Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Starter Swap ?
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Starter Swap ? Reply with quote

The starter drive on my 83 1/2 M/T is starting to make noise during the over run at start up. The cost of a new Bosch starter drive from my local supplier is very close to the same as for a rebuilt starter, so it seems like it might be a better deal to go with the rebuilt. My question is, if I buy the larger starter for a 91 M/T Vanagon instead of the 83 1/2 will there be any negatives? Will everything fit normally and is the 83 1/2 wiring up to the amp draw of the 91 starter?

As a jury rigger at heart is there anyway to lube the old starter drive? It seems to work fine, its just gotten noisy on overrun.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to NAPA and buy their starter with the lifetime warrantee.

You'll be glad you spent the cpoule of extra bucks.

It's covered forever, and any NAPA store, anywhere.

You can try and lube that starter drive till the cows come home--
It's worn out--it's done.

There is no benifit to buying a 91 starter.
It has no more windings than the one you have.

If you want more push from the stock starter configuration, take it to a idependant starter rebuilder and tell him you want a custom built big amperage starter built .

You'll have to also buy and fit a bigger battery into your Van to turn it, and it won't have the same warranty the plain old stock NAPA reman unit will.

Then might as well add 00 cables from that magumbo battery to that
big amp starter you just had made.
You'll need it to carry the correct amperage.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terry Kay wrote:
Go to NAPA and buy their starter with the lifetime warrantee.

According to my local NAPA they only offer the lifetime warranty on new starter motors, yet they do not offer a new starter for a Vanagon, just rebuilds.

Quote:
There is no benifit to buying a 91 starter. It has no more windings than the one you have.

All the sources I checked show that the later Vanagon use a 1 HP starter while the earlier ones use a 3/4 HP starter. It doesn't sounds like there is any problem with switching them though.

http://www.van-cafe.com/vanagon_parts.jsp?ct=858020308&pa=pct&pct=92754746
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NAPA has two different starter's available.
A reman, and a rebuilt.
The reman has a 30 day guarantee, the rebuilt has a lifetime.

There is a price difference for a starter that all of the internals have been replaced vs just the brushes & the solinoid.

I thought you wanted to spin the engine over--
A quarter horse isn't going to give you anything more measurable.

And do beware of just a reman starter.
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You seem to be getting very different info from your NAPA than I get from mine. I guess it could be that they use different suppliers in different parts of the country. I was quoted 2, 3, and 5 year warranties for different levels of rebuild or remanufacture, and a lifetime warrenty only for a new one which they did not list.

Add a quarter horse to 3/4Hp and that is a 33% increase, since the NAPA book shows the amp draw as 40% higher, I would think that pretty noticeable. The bigger one is only $10 more if they will take my earlier one as a core, making it sound like a deal.
Terry Kay
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Differet local supplier's dictate different prices & availability of parts.

My NAPA has two selections of starter's, alternator's reman or rebuilt--30 day or lifetime.

Lifetime I know comes with all new windings---

For 10 bucks yea--I'd buy the little bit larger output starter, but how is your battery & old wiring going to handle 40% more amps?

For close to the price your might be paying for that reman you mght be able to find a local rebuilder
to do it right---and have it put out as amny amps as she can handle.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: