Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Using a multimeter on headlights.
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
HerNameIsRita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:12 pm    Post subject: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

I went out and bought a multimeter to test for voltage drop on my headlights, only to realize I don't even know what I'm doing.

Checking the battery was pretty easy. I set the meter to 20 and the battery read 12.34v But how do I go from the battery to the headlights? The longest lead extension I could find is 10ft which isn't long enough. Should I buy basic 12v wire and some alligator clamps to extend the length? And what should the multimeter read once I connect the red lead from the battery to the connector?

Thank you VW community for your help!!!
skills@eurocarsplus
Samba Peckerhead

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

read this

http://www.fme-cat.com/Docs/1519.pdf

my reason for switching to subaru is my german car was turning chinese so i said fuck it and went japanese.......
[email protected] wrote:
most VW enthusiasts are stuck in 80's price land.

Jake Raby wrote:
Thanks for the correction. I used to be a nice guy, then I ruined it by exposing myself to the public.

Brian wrote:
Also the fact that people are agreeing with Skills, it's a turn of events for samba history
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

If you are trying to determine the Voltage drop across the light. Measure it at the light.
Replace 'switch' with 'light'
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Tcash
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

Hi. The voltage drop is the easiest test to perform and is the gold standard in automotive diagnostic's, in this area.
You will need a DVOM, which it seems you have and a long enough lead, with basic alligator clips, to go from the battery up past the front bumper a bit.
For your headlight circuit you will be performing 6 basic tests. 4 tests for the positive circuits and 2 tests for the negative circuits.
The 6 tests are performed with the headlights on, possibly with engine idling, if you wish.
Remove the headlight trim rings and remove the headlights to access the electrical plug in its rear.
You will connect your long test lead to the battery positive for the first 4 tests.
The DVOM, on its DC voltage selection, at a voltage scale above battery voltage, is good. attach the DVOM positive to your test lead.
Test 1- Attach the negative wire from DVOM to the back of the left headlight low beam terminal, yellow wire, and read/document the DVOM reading.
Test2- Attach the negative wire from the DVOM to the back of the right headlight low beam terminal, yellow wire, and read/document the DVOM reading.
Switch headlights to high beams.
Test 3- Attach the negative wire from the DVOM to the back of the right headlight high beam terminal, white wire, and read/document the DVOM reading.
Test 4- Attach the negative wire from the DVOM to the back of the left high beam terminal, white wire, and read/document the DVOM reading.

Now attach the wire from the battery positive terminal from the positive to the negative terminal.
Test 5- Attach the negative wire from the DVOM to the back of the left headlight ground terminal, brown wire, and read/document the reading.
Test6- Attach the negative wire from the DVOM to the back of the right headlight ground terminal, brown wire, and read/document the reading.

Turn off engine/lights, etc and turn off DVOM.
You should now have 6 voltage readings. Obviously, the lower the better. I have seen 2v plus on this test the owner was concerned his H4 headlights weren't bright.
Hope this helps, Bill.
sestino
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

Here is how I measured the volts at the headlamp socket with the motor off:

And with the motor on:

These voltages are when I am using a plug and play headlight relay loom that I purchased off of Ebay. The voltage increased by about 1 volt as compared to the voltage through the original sockets. The power from the new loom is from an auxiliary fuse box that is fed from the Starter post with 10 gauge wire.

[/img]
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

HerNameIsRita wrote:
I went out and bought a multimeter to test for voltage drop on my headlights, only to realize I don't even know what I'm doing.

Checking the battery was pretty easy. I set the meter to 20 and the battery read 12.34v But how do I go from the battery to the headlights? The longest lead extension I could find is 10ft which isn't long enough. Should I buy basic 12v wire and some alligator clamps to extend the length? And what should the multimeter read once I connect the red lead from the battery to the connector?

Most DVM's use 'banana plugs' to connect test leads to the meter. These are commonly available from electronic supply houses, Fry's and Radio Shack (if you still have one), in various colors (black and red being the most common). I've made up all kinds of test leads using banana plugs for the meter end and various connectors (alligator clips, 1/4" spade terminals, battery clips, cigarette lighter plugs, etc. - in short, any type of connector that may be useful), in whatever wire length needed. If you're really into it, you can buy real test lead wire. It's super flexible and durable. After a while, you get a wall rack / tool box full of these.

The appropriate test lead makes a test job SO MUCH EASIER...
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HerNameIsRita
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

sestino wrote:

[/img]

Wow, that's pretty easy. I don't know why I couldn't find any info on that.

skills@eurocarsplus wrote:
read this

http://www.fme-cat.com/Docs/1519.pdf
Thanks for the link!
Tcash
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

Just to clarify.
Voltage drop and No Load Voltage readings. Are two different measurements.
Voltage drop would be like the energy that the light is burning.
No load Voltage is performing no work so other than the resistance in the wire, you should see close to battery voltage.
Make sense?
Tcash
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

sestino wrote:

And with the motor on:

These voltages are when I am using a plug and play headlight relay loom that I purchased off of Ebay. The voltage increased by about 1 volt as compared to the voltage through the original sockets. The power from the new loom is from an auxiliary fuse box that is fed from the Starter post with 10 gauge wire.

[/img]

With your method, if both the positive wire AND the ground wire both had only one strand of wire you would still see the same voltage readings.
This is why the voltage drop/loss test needs to be performed, under a load, such as with the lights hooked up and operating.
Once you have performed the test and written down the 6 voltage readings can you, or we, address the concern.
Hope this helps, Bill.
telford dorr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

Expanded explanation: the input impedance of a meter (what the outside world sees when you connect a meter to something) is somewhere around 10 megohms (10,000,000 ohms). Thus, any typical resistance you might put in series with the meter (e.g. poor probe contact, upstream switch resistance, poor fuse contact, etc.) is generally insignificant.

For example, suppose you have 1,000 ohms in series with the meter probe. This will form a voltage divider with the meter input impedance:

Vmeter = Vsource x (10,000,000 / (1,000 + 10,000,000))

Vmeter = Vsouece x (10,000,000 / 10,001,000)

Vmeter = Vsource x 0.99990

Thus, your reading will be low by 0.01%

In short, the meter presents no load to the system being measured. In the example above, without the bulb in place, you should read the same voltage as at the switch. With the bulb in place, your measurement will include all switch, relay, and wiring losses.
When you're dead, you don't know you're dead. The pain is only felt by others.
Same thing happens when you're stupid. - Philippe Geluck
More VW electrical at http://telforddorr.com/ (available 9am to 9pm PST)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
SGKent Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

rockerarm - resistance won't show up in any meaningful way with that meter at no load. Measure the voltage with the bulbs plugged in. That will tell you what the resistance is between the battery -> ignition switch -> headlight switch -> the headlights -> and back to ground then to the battery again.

It is well worth your while to ask Telford lots of questions if you would like to learn about using your meter. There are very few mechanics who know how to use one to locate problems. Every year we have many people here whose solution to electrical issues might be asking about replacing a wiring harness, when in fact their multi-meter might reveal that only one connection is corroded.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
rockerarm
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Using a multimeter on headlights. Reply with quote

Steve, Hi. What meter? That's not my meter. I have spent time here explaining the voltage drop/loss test by using the easily available DVOM's. It was I that explained the 6 separate tests needed to determine if a voltage drop/loss exists in the OP's initial question,. I fully recognize and stated the tests needed to be performed with the lights on, or with any circuit the component being tested needed to be on. The DVOM is in parallel on the light circuit.

It's kinda like going to the doctor and stating "I'm outa breath, cant walk up stairs", etc. He does the basics, such as blood pressure and listening to ones chest, but makes a referral for a treadmill test with all the wires hooked up. The system will now test the patient under a load, or while operating, to diagnose the concern.

The voltage checks at the headlight plug is a failed method! The only value for that is if one headlight was not lit.

Maybe I'm not explaining myself correctly and/or in an understanding method. Please respond.
Hope this helps, Bill.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: