Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

phone spam
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Off Topic Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: phone spam Reply with quote

Out of curiosity, has anyone else here seen an increase in getting telemarketing calls on their cell or regular phone?
My phone has been relatively clean but over the last two weeks I've been getting more spam calls than ever.

My cell phone is a contact number for my consulting business. I've been getting one particularly annoying type of call, asking whether they can handle my outgoing mail.
I've repeatedly asked them to remove me from their list. The number is on the DNC list and they are spoofing caller ID - something they are not supposed to do as a telemarketer.

To screw with them, on the last call I asked for their contact information. When she asked why I'd need that, I told her that they are using my company resource to do their business. As such, it is perfectly legitimate for me to bill them at whatever rate is charged. I also offered that it may be cheaper to keep me on retainer so they can call me about 5 times a week (something they've been doing).
After some googling, found out the company behind all this is TMG Marketing so sent them a fax, clarifying my intent.
I'm just going to send them ficticious bills against fake invoices from now on - at $120/hr, that will get their attention.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
scott s
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not spam, but my cell phone number is apparently the same number as a collection agency, except theirs has a 1-800 prefix. My area code is 803.
I get an unbelieveable amount of calls from people wanting to know how they can pay me so they won't go to jail. Some of them are calling about debts from 3-7 years ago. Mostly from bounced checks.

When I was growing up, my parents home phone was one digit off from the hospital. My brother and I told a LOT of people that that "No, we can't connect you to room 106, they died this morning".
I'm probably going to hell for that one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Cusser
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(1) I ask for the caller's home number, and tell them I'll call them back while THEY'RE having dinner.....

or

(2) pretend like I'm real hard of hearing ("What? What?), no one wants to deal with that

or

(3) "Give me your name and contact information as phone solicitation is not legal and I want to be sure to get it right when I involve the federal authorities."
1970 VW (owned since 1972) and 1971 VW Convertible (owned since 1976), second owner of each. The '71 now has the 1835 engine, swapped from the '70. Second owner of each. 1988 Mazda B2200 truck, 1998 Frontier, 2014 Yukon, 2004 Frontier King Cab. All manual transmission except for the Yukon. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335294 http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/album_page.php?pic_id=335297
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sending bills trick I've done before.
Great fun if you imagine that sending it to their account payable department steers a bunch of people into a dark alley: they have to run around the company trying to figure out what this bill was for.

An offending local newspaper was sent angry late notes - eventually got an apology out of them. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Foxx
Uncle Meat

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put my cell on the do not call list too.

Sarcasm is the body's natural defense against stupidity. i seem to use a lot.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listening to NPR, I heard about a guy that billed the offending callers, then took them to court to collect.
He did it more with the intention to get them shut down, or at least to change their calling practices.
In the end, he did end up collecting a tidy sum of money to boot.

Our number has been on the DNC list since it's inception, but due to the increase in solicitation calls I have been receiving over the past few months I am beginning to wonder if that expires after a certain period of time.
EdW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foxx4086 JHC wrote:
i put my cell on the do not call list too.

Don't worry, all of your numbers have been on my do not call list. Wink

Quote:
I would call him a dick, but a dick has a head on it

Last edited by bljones on Today 4:20am; edited 1 time in total
coW
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
Listening to NPR, I heard about a guy that billed the offending callers, then took them to court to collect.
He did it more with the intention to get them shut down, or at least to change their calling practices.
In the end, he did end up collecting a tidy sum of money to boot.

Our number has been on the DNC list since it's inception, but due to the increase in solicitation calls I have been receiving over the past few months I am beginning to wonder if that expires after a certain period of time.

My numbers are on there as well - for years now.

I do wonder if that DNC list couldn't be used by some scumbag to get your name and number so they can run a 419 scheme on you:
You just get the list and start dialing for dollars, doing some social engineering.
Spezialist
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aa long as David R. Stewart isnt calling me its all good.
Jason C
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGCoupe wrote:
I am beginning to wonder if that expires after a certain period of time.

Two years. You need to add it to the list again.

64 Bug
KGCoupe
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason C wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

Thanks.
BWD
Samba Mailman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason C wrote:
KGCoupe wrote:

I heard it was five years!
member #2850
1966 Beetle
Samba Goober

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was growing up, my parents home phone was one digit off from the hospital. My brother and I told a LOT of people that that "No, we can't connect you to room 106, they died this morning".
I'm probably going to hell for that one.

I had the same problem with a local rest home/retirement center, number was one digit different than their central number to reach about 3,000 people. Phone would ring every hour on the hour with employees calling in sick, senior cits wanting something fixed at their apartments, and so on. My answering machine would come on and say " Good Sam, this is 'Ed' which department please? Hold on and I'll connect you, music would play, and then I would say they got the wrong number and to leave a message for me. The business office from the place called one time to talk to me about my answering machine, I never called back figuring they could call me and get an earfull about the idiots that work for them calling me at 4am in the morning. A friends wife worked there and said that my answering machine message had really got them all worked up. I later changed the number and told the phone company about the issue and not to reissue the number. It was reassigned in less than a month.
Carlin's "Seven words you can't say on television"????
Kapt-Kubel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I usually get scam calls from someone pretending to run a mexican radio station, that's about it.
beetleboy58
Samba Conquestador

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one for cable tv at 10 pm the other night. Wasn't impressed.
derv
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first 'wave' of numbers that were added to the DNC list are now expiring. If you put your number on the list when it first came out, it is time for a refresh.

Quote:
Mr. Hido: To post your bare ass to virtually all hardened bus enthusiasts casts thick, a slag not easily ground smooth.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dms
Fred G. Sanford

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These assholes ask for me , not so much on my cell , but on the home phone .
What I do is tell them that Im dead , I identify that im the deceased's bother in law , and I am handling his affairs and that the phone will be disconnected within the next 48 hours .
So there is no point that his be on your mailing list any longer .

They remove you off the mailing list and never hear from them again . Laughing
works every time Very Happy
LittleThunder
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I'm at work we get calls from some finance companys with recorded greetings explaining all they can do for you, I immediately dial any number and get switched over to another extension with some salesman. I put it on speaker phone and go about my business, which is helping customers in a retail store. The salesman can hear all of the commotion going on and is going "hello....hello". They hang up quickly but I figure if I can fuck their day up even for a few minutes, it's worth it.
mike yapps
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We get phone soliciters all the time at work. Always the same ones it seems. I've answered sometimes and there's a recording saying that they have an important call, but all there representatives are busy so please hold. Confused
I've been getting messages on my home phone saying that my warranty on my car is almost up and to call and get it extended. The newest vehicle I own is 26 years old. Maybe I call and see if they'll extend my warranty on my 66 Bug Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
typesoneandtwo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a phone spam call from Canada last night. This lady was talking all "eh, ya know" She was doing a survey concerning television. I informed her that I have not watched any television in over 8 years, no cable, no dish, nothing. She continued on in this whiny unintelligable monologue until I spoke up. "I'm gonna have to end this because I cannot understand what you are saying." ya know, ya hosers!
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: