Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Lowest milage on a Bay
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:59 am    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
It does make my heart go pitter patter when these old VW's reappear out of a garage or barn. There is nothing like the originality of an unaltered VW from when it was new.

Bingo.

I can only imagine the thrill of finding an actual "barn find" - a rare model tucked back in the corner behind a mountain of junk, forgotten under a layer of dust, just waiting to be revived.

BUT, I have been lucky to own two "garage find" buses that were just stored, ignored, and never driven. The first, when I was 17 in 1993 and recently another, coincidentally both 75' Westys. And both had a similar story: Original owner bought it as a family vacation toy, used it a bit for camping trips through the 80s, kids grew up and he parked it, drove it around the driveway once a year, he grew old enough (or died), and the wife decided to sell that thing, no concept of it's significance or the "VW Community", posted an ad in the local classified (now Craigslist), and I was smart or lucky enough to be close by and the first one to grab it.

I wonder how many more are out there, hidden away? I suspect, not many.
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

cheesecrackers75 wrote:

I wonder how many more are out there, hidden away? I suspect, not many.

I think only a small portion of the people who own classic VW's today participate on The Samba or other internet VW forums. I'd suspect there's still a few original VW buses, bugs or other air cooled VW's stuffed in garages. Like you said, many now senior citizens in their 70's or older still have one in the garage or the barn.

When I'm out and about in my VW's, I usually get a retired person coming up and sharing their VW stories or that they say they still have one in the garage. Most have never heard of this site and most are not very computer savy.

We can only hope that when these kinds of original, low mileage VW's are found in the future, that we get to see the pics!

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
RichOakley
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

I have just found a delivery mileage '74. Odometer reads double digits, more info to follow.
1957 RHD Pitt-Moto Type 2 Camper
1959 RHD Beetle
1966 RHD Type 3 Fastback
1976 RHD Sun Beetle
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

Just found this one here in WNY. Barn find from Arizona stored 15 years. except for battery tray zero rot. There is a tread with more pics. OD shows 46,000 could be one flip however interior was redone so it's hard to tell.
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

RichOakley wrote:
I have just found a delivery mileage '74. Odometer reads double digits, more info to follow.

Looking forward to it Wink
78' Dakota Beige Westy. “Skills” EJ25 engine conversion w/ zero mile factory short block, Delta 1000 cams, heater core and modified Gilmore AC. Matt Steedle 091 transaxle upgrade w/ 4.14 ring and pinion, Folts aluminum gear carrier. General Grabber AT2s on stock wheels. Solar powered aux battery w/ inverter.
Alan Brase
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

cheesecrackers75 wrote:

Even without 50 years of documentation, it’s easy to determine when these ultra low mileage buses are genuine. A 82K bus vs. an identical one that's 182K would have detectable and obvious differences in wear and tear throughout, and the 82K bus would have a high content of NLA original factory parts and markings that no expert restorer could duplicate.

The reason I became interested is that I recently came to possess a 75’ Westy with 39,000 on the odometer and was skeptical... till I saw it. Having never seen one with almost zero wear and tear on it before, it’s pretty mind opening as to what “factory correct” really is, and very obvious the miles are genuine. Seeing all the original VW parts and everything unmolested after almost 50 years is fascinating to me and I was just wondering how many bus owners have shared that experience recently.

I love Tcash’s thread because its like a time capsule gallery of these increasingly rare unmolested survivors that are really a benchmark reference for restorations for decades to come. (How many times have you been looking at some clever "improvements" that a PO made and thought to yourself 'I wonder what's SUPPOSED to be there?') Besides the fiches and scans of vintage ads and brochures, these still-original buses are all we have to determine how they came from the factory. I dig that shit!

You are absolutely right about that! In the case of my 76 Riviera, the engine had never been previously removed. EVERY washer was still on every bolt or stud as from the factory, NO cheesy crimps on the terminals, every hose clamp and hose correct. The 2nd short time (flipper, maybe?) owner had made a lame attempt to remove the fuel tank and done a bit of damage, but as work progressed, I came to realize how untouched it was. And of course, formed the question in my mind, "why did the owner stop driving this 30 years ago?" And the answer, as it often is with these: double relay failed.
Yes, I did take a LOT of pictures.
Somewhere...
Al
To New owners: 1969 doublecab, 1971 Dormobile
Vanagons:
80 P27 Westy JUL 1979, 3rd oldest known US
83 1.6TD Vanagon, 87 Wolfie Westy daily driver, swap meet home
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

cheesecrackers75 wrote:
HelmutofBuffalo wrote:
I know of a one owner (have seen it with my own eyes) 1972 Westy here in WNY with 24,000 original miles. Looks and smells "showroom" even has the paper service mats from dealer !

Do you know how to get in touch with that guy? I’d like to know more about it. 24K is the lowest yet.

OK Guys and Ladies I went back to see "Joe" and he was gracious enough to let me take photos of his 1972 Westy with 19,287 original miles. On the condition no one bothers him about it. He has his plans. Please respect this and don't try to locate him. You can talk to me and I will relay messages. "Joe" will be watching this forum so please be kind. I have been involved with VWs since 1974 and worked at the dealer where this Bus was purchased. That undercoat line was just how they (I) did it in those days. I looked closely and this Bus is too clean not to have this kind of mileage and I believe the owner is a Gentleman and would not claim this if it were not true. Here are the pictures , judge for yourself.

whatdoesthisbuttondo?
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

Super cool! So fresh looking...
alman72
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

damn. I believe. nice find
jtauxe Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

That's the sort of bus where every little detail needs to be document (You got a lot!) for posterity.

I know of 3 buses in my town that are owned by "little old ladies" who were the original owner but no longer drive them.

I recently got one of them, a 1972 Sportsmobile.

There is also a 1974 Westy that has been sitting in a carport for at least 20 yr, and there is a nice 11-window turquoise 1963 camper, too. Well, it was near perfect, with only 35,000 miles on it, until a tree limb fell on it. She should have sold it to me! Rolling Eyes
1969 Transporter, 1971 Westfalia, 1976, 1977, 1976, 1977, 1971, 1973, 1977 Westfalias,
1979 Champagne Sunroof, 1974 Westfalia Automatic, 1979 Transporter, 1972 Sportsmobile, 1973 Transporter Wild Westerner, 1974 Westfalia parts bus
, 1975 Mexican single cab *FOR SALE*, 1978 Irish 4-door double cab RHD
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Gallery Classifieds Feedback
mfemenel
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

Purchased my '79 with 86k 3 years ago. Not quite at 90k now. Yes I can document that, it's not a rollover.
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

Wow!, thanks for sharing that Helmut, what a nice bus (aside from that undercoating Razz ). That does that sticker on the LR window say?

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
wcfvw69 Premium Member
Samba Purist

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:
Wow!, thanks for sharing that Helmut, what a nice bus (aside from that undercoating Razz ). That does that sticker on the LR window say?

Exactly. I would of been PISSED if I went to pick up my bus up and saw where they cut in the undercoating. Shocked

Beautiful survivor for sure.

Decades of VW and VW parts restoration experience.
The Samba member since 2004.

**Now rebuilding throttle bodies for VW's and Porsche's**
**Restored German Bosch distributors for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored German Pierburg fuel pumps for sale or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche fuel pumps or I can restore yours**
**Restored Porsche distributors or I can restore yours**
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

wcfvw69 wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Exactly. I would of been PISSED if I went to pick up my bus up and saw where they cut in the undercoating. Shocked

Beautiful survivor for sure.

I worked in the Body Shop at Kelly's where I did that to several Buses as their policy (once it was done Customer was on hook for extra cost). I hated the crap, sprayed it out of a 55 gal drum and took about a day to cure. Ruined many a bus 'round here because it eventually flaked and water w/ salt would get in and a year later, no more rockers etc. Even worse was the honey like "rustproofing" they came out with a couple years later. Required drilling holes in doors, rockers etc. Now the exposed steel around the hole (with plastic plug) would be a starting point for rust Rolling Eyes
Saw many of the first rabbits dissolve because of this in the 1970s.
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

busdaddy wrote:

Cleaned it up best I could maybe some one is better at photo
shop. Appears to be emissions related.

wihr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

I may have close to the most miles. I have a '70 Campmobile that my father picked up on tourist delivery in Frankfurt that has 386,000 miles. I have watched the odometer "flip " three times.

WW

1970 Campmobile "Van Ordinaire"
2009 Lincoln Town Car "Behemoth"
1969 Lambretta 150 DL "Nina"
1962 Matchless G 12 CS 650cc
busdaddy
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

HelmutofBuffalo wrote:
busdaddy wrote:

Cleaned it up best I could maybe some one is better at photo
shop. Appears to be emissions related.

Cool!, still not quite completely readable, but it does look like an emission compliance sticker. If you could get a better pic next time you visit as well as see if it's on the outside or inside that would be great, don't piss off the owner, but it's something I've never seen before, I wondered why early buses didn't have the sticker in the decklid or on the shroud, there it is! Now I need to have one since I thought all the odd things to know about 72/73 buses had already been covered, it's neat to find another little useless detail.

As for the undercoat I'm sure it was a great idea at the time, especially in the climate there, fugly as it is it seems to have done the job. The alternative is much worse.

Please don't PM technical questions, ask your problem in public so everyone can play along. If you think it's too stupid post it here
Stop dead photo links! Post your photos to The Samba Gallery!

Слава Україні!
Abscate
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:42 am    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

Helmet, you probably worked on some if our VWs in the 60-70-80

We gave up on Amendola up in Niagara Falls and started going to Kelly's until the kids got of age to start working on them ourselves

Eventually Knaebe opened up R&B motors and they got our business

Marco Knaebe ( son) stills runs RB in NF last I checked
Squeeze Cheese
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

Wow Helmut, that 72' is what this thread is all about! When you see that like-new condition there's no doubt that the odometer is the real deal. Your photos are like an archaeological study. Super valuable for people interested in what is "correct". Don't we all wish aftermarket parts suppliers had access to a bus like this to model for making make accurate reproductions?

This guy will be able to retire off this thing!
HelmutofBuffalo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:32 am    Post subject: Re: Lowest milage on a Bay Reply with quote

"This guy will be able to retire off this thing!"
I don't believe he has to worry about that, life looks good.
But as long as we are on the subject. What are everyone's opinions as to value ?
I have looked at the classifieds and see premo Bay Buses in the 50 to 60K range. I am guessing this one to be worth possibly 25% more ?? Opinions please.
When I spoke with owner he does not have a lot of service records as it was rarely serviced after the first couple years. I suggested he start a diary for the Bus. When he got it, where he took it , when it was stored, etc., so there is a record. He agreed. Maybe, I believe he is watching this Forum, he will join theSamba and use this page to tell the Bus's full story.

Abscate, I am not familiar with R&B motors. Where were they located? Although Marco sounds familiar.
I was in the body shop at Kelly's from 11/74 to 1/77. I went downtown to Somogyi (formerly Butler VW) just in time for blizzard of '77.
From there I went on to restorations on Mercedes-Benz.

A rare license plate frame sticker from short lived dealership.
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Bay Window Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: