Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

gas tank 70 westy
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: gas tank 70 westy Reply with quote

Is it really neccessary to acid-wash the gas tank & treat it w/that por product? I have read some articles & forums on how important this process is as to insuring no future problems down the road. I've seen my gas tank on the outside. It looks better than average I guess. Question is, does the inside of a gas tank look worse than the outside of one? For safety, I'm definately replacing the fuel line. After I scrubbed the 1/2" of grease & muck of the bottom of mine, it looked factory. I wish I could figure out how to post a pic other than my avatar. I probably need to be a paying member, I don't know... Any insight on this?
cc79westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is your tank out at the moment? If it is just shine a flashlight into the fill hole of the sending unit hole. After 37 years you probably do have some rust/junk laying in there. If you do the POr15 deal you really do have to follow the instructions to the letter. Prepping the tank beforehand is essential for this stuff to work properly. I had mine done this summer and I'm quite confident that I'l have no issues with it for another 20 something years. Expensive stuff but effective.
cc79westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't have any fuel related issues (bucking,cutting out) then at least get new fuel lines and fuel filter. Don't let the bus sit for long periods of time and if your in a cold climate, put a bottle of dry gas in and try to keep the tank pretty full (yeah it's tough with the gas prices these days). Just some basic advice. Good Luck with it!
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it hasn't been sitting and the filters are coming up clean don't worry about it. With a 70 you can sort of see into the tank through the filler, try to get a glimpse of clean, bare steel, if all you see is brown and black start worrying. Sometimes a little round inspection mirror down into the neck a bit helps.

As for photo posting you don't have to be a member, just read this carefully.
http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per above instructions, if you use the POR product or similar, follow the instructions to the letter. If not, you could end up worse off, having the coating peel off like chicken skin & clog your tank outlet! Laughing
I was fully prepared to do this on removal of my 33+ year old tank, only to find it was rust and gunk free inside. A few rinses w/ residue-free solvent & compressed air and it went back in.
The only treatment it needed was the outside in POR 15, (mild spot rust on the outside of the tank).
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: gas tank 70 westy Reply with quote

just trying a pic...[img]http://a930.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/51/l_ecee7a0de[/img][/img][/code][/youtube][/url]
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: gas tank 70 westy Reply with quote

I give up Mad
cc79westie
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: Pictures.. Reply with quote

Just remember you gotta have a picture somewhere's on the internet.. Confused
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: