Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! Reply with quote

curtp07 wrote:
I'm horrified by that video. And to think I just spent days replacing every fuel line, vacuum line and a completely new FI harness with a fuse circuit and I'm STILL not satisfied.

Someone needs to find that poor bus and steal it NOW!

They need to tow it if they are going to steal it. It would be suicidal to just drive off with it. Crying or Very sad
curtp07
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2016 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! Reply with quote

Tow..good point! Can't believe they drove the thing....overheated...yea.
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

Sadness on the roadside last nite. Drove by it this morning east of Cle Elum, WA. Crying or Very sad

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

Bummer - wonder who it was - Its not yours is it? You're a Vanagon guy?

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Sodo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

Nope, just drove by it, moment of silence, took pics.

'90 Westy EJ25, 2Peloquins, 3knobs, pressure-oiled GT mainshaft, filtered, cooled gearbox
'87 Tintop w 47k 53k, '12 SmallCar EJ25, cooled filtered gearbox
....KTMs, GasGas, SPOT mtb
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

Let's hope they got out with their wetsuits unburned.
notchboy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:

Is there a sweet surf spot in Cle Elum Im unaware of Laughing

OK, this thread is over. You win.

Jason "notchboy" Weigel
1964 1500 S
1964 T34 S Convertible
1977 Westfalia Camper pop-top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
chabanais
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

timvw7476 wrote:

Sad

This is sad any way you slice it.

Thanks for posting the photos as a reminder.
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

Man, sure a lot of type 4 powered buses going up in flames. Simply scary stuff. Super bummer this happened. I may have to crack my wallet for a blaze cut on my type 1 just because...

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
cmonSTART
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

Wow, the whole fan housing disappeared.. those are Magnesium, right?
dabble
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

Bummer. Looks like they didn't have a fire extinguisher to stop it from taking the whole bus down. Rolling Eyes

Crying or Very sad
Wildthings
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

Bailing wire and plumber's tape. Just the things I always look for when looking to find a well maintained ACVW.
timvw7476
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

Around Washington, you get several years from fuel lines till they become
bonafide fire hazards.
It's rather amusing, (until it's not) - fuel reformulations seem to be the one
thing that can kill these beasts.
My wetsuit comment was tribute to the Bus Bears, maybe they can re-make
that sequence to include swapping your fuel lines every 3-7 years, or risk bursting into flames at any moment.
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

I purchased fuel lines from Bus Depot, this stuff: https://www.busdepot.com/N0202811

Can I use this to replace the metal line beneath my bus / outside of the engine compartment.

I'm specifically speaking of the long piece of metal tubing that more or less runs from the tank to the filter & fuel pump. Mine is quite rusty. Any problem with using that hose / fuel line from Bus Depot under there as well?
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

clicknathan wrote:
I purchased fuel lines from Bus Depot, this stuff: https://www.busdepot.com/N0202811

Can I use this to replace the metal line beneath my bus / outside of the engine compartment.

I'm specifically speaking of the long piece of metal tubing that more or less runs from the tank to the filter & fuel pump. Mine is quite rusty. Any problem with using that hose / fuel line from Bus Depot under there as well?

You talking of the evaporative line/s?
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
airschooled
Air-Schooled

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

udidwht wrote:
clicknathan wrote:

I think he means the suction line from the tank to the FI filter, then the pressurized line from the pump to the firewall/bulkhead passthrough. I've seen some VW assemblies that used metal hose there, and some where the owner used all rubber.

If the line is pressure and ethanol rated, (Gates Barricade is 225psi rated,) the metal fittings are flared & clamped, and the rubber hose is insulated from chafing and absolutely not allowed to rub on anything sharp (like a tin passthrough without a grommet) I suppose you could use it. But I don't know about the quality of the line.

Robbie
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
udidwht
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:
udidwht wrote:
clicknathan wrote:

I think he means the suction line from the tank to the FI filter, then the pressurized line from the pump to the firewall/bulkhead passthrough. I've seen some VW assemblies that used metal hose there, and some where the owner used all rubber.

If the line is pressure and ethanol rated, (Gates Barricade is 225psi rated,) the metal fittings are flared & clamped, and the rubber hose is insulated from chafing and absolutely not allowed to rub on anything sharp (like a tin passthrough without a grommet) I suppose you could use it. But I don't know about the quality of the line.

Robbie

A great mod for the firewall is to use lamp hardware (brass) an create a pass thru in the firewall for the hose to pass thru.
71mm Stroke
73 Web Cam w/Web solids
Dual 40mm IDF Webers - LM-2 - 47.5 idles/125 mains/190 air corr./F11 tubes/28mm Vents - Float height 10.45mm/Drop 32mm
Bosch SVDA w/Pertronix module (7.5 initial 28 total @ 3400rpm)
Bosch W8CC plugs
Pertronix Flamethrower 40K coil
S&S 4-1 w/Walker QP 17862
3 rib 002 Trans
185R14 Hankook tires
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

asiab3 wrote:

Thank you. My set up is:

1. Tank has metal "hose" coming out
2. Rubber hosing goes from that to this piece of metal tubing, which more or less goes straight to the fuel filter, which is located near my rear driver's side wheel (I've heard reports this is sometimes up near the front in other models)
3. From the piece of metal tubing then rubber continues the rest of the way, to the filter, filter to pump, pump through firewall to another metal tube inside, to more rubber.

I've also got a bunch of protective plastic sleeve for where it goes through the firewall and other areas it might rub.

Normally VWs have rubber fuel lines the whole way?
aerosurfer
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:04 am    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

clicknathan wrote:
asiab3 wrote:

Thank you. My set up is:

1. Tank has metal "hose" coming out
2. Rubber hosing goes from that to this piece of metal tubing, which more or less goes straight to the fuel filter, which is located near my rear driver's side wheel (I've heard reports this is sometimes up near the front in other models)
3. From the piece of metal tubing then rubber continues the rest of the way, to the filter, filter to pump, pump through firewall to another metal tube inside, to more rubber.

I've also got a bunch of protective plastic sleeve for where it goes through the firewall and other areas it might rub.

Normally VWs have rubber fuel lines the whole way?

All your questions with schematics can be found here:

http://ratwell.com/technical/FuelHoses.html

Click on the different years just below the top section for the differences in fuel hose schematics

77 Westy 2.0L Rockin and Rolling Resto!

72 Sportsmobile (sold)
79 Tran$porter... Parts car money machine (gone)
clicknathan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Up in smoke... Bus fires... don't let it happen to you! FAQ Reply with quote

aerosurfer wrote:
Click on the different years just below the top section for the differences in fuel hose schematics

I had seen that, but was curious as it doesn't show several things, such as the cold start valve, Aux Air Regulator, ... That Ratwell page is quite useful, though.

More than that, though, it doesn't mention if the metal pipe / tubing is okay to replace with rubber.

I have everything to replace basically the entire FI system short of the injectors themselves & the cold start valve, and given the corrosion / rust on my "tank line" as the Ratwell site calls it, I thought replacing it might be the way to go while I'm already getting gas inevitably in my eyeballs anyway.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 30, 31, 32, 33  Next
Jump to:
Page 31 of 33

Jump to: