Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Engine main bearing set for line bored case
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:24 am    Post subject: Engine main bearing set for line bored case Reply with quote

Tip: here a set of main bearings for 0.50 mm over size line bored engine case and for STD crank.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=528977
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
thom
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good deal; I should buy them just to have on hand!

A while back, I needed 1st-over bearings for my ghia's engine. I posted a wanted ad, and a helpful gent replied: he wanted $350 for the engine bearings, and would cut me a deal of $150 for a set of rod bearings.
1957 23-Window Deluxe
1957 Mercedes Westfalia single cab
1963 Unimog 404
1965 E-Type
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
VWwerks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They look like standard bearings to me?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Look at the label, + Ø 0.5 that means for 0.50 mm over size bored case. I have similar set and I have measured it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
HeSa
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thom wrote:
Good deal; I should buy them just to have on hand!

A while back, I needed 1st-over bearings for my ghia's engine. I posted a wanted ad, and a helpful gent replied: he wanted $350 for the engine bearings, and would cut me a deal of $150 for a set of rod bearings.

All possible sizes of 25/30bhp main bearings have been available from cip1 for a while now for 69,95USD.
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeSa wrote:

All possible sizes of 25/30bhp main bearings have been available from cip1 for a while now for 69,95USD.

Are they old German made or some others?
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:

Look at the label, + Ø 0.5 that means for 0.50 mm over size bored case. I have similar set and I have measured it.

Beg to differ... This means... STD Case and .020 Crank (0.50)... these aren't align bore bearings.......

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
7/1968 Type 265 Double Cab
10/1958 Type 117

Last edited by 52HoffmanSplit on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bump

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
10/1958 Type 117

Last edited by 52HoffmanSplit on Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:31 am; edited 1 time in total
commercial air
Samba Member

Location: Driving in the crumple zone...Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HeSa wrote:

This is a misconception. CIP does not carry first cut align bore bearings(.25). The list starts at 2nd cut(.50) and they only offer oversized thrust in .50/.50 spec bearings. It is nice that some are now available though.

Chris
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VW made only +0.50 mm case align bore bearings (based on Spare part catalogs).

I have measured the similar Glyco set, and it has outer dia 60.50 mm.
commercial air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

virtanen wrote:
VW made only +0.50 mm case align bore bearings (based on Spare part catalogs).

I have measured the similar Glyco set, and it has outer dia 60.50 mm.

Here is a set of Repco bearings, that I have, that are +.25mm/-.25mm with oversized thrust.

Thanks for the tip on the bearings. Thom is right again. They would be good to have on hand.

Chris
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject: .010 bearings Reply with quote

Its true that VW didnt make .010 or .25mm align bore bearings but as you can see Repco did. The only reason that they did is that 2 or 3 of the 4 bearings in the set were already in production as std size bearings for early Porsche. I dont know of any other manufacturer that made .010 align bore bearings. If I remember right the repcos were made in Australia. I worked at a Repco WD for 13 years.The Glyco box pictured above is definitely Standard crank, .020 case........which is the normal first cut. The Pre A and early A porsche guys covet the .010 [std for them]and .020 oversize. 6 months ago a fair price on a set of 36hp align bore bearings would be between 120 and 150.00 dollars....more for larger oversizes. I was just able to save a 25 hp with a .040 case , .080 thrust set of bearings that I have been saving for years. I stashed all of the sets in the 80s when no one cared, in fact my employer of the time gave me his entire stock. These larger sizes are the ones to look for as most 36ers [if they need it at all] need at least an .020 align bore and a slight thrust cut. Severely worn 36hp and pre a motors can be saved with them. I custom cut the thrust bearing for just the amount it takes to clean the case up allowing for another cut or 2 in another 50 years.........
73 Thing original
57 MGA 1500 Coupe
71 K20 Suburban 3dr
commercial air
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for that information. Because I've had Repco .25 align bore bearings in the past, I've always wondered why I hadn't seen any from other makers. I guess that clears it up.

Chris
52HoffmanSplit
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Re: .010 bearings Reply with quote

volksworker wrote:
Its true that VW didnt make .010 or .25mm align bore bearings but as you can see Repco did. The only reason that they did is that 2 or 3 of the 4 bearings in the set were already in production as std size bearings for early Porsche. I dont know of any other manufacturer that made .010 align bore bearings. If I remember right the repcos were made in Australia. I worked at a Repco WD for 13 years.The Glyco box pictured above is definitely Standard crank, .020 case........which is the normal first cut. The Pre A and early A porsche guys covet the .010 [std for them]and .020 oversize. 6 months ago a fair price on a set of 36hp align bore bearings would be between 120 and 150.00 dollars....more for larger oversizes. I was just able to save a 25 hp with a .040 case , .080 thrust set of bearings that I have been saving for years. I stashed all of the sets in the 80s when no one cared, in fact my employer of the time gave me his entire stock. These larger sizes are the ones to look for as most 36ers [if they need it at all] need at least an .020 align bore and a slight thrust cut. Severely worn 36hp and pre a motors can be saved with them. I custom cut the thrust bearing for just the amount it takes to clean the case up allowing for another cut or 2 in another 50 years.........

Thanks Volksworker..... and the 25hp runs just fine.. Smile Lots of power.... I stand corrected.. they are align bore bearings... I am ashamed..but the box threw me.... Smile I defer to my brothers vast knowledge.

9/1950 Hoffman Standard
11/1966 Porsche 912
10/1966 Porsche 912
10/1958 Type 117
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you might know the other possibility to rework the engine case is to make surface cut between the case halves. It can also make only right side half of the case. Normally cutting total 0.30 mm. After cut, all bores is aligned to be STD size. Then is possible to use bearings of overdia STD size and cam boring coming new again. Trust bearing is changed to thicker one and case cut according it.

I just made that for my April 1951 case. Nice to have new cam bore.
volksworker
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Machining the case half is an option and I will do it if the cam bore is bad. However since the cam bore is rarely worn past specs on a 36 it usually isnt necessary. Now, when they went to 40 hp and increased valve spring pressure and redsigned the lifter bores , cam bore wear became a problem.[which is why 40hps always suffer from flickering oil light syndrome] VW adressed this by machining 40hp cases for cam bearings. I certainly would not use the planing method if I could use oversize mains as it does change the actual width of the motor. Its also a one time process and wont clean up a really bad case like the one I just saved. If I remember correctly you have to remachine the flywheel seal and cam plug bore also which is very tedious. I guess the point is you have to measure and check cam bores for wear and know the facts. VW used that method in their case rebuilding program so its certainly an option. However few cores met their tough specs and they discontinued the program in like 72. The thrust is still not addressed without an oversize thrust bearing but its nice to know you can save a bad cam bore case with that method. Its interesting to note that VW never sanctioned any remachining of their engine cases untill very late on using align bore equipment. I wonder who actually introduced the align bore bearings to the market? ......It may of been Repco that actually marketed those oversize bearings first.........anyway..........40 bucks for 25/36 hp align bore bearings is a great deal....................
73 Thing original
57 MGA 1500 Coupe
71 K20 Suburban 3dr
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've got .10 line bore bearings in glyco' k/s 'and metal leve. who say's only repco made them? my 2 cents
steve
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
virtanen
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here pictures of my engine case after seam cutting. 0.30 mm machined on the right side case. All bores machined to STD size. Fitted special VW NOS repairing fly wheel end bearing for axial wear of the case.

nlorntson
Crazy VW Lady

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine main bearing set for line bored case Reply with quote

Where is a good place to find 36hp bearings these days? It seems all the usual vendors are out of the size I need.

STD crank and 60.50mm /.020" (first cut) on the case.

Also am I correct in thinking the part number for these is 111 198 451?
sgmalt46
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine main bearing set for line bored case Reply with quote

111 198 451 is std case. std. crank. you need 111 198 451/50 . cip1 shows they have them.
66 beetle
71 square back (sold) ! good luck with it Henry!
46 beetle 552nd royal army service corps CCG
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Beetle - Split-Window/1938-53 VWs All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: