Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

1776 v/s 1835
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jerry
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: 1776 v/s 1835 Reply with quote

I'm planning to use my bus frequently, maybe twice a month, to go camping w/my famly. 9 months ago, I bought a 1835 engine from JCS in Cali. 2 weeks ago, when I finally got my bus back, I uncrated the turnkey motor & found out it didn't have the bus case. So, I shipped it back to them for the proper turnkey motor. The shop manager I talked to talked me into a 1776 w/ a single progressive webber in lieu of 1835 w/ dual solexes. Have I made a good choice? I'm not much on syncing carbs. Do you guys think a 1776 is more durable?
Glenn Premium Member
Mr. 010

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1776 is a solid combo, but ditch the Weber progressive.

And dual carbs, once setup correctly, don't need more maint than a single carb.

Member #1009

#BlueSquare
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
tom62
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup the 1776 is the way to go !
regis101
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has been said the 92 cylinders are too thin for a hard working bus engine.

The 1776 will be just fine. You can always put duals on it later.

You should consider the 1776 as the largest using stock heater boxes. A header will help expel unwanted heat and free up a few ponies.

Happy Trails
Jody '71
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry,
I think JCS's mistake was to your benefit. If they couldn't even get the case right, you can bet they but on thin walled 92's, not what you want for a Bus. As far as the Weber Progressive goes, I keep reading that they are problematic at best. You will be better off with the 1776. Rob and Dave's Aircooled website has a topic on properly jetting the Solex Pict 34-3 carb for use with the 1776. However, they don't take into consideration differences in altitude. The 34 may be a more suitable option, but I am unaware of the results of their re-jetting for the 1776. You might consider using the original oil bath air filter for the Solex 34 if you go that route, but I may be wrong on that.
Ruptured Tortoise
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran an 1835 in my Westy for years and never had problems with the cylinders. When I did have a problem it was the crank case cracking from milling it out so much to take the aluminum chevy connecting rods in the bottom end. I'm now rebuilding the 1835 with an aluminum case so I can weld more material over the thin areas to give it more strength. I'm still using the same cylinders and pistons as befor.

The 1776 should work fine but I agree that you should run dual carburators.

66 Beetle
67 Karmann Ghia
68 Bay Window Camper
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: