Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

VDO Placement?
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Nigel, I can't check my engine at the momet as I have removd it & sent it for re-buiing up o Laurie Pettitt.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:25 am    Post subject: VDO Placement? Reply with quote

nvwainfo wrote:
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

mine uses the stock sender for the idiot light, with a couple of minor alterations via some brake fittings from the local auto parts store, the oil pressure is right on the money, oil temp is going to be a little on the low side on the gauge, but is a good ball park.

sender i am using for temp came with the gauge, the oil pressure is aftermarket, as the porsche 914 one seemed to have a higher minimum pressure then stock vw

It would be interesting to determine, just how much lower the indicated temperature is, below that of the true oil temperature. The oil in that adapter is virtually static, so it would respond extremely slowly, to any change in the temperature of the oil being circulated.

That oil-temperature, gauge-sender, with 6·3 mm (i.e. ¼-inch) diameter button terminal, looks similar to two VDO 50~150ºC, oli-temperature, gauge-senders:

VDO part No. 323.801.009.003 – M10 x 1·0 taper thread

VDO part No. 323.801.010.001 – M10 x 1·0 parallel thread

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine
Volkswagen Type 2 Owners' Club (Great Britain)

http://www.vwt2oc.net
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are trying to come up with even a remotely accurate oil temperature, do not put it there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Desertbusman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Installing the sender there is probably giving you a more accurate reading of the combined engine case and engine compartment temperatures than it is of the oil.
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, would i rather have it in the case? yes.

Is it better then nothing? yes.

Does it give me a ballpark figure? yes

If somebody has a better way to do it that does not involve pulling the engine and having a machine shop tap the case, or involves sometype of a bolt on that would eliminate the need for machine shop work.

It is in a 2.0 litre type-4 motor in a 73.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.germansupply.com/home/customer/product.php?productid=16278&cat=&page=2

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Randy in Maine
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Just put the OT sending unit in the taco plate on the underside. You need to dirill a hole in the taco plate and "JB weld" a nut on the inside or braze a 1/8 NPT nipple on the inside and thread the sender up through the hole.

Better than using the OP sender hole.

Looks something like this (from Whip618)....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Substitute GRP dashboard, for 1968~79 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

Rivierra Roof Company, Old School GRP Dashboard for 1968~79 VW Type 2, shown installed in a 1973~74 VW Type 2:

http://www.riveria-roof-company.co.uk/dashboard_oldschool.html

Note the enlarged vertical section at the bottom, where the dashboard switches and ashtray would fit. It's large enough to accommodate a DIN-E radio, radio/cassette player or radio/CD player, so leaves lots of space on the main part of the dashboard, to fit gauges, warning-light clusters and other items.

http://www.riveria-roof-company.co.uk/dashboard_unit1.html

Customisable Dashboard £145

Available in white primer finish, the dashboard unit allows you to
cut holes to your own configuration for all your dials, clocks and switches etc.

Here's a contact telephone number, for enquiries and pricing, found in the GRP bumper's section and order section:

Max Hanson, Riviera Roof Company

e-mail: [email protected]

Tel (from within UK): 01474 359 924

Tel. (from outside UK) +44 1474 359 924

Nigel A. Skeet

Independent tutor (semi-retired) of mathematics, physics, technology & engineering for secondary, tertiary, further & higher education.

Much modified, RHD 1973 VW "1600" Type 2 Westfalia Continental campervan, with the World's only decent, cross-over-arm, SWF pantograph rear-window wiper

Onetime member, plus former Technical Editor & Editor of Transporter Talk magazine

Last edited by NASkeet on Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
JMazier
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Substitute GRP dashboard, for 1968~79 VW Type 2 Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Rivierra Roof Company, Old School GRP Dashboard for 1968~79 VW Type 2, shown installed in a 1973~74 VW Type 2:

http://www.riveria-roof-company.co.uk/dashboard_oldschool.html

Note the enlarged vertical section at the bottom, where the dashboard switches and ashtray would fit. It's large enough to accommodate a DIN-E radio, radio/cassette player or radio/CD player, so leaves lots of space on the main part of the dashboard, to fit gauges, warning-light clusters and other items.

Nigel,

That is a beautiful thing! I really like that look! The web site however leaves something to be desired as I could not find any pricing or contact information... I will do some Google searches.

Found it! http://www.riveria-roof-company.co.uk/

Thanks for posting it!

Jérôme

’79 Cali Westy 2.0 F.I.
'74 Honda CB 350 Four
'78 Honda CB 750 K
'12 Golf GTI
'11 Ural Patrol
CHARLES JETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: 1971 Bus Pictures Reply with quote

Here is my 1971 dash.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Mark
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Pictures Reply with quote

CHARLES JETT wrote:
Here is my 1971 dash.

That's a clean job, can you tell us more about these gauges & indicators and their functions?
Bleyseng
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvwainfo wrote:
breadloafdeluxe wrote:
CHECK OUT PHOTOS OF MY 71 W 914 GUAGES AND VDOs UNDER THE RADIO IN THE GALLERY UNDER BREADLOAFDELUXE

available for the 914 combo gauge is the triple combo which includes the gas gauge, oil pressure and oil temp using 911 gauge pods.
87 Syncro Westy Titan Red 2.1L 2 knob 100k miles
chrisradioman
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1971 Bus Pictures Reply with quote

CHARLES JETT wrote:
Here is my 1971 dash.

Well nice M8 really looks good. Very Happy
CHARLES JETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: 71 bus dash Reply with quote

Mark, The gauges are all stock VDO and a Audiovox Cruise Control. The gauge panel is aluminum powdercoated semi-gloss black. The dash was sandblasted and powdercoated Black Krinckle finish. The two green lites are for left and right blinkers. The blue lite is for high beam and the red ones oil pressure and alt. After two years and a lot of inspiration from you guys on Samba, I am almost through.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Gallery Classifieds Feedback
dwill49965
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Charles, that looks really nice and professional.

Meyer wrote:
Lastly, you just referred to US citizens as 'Americans'. Exactly what kind of Canadian are you? From what continent?
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: VDO Placement? Reply with quote

Please note that I have updated my earlier post about the Riviera Roof Company's 1968~79 VW Type 2, "Customisable" and "Old School" GRP dashboards, including a contact telephone number and e-mail address.

I also like the appearance of your replacement, aluminium instrument panel, but I'm surprised that it accommodates so few gauges!

Is the panel flat, with a gap behind it, rather than curved to follow the profile of the steel dashboard.

Instead of using individual warning lights, I would be inclined to use a customisable, Lucas Industries, 60 mm diameter, 8-segment warning-light cluster, as illustrated in one of my posts, in the general-purpose parts & accessories section, of The Samba forum.

The handbrake's triangular trim panel looks neat, which regretably, all the British specification, 1968~79 VW Type 2s seem to lack, my own included! I would like to obtain one, along with the handbrake warning-light switch and associated parts, but I haven't seen any advertised yet.

I notice that one possible upgrade, you have yet to implement, is the substitution of the matched pair, of steering-column mounted, 1973~74 VW Type 2, stalk switches, for windscreen wiper & washer, plus turn-signals, headlamp dip & flasher. You could then retain your existing dashboard mounted windscreen wiper & washer switch, for a rear-window wiper & washer system.

CHARLES JETT wrote:
Here is my 1971 dash.

Nigel A. Skeet

Last edited by NASkeet on Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
CHARLES JETT
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NASkeet, While the alum panel is flat, the edges are folded back 3/8 " and each end is radius to fit the dash . There is no gap. I will change the warning lites to something not so plain later, after two years, I just want to drive it. dwill49965, it means a lot that you guys like the results of a lot of work and it ain't bad for a southern boy. NASkeet, I might have a handbrake trim piece if you need it. Thanks for the kind comments guys.
NASkeet
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: VDO Placement? – 8-segment warning-light cluster Reply with quote

NASkeet wrote:
Instead of using individual warning lights, I would be inclined to use a customisable, Lucas Industries, 60 mm diameter, 8-segment warning-light cluster, as illustrated in one of my posts, in the general-purpose parts & accessories section, of The Samba forum.

Here is the link to my posts about Lucas Industries, 60 mm diameter, 8-segment warning-light cluster:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2731656#2731656

Nigel A. Skeet

theizzardking
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Placement? Reply with quote

[quote="nvwainfo"]
NASkeet wrote:
nvwainfo wrote:
breadloafdeluxe wrote:
CHECK OUT PHOTOS OF MY 71 W 914 GUAGES AND VDOs UNDER THE RADIO IN THE GALLERY UNDER BREADLOAFDELUXE

hey what normally sits in the gauge spot on the far right? mine has some wierd blank thing with strange lines radiating from the center, i don`t know what it does and i fear the day it does do somthing! please tell me! thanks!
Tri-Bus
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: VDO Placement? Reply with quote

[quote="theizzardking"]
nvwainfo wrote:
NASkeet wrote:
nvwainfo wrote:
breadloafdeluxe wrote:

hey what normally sits in the gauge spot on the far right? mine has some wierd blank thing with strange lines radiating from the center, i don`t know what it does and i fear the day it does do somthing! please tell me! thanks!

optional clock

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: