Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

replacing fuel filter...only 6 months old
Page: 1, 2  Next
Forum Index -> Vanagon Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:50 pm    Post subject: replacing fuel filter...only 6 months old Reply with quote

Well, my van is hesitating like it did 6 months ago when I had to replace the fuel filter....acting the same way. Is this a sign my tank is full of crap?
RCB
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats possible but the way gas is being sold and the stations tanks are being refilled Im wondering if its the stations junk crud and crap fouling your fuel filter.
Do you have both the small square filter and the steel cannister type filter?
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have the small filter. i know this is part of my problem. i have wordered about the gas quality. my van started to act up after filling up at the same UniMart....they use Mobil fuel I believe....but that doesn't say anything about the condition of their storage tanks.

the previous owner replaced the fuel pump (cheap aftermarket) and filters (he for some reason removed the small filter).
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the gas tank has never been down, then chances are strong that you have junk in the gas tank.

Either get used to replacing the fuel filters every 5 to 6 months, or buy the "kit" from GoWesty and remove the tank and have it cleaned and sealed.

You'll be good for another 20 years.

Past VW drives: 1967 Beetle, 1973 Beetle, 1977 Bus, 1971 Military Type 181
msinabottle
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Go to Both, and Then... Reply with quote

Reinstall the small plastic filter--it's easy, it's cheap, and overkill is way, way better than underkill. Replace the other filter... AND...

Get thou thy Hacksaw. Cutteth thou thy remove-ed cannister so thou might its internals expose unto the light.

Be they RED?

Then, alas the day, is thy tank rusted quite, and shalt thou have to replace or coat (In sooth, this counsel I despise) the same. And thy fuel pump is like to have been vex-ed sorely. Search thou, there is a procedure for its cleaning.

Besteth!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something I suggest from personal experience after much problems with my tank too (crap in it, leaks, etc)
Since I'm too frugal to spend the $$$ the 'big boys' want for a tank, I found this site, got one and couldn't be happier.
Have to admit I did sand the cheap paint off, 2 coats of rust-killer primer and 3 coats of enamel before putting it in...
Looks like they only have tanks for 2wd and for some reason they only show to '86, didn't think they changed the tank design that much except for the early large / later small filler hole

Can't beat the price for a new tank... $105 plus shipping
(I know the only local radiator shop that does tank cleaning and sealing wants a 'C-note' for their services.... seemed like a 'no-brainer' to me...)
http://discountgastanks.com/search/?/VOLKSWAGEN/1986/VANAGON/index.htm

Last edited by 82WestyMan on Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
hiram6
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went through the fuel filter/pump/rust dance a few months back. My advice? Don't bother trying to clean and reseal the tank. Replace it. Pure and simple.

If you see the inside of the tank, it becomes obvious that completely coating the inside with a sealing substance in nerar to impossible. The actual fuel tank pick up is in the center of the tank in a pie plate depression in the center of the tank. This depression is underneath a metal shield that has only a few cut-outs for the fuel to get through to the pick-up area. You would have to get any sealant into this area, and at the same time not gum up the openings.

Just get a new tank, a new set of seals for the venting tubes, new fuel filters, and new fuel lines. And be done with it.

You can't lie around on the beach and drink rum all day.................unless you start first thing in the morning.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, after work yesterday I stopped and bought a new filter. The drive home was a little better but the noise from my fuel pump was becoming very audible.....flash forward 12 hrs. later when I tried to drive to work this morning and.....hesitate sputter sputter up to 30mph and then dead. the fuel pump was very audible and making varying unhealthy sounds...its being towed as I write this......more money, BUT ONE LESS THING TO WORRY ABOUT. Confused
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the pump intake is filled with crud, and the impeller is cavitating. There should be a filter screen within the intake nipple that you could blow out. Having the cube prefilter is a must if you're struggling with a cruddy tank. Of course the metal afterfilter is the most important, as a set of injectors costs twice what a new pump does. But if tank crud is part of your personal nightmare, the belt-and-suspenders approach is what you should be doing.

I agree completely with the others; after seeing the internal construction of these tanks, cleaning/recoating is clearly a fool's errand. Get a new one and all the goodies and put it right. Meantime, belt and suspenders.

Please don't PM here, I will not reply.

Experience is kryptonite to doctrine.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
ValleyHappy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. I'm having a new pump and pre filter put on the van today. It really is a task I could handle myself but having 2 kids in diapers and a spouse that works evenings, well I would need to 7 to 10 days and I need my wheels. I'm definately going to look into the link provided by 82WM. I was already wondering if I should replace the tank this winter....no need to wonder any longer i guess.

vex-ed sorely it was
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... great idea... and the below "Fuel Delivery Insurance Policy"
.... way cheaper than the parts it will protect ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

tortuga
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

82WestyMan wrote:
... great idea... and the below "Fuel Delivery Insurance Policy"
.... way cheaper than the parts it will protect ...

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

What kind of filter are you using (the round one)? I have been wanting to do this to my van as all I have currently is the cube.
pdunn13445
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Just personal experience Reply with quote

I can tell when the cube fuel filter needs replacement as in hot driving the pump starts making noise. Replacing every six months sounds appropriate. Two years ago I thought I would try one of the canisters and it lasted six months, too. Go figure? Never a problem with injectors on the 1.9 WBX, and I check them yearly. Sorry, but I don't have a lot of money to throw at things like this and cannot afford to be a perfectionist. Those cube filters are cheap so use them?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Classifieds Feedback
82WestyMan
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tortuga wrote
Quote:
What kind of filter are you using (the round one)? I have been wanting to do this to my van as all I have currently is the cube.

partsamerica is the online arm of advance auto parts
i'm sure they very available either from your FLAPS or most any online parts distributer
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductList.aspx?parttype=4&ptset=A&searchfor=Fuel+Filter
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tencentlife wrote:
.....I agree completely with the others; after seeing the internal construction of these tanks, cleaning/recoating is clearly a fool's errand. Get a new one and all the goodies and put it right. Meantime, belt and suspenders.

I agree with the opinion that a new part, in this case a gas tank, should be used to replace the old rusty one. However, I have had to use 'KLEEN" products on gas tanks where a new replacement was not available. I own a 1971 Military 181, and when I removed it to remove spoiled gas (from being in storage by a previous owner), it was caked with old gas and rust. A new tank could not be had. I used nuts and bolts along with a gallon of carb cleaner, swooshed this around for several minutes, then drained. I then used a cleaner ('KLEEN") sold for use in motorcycle tanks (used this on several old Indian and Harley vintage bikes where replacement tanks were unavailable), then a sealer. In all cases, the tanks came out great, and were reinstalled with good success.

Again, not a debate against using a new tank. This is the best option; but when a replacement tank is not an option, then there are products that clean and seal gas tanks with good results. Certainly not a "fools errand" to keep a vintage vehicle running when a new part is unavailable.

tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fine and dandy. But this type of tank, being flat, has internal windage baffling that has some very small cavities where the pump pickup lives, and an internal pickup screen that pretty well guarantees that cleaning and recoating isn't going to make for a very good repair, in my opinion. I think it's probably bits of the pickup screen that comprise most of what's ending up in peoples' prefilters and pumps, as well as rust flakes. Most tanks have internal windage baffling, but nothing like what's needed in this broad, flat tank.

Of course this is also a matter of degrees. Some tanks have a small amount of corrosion due to having had some water settle near the bottom, and once the water is gone and replaced with gasoline, the corrosion is held at bay and you can deal with the small amounts of freed particles by using filters. Others are so far gone there is no sensible remedy but to replace the tank complete. I would say if you have to replace your prefilter twice a year, yours is firmly in the latter category. Money or no money, it's your choice how to deal with it, but simple replacement is the permanent fix.

kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just to throw my 2 cents in

I bought a new filter and less that 100 miles it went bad...sometimes new parts go bad

I carry extra filters in the van..their easy to change

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
tencentlife
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just curious: how did it "go bad". There are plenty of faulty parts on the shelves. Could you be more specific?

kayakwesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
how did it "go bad". There are plenty of faulty parts on the shelves

I cut it open and the filter material failed.

B.5.5 Passat Wagen with 30v V6-67000 Miles

DAS AUTO

CHANGE YOUR FUEL LINES!

A post without pictures is useless

http://www.kayakwesty.com

http://www.waldensridgewhitewater.com/
bucko
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kayakwesty wrote:
Quote:
how did it "go bad". There are plenty of faulty parts on the shelves

I cut it open and the filter material failed.

Still lost. how does the filter material "fail"??? Was it clogged with junk? If so, it was doing it's job.

Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Vanagon All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: