Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

thing heater channel?
Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
lifeisgoodin29
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject: thing heater channel? Reply with quote

Hi, Have any of you ever put a heater duct into the rocker panel of a thing? I was thinking about doing this to mine when I replace the rockers on mine. It would be like on the ww2 kubelwagens. Any ideas or suggestions?
kubelmann
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much support metal inside and no room. I have seriously considered using the foam covered copper HVAC pipe with a PVC cover to protect the foam along the bottoms of the interior rocker panels. You could include vents with pet cocks for defrost, front and rear heat.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
alex77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this post is old

i was looking for info about the rocker panels and came across this one
I thought to do it on my thing because i have some ideas on how to do it

my thing is a 73 and when i got it the gas heater was mising
i was gonna sell my thing but decided not to sell it and start to work on it.

so since my rockers are rusted in the corners i would use my rusted doors to get the patch panels from them

as for the heater channel inside the rocker i thought on using some 1 1/2 or 2 inch round pipe or the 2x2 aquare tubing

i also know that the rockers have a reinforcment inside but since they are probably rusted so the heater chanel would work as a reinforcment

this is just an idea that i have so its on the drawing table

i could use something like this in order to use beetle heater boxes

http://www2.cip1.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=VWC-111-255-415-F

and modify the pan to use heater levers

what do you guys think

again this is an idea that i have
NOVA Airhead
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the fabrication skills you could build a heater channel.

I could see a heater channel for floor heat with the tubes down the center for the defrost like on a '74. The heater channels would provide better heat distribution and you could still control it all with the stock controls.

Someone on the Ghia forum is replacing their stock heater channel with 2X3 stock. I could see this being done on a Thing and fabricating the rockers around it.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I like the heater channels (tubes) right along side the tunnel (I have a 74). They turn the tunnel into a big radiator.
alex77
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well mine is a 73 so it doesnt have any control levers for the heater so the heater woulb be some sort of beetle/ghia hybrid
Casa208
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had heater channels welded to the center tunnel, made of boxed 2x4 with vents put inby my feet. The original controls turn it on and off and divert for defrosting. I got it back form the welder at the end of this winter. The last 4 weeks have been very warm in my thing. I also added z hard top and that holds the heat better than the soft top. I,LL see if I can post some pictures tomorrow.
Semper_Dad
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alex77 wrote:
well mine is a 73 so it doesnt have any control levers for the heater so the heater woulb be some sort of beetle/ghia hybrid

Levers would be easy to install. Does a 73's tunnel even have the heater cables tubes on the transmission horns or under the seat? If not,then you could rig up a encased cables (like a manual choke, or hood release) to open the heater boxes or control the flappers.

This is where the heater cable exit the frame to control the heater boxes. (Right lever)
Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

Couldn't find a picture of the cable exit under the rear seat that controls cabin/defrost (left lever)

Another alternative would be to use box tubing in conjuction with a lift kit.
[email protected] Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did this to my 73 and used both types of heat. basically I just ran the 74 heater tubes up the middle. and ended it at the front seats. I used a sock to control the heat. I had the heater boxes wired open all the time and if it got too warm, just put a sock in it or take one out if got too cold...I just used standard size heater hoses too to save money. i just put the heater hoses inside the heat duct instead of outside of them. one length of heater hose was enough to bring the heat to the front. I used the gas heater mainly as defrost.
73 frames do not have provisions for heater cables btw
CALL 518 630 0173
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Facebook Gallery Classifieds Feedback
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Thing/Type 181 All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: