know when it ended, but it should say VW Distribution, NY

My 58 Ghia Vert

My 51 Split 11G

My 57 Deluxe

My 56 Oval
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

OGTURBO59 wrote:
Does anyone know time period when the last "Hoffman" car was shipped into New York....Also must the birth certificate say "Hoffman Motor" or "VW Distribution, New York"...

Max Hoffman's contract as sole importer of the VW ended in December 1953. He had sold 2173 total VW Beetles. Between January 1954 and Feb of 1955 VW's arrived in all sorts of manner. Independently ordered by previous Hoffman contacts, mostly sports car dealers.

Birth certificates will show VW Distribution, New York up to Dec of 1953 and between January 54 and Feb of 55 will show the name of the dealership if that info is available (often it's not). Both my April of '54 car and my May of '54 showed "No Information Available"

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117
OGTURBO59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

52HoffmanSplit wrote:
OGTURBO59 wrote:

Max Hoffman's contract as sole importer of the VW ended in December 1953. He had sold 2173 total VW Beetles. Between January 1954 and Feb of 1955 VW's arrived in all sorts of manner. Independently ordered by previous Hoffman contacts, mostly sports car dealers.

Birth certificates will show VW Distribution, New York up to Dec of 1953 and between January 54 and Feb of 55 will show the name of the dealership if that info is available (often it's not). Both my April of '54 car and my May of '54 showed "No Information Available"

So after Hoffman stopped importing them is it possible for a Birth Certificate to say VW Dist, New York
OGTURBO59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

Also if a 52 birth Certificate say VW Dist New York...is that a Hoffman car for sure???
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 4:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

OGTURBO59 wrote:
Also if a 52 birth Certificate say VW Dist New York...is that a Hoffman car for sure???

If a 52 Birth Certificate says "VW Distr. New York" it is absolutely a Hoffman Car...

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
10/1958 Type 117
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

alright we all now know all 50-dec 52 splits that were imported through NY are Hoffman cars.i really would like to know what the big deal is. is a Hoffman car worth more than say a 50 -52 that was imported through the gray market or brought over by a service man, some seem to think so. a split is a split no matter who the importer was.i see nothing special. please fill me in. thanks
Mr. OGPaint
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:18 am    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

52 split wrote:
alright we all now know all 50-dec 52 splits that were imported through NY are Hoffman cars.i really would like to know what the big deal is. is a Hoffman car worth more than say a 50 -52 that was imported through the gray market or brought over by a service man, some seem to think so. a split is a split no matter who the importer was.i see nothing special. please fill me in. thanks

Hoffman cars do have there small particularities. Examples are the small "made in Germany" badge some had, most hoffmans had dusty conditions aircleaners, and many Hoffman standards seem to have some chrome bits not usually found on standards.

These are all just geeky little nerd details....but we are geeky little nerd people who like this stuff. The main thing having a Hoffman car signifies is that your car was one of the very few real US bound split windows....a very elite club. Is that worth more? Maybe to some, but on the whole it's not worth a large premium....but it sure is cool.
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 12:42 am    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

52 split wrote:

From Earlier in the thread: In 1952 604 were imported into the US, 930 in 1953... in fact between January of 1950 and Dec 1953 Max Hoffman Motor Cars imported just under 2000 VW's.

There were 435,363 total Type 11/15's made in that time period and about 0.4% were sold in the US. That's pretty much why we think they are special.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
10/1958 Type 117
OGTURBO59
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

52HoffmanSplit wrote:
52 split wrote:

From Earlier in the thread: In 1952 604 were imported into the US, 930 in 1953... in fact between January of 1950 and Dec 1953 Max Hoffman Motor Cars imported just under 2000 VW's.

There were 435,363 total Type 11/15's made in that time period and about 0.4% were sold in the US. That's pretty much why we think they are special.

Thanks for all the info...

I wonder how many of the 604 imported in 1952 were Zwitters....
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

well then I guess ill treat my car with a little more respect. Very Happy
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

Here’s my 9/1/50 Hoffman.

50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club

Last edited by FRK on Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Twitter Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

Does anyone knows the meaning of “Trim Strips” on M code 001 found on some of the Hoffman standard’s birth certificate?
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
52 split
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

well my take would be the side moldings where added. you can the holes are mostly even in your pic. the last two factory holes are closer together by the quarter window.
FRK
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

52 split wrote:
well my take would be the side moldings where added. you can the holes are mostly even in your pic. the last two factory holes are closer together by the quarter window.

I agree with you. The holes on my standard are perfectly straight/spaced and the only different thing is the missing two factory holes that are closer towards the rear of the rear quarter panel.
I think the Beetle was born as a regular standard and when Max Hoffman order a Standard he requested M-Code 001 (The Chrome Package). That’s when VW took a complete standard and installed chrome bumpers, hubcaps, door handles, body trim, etc..
Anyone have more information regarding this??
50 11A
49 11
48 11
RVA Car Club
vwcooker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Hoffman Cars - Ok.. and Im looking for Information.. :) Reply with quote

Early evidence is pointing to that I have just acquired a Hoffman Standard Oval Dash Zwitter split. Very OG car. L21 grey with one exterior re-spray. Interior is OG paint. Chrome bumpers, chrome window winders with black knobs, MPH speedo, brown dash knobs, chrome door handles. Has the late 52-early 53 with wingnut air cleaner (see pics) so no Cyclone, but obviously OG. Hub caps were the only parts missing from the car, so not sure if they were chrome but its looking likely based on the other items. Wheels are stamped '52 and have what appears to be Poppy Red under the grey re-spay. Engine number comes back as 12/52 and the VIN is -1-0413679. Odometer reads almost dead on 40,000k and based on a factory air cleaner, I'm willing to bet thats OG miles. Has black wipers...is that still an unsolved mystery?

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: