Hello! Log in or Register   |  Help  |  Donate  |  Buy Shirts See all banner ads | Advertise on TheSamba.com  
TheSamba.com

Westy rack differences
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Forum Index -> Split Bus Share: Facebook Twitter
Reply to topic
Quick sort: Show newest posts on top | Show oldest posts on top View previous topic :: View next topic  
onemorodeo
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

I am looking to re-assemble my 1966 Westfalia rack. The previous owner had taken it apart and lost most/all of the hardware. I have the clamps, but need all the bolts/screws to re-assemble. Does anyone have a good source for these? Also, what type/finish was the hardware originally? Thanks!
harlowr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

thanks for the information. not sure what I'm going to do with it wont fit my bus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
von_hansel Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2023 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Hi Harlowr,
Brandon aka Oakman had a very similar rack. His was a 62-65 rack with one tag, single screw, and had an SO42 big table leg that is ribbed, that is also used as a ladder bar.

The only difference was the table leg ends were bent over the rack leg as seen in the pics below.

Image may have been reduced in size. Click image to view fullscreen.

harlowr
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2023 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Hi just pick up this rack, it's 52.5in long and about 11 3/8 high and uses the later clamps, one tag. Also looks like it has the ladder support bar. Would this be a 62 to 64 rack?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Gallery Classifieds Feedback
matthew henricks
Samba Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

If i missed this somewhere in the thread i apologize.

What was the purpose of the slope in the early rack and why was it ditched?

Ambulance Fan's. https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=627707&highlight=

Parts i am looking for:
64 bug nice used front/rear Black LHD floor mat.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Blue Baron wrote:

This is like my rack; a little longer than the later ones.
BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2023 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

earlywesty wrote:
nathan3 wrote:
BarryL wrote:
nathan3 wrote:
Hi all,
Anyone own a '61/early '62 rack? I need measurements of a bow.. I found a stash of early bows, but they are all different sizes..

What are you needing?

I need measurements of a '61/early '62 rack bow. Non sloper so the bows should be the same size im assuming.

I think he needs height. Yes, they are all the same height. Unfortunately I dont have any from that era to measure unless they are the same height as the front bow on a sloper.

Using the same method as Lind I got 10 1/2" on all three bows of my '62 Westy Rack. It's possible my bows started out the same as the high bow on the Sloper and heavy loads pushed it down. Anyway they are all 10 1/2" now.
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

nathan3 wrote:
BarryL wrote:
nathan3 wrote:
Hi all,
Anyone own a '61/early '62 rack? I need measurements of a bow.. I found a stash of early bows, but they are all different sizes..

What are you needing?

I need measurements of a '61/early '62 rack bow. Non sloper so the bows should be the same size im assuming.

I think he needs height. Yes, they are all the same height. Unfortunately I dont have any from that era to measure unless they are the same height as the front bow on a sloper.
nathan3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2023 12:56 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

BarryL wrote:
nathan3 wrote:
Hi all,

What are you needing?

BarryL Premium Member
Samba Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2023 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

nathan3 wrote:
Hi all,

What are you needing?
nathan3
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2023 10:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Hi all,
Lind
Samba Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2022 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

I pulled out a couple racks to get some details and comparison.

The rear bow of a sloped rack sits at the same height as all the bows on a bay window rack. Around 9.5 inches of clearance in the middle. Everything else is already pretty well covered in this topic.

Bay rack:

low side of sloped rack:

high side of sloped rack:

VWoA literature and early dealership or distributor literature/pictures/information
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2022 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Thanks all for the clarifications. I contacted Everett to update the first post
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

BulliBill wrote:
I just heard from a buddy that he sold his pristine, almost NOS Westy roof rack (I think '64-'67 version) for $2,500.00 this week. Are nice original racks getting this much nowadays? Damn I'm rich! I've got two pretty nice ones!

Bill

Totally forgot to reply to this as I'm the one who bought this rack from Tom. After the decades in storage, it now looks great on my garage wall! LOL. But it will actually get used from time to time on my deluxe, so if anyone needs more details let me know.
turkis-deluxe
Samba Security

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
The main discrepancy I am wanting to resolve is that it sounds like 45.?" Is the measurement and the compiled information post at the beginning of the thread is stating that it is 46+". An 1/8" or 1/4" variation could be expected but an inch seems like a lot.

Thats correct.45.5" - 45 5/8".

My original unrestored and in very good condition SO42 rack is 45-5/8".
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Okie Adam wrote:
The main discrepancy I am wanting to resolve is that it sounds like 45.?" Is the measurement and the compiled information post at the beginning of the thread is stating that it is 46+". An 1/8" or 1/4" variation could be expected but an inch seems like a lot.

Thats correct.45.5" - 45 5/8".
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Instagram Gallery Classifieds Feedback
earlywesty
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

srfndoc wrote:
Just measured my OG poptop rack hanging in the rafters - 45.5" long for the slats.

That post I made back in 2014 was information found from another thread but pretty sure that's incorrect now.

Interesting. I just measured 5 loose slats I had. All 5 were 45 5/8".
srfndoc
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

Just measured my OG poptop rack hanging in the rafters - 45.5" long for the slats.

That post I made back in 2014 was information found from another thread but pretty sure that's incorrect now.
Okie Adam
Samba Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2022 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Westy rack differences Reply with quote

buseric wrote:
Okie Adam wrote:
I'm still confused because now both of the rack measurements you are giving sound like the bows are further apart than the wood is long on their respective rack.

wood 45 5/8"
bow 45 7/8"

wood 45 1/2"
bow 45 3/4"

Like sled mentioned, it is well known that the wood overhangs the bows so how do you have two racks where the bows are further apart than the wood is long?

Obviously those measurements are incorrect. The wood is longer than the bow spacing. And he mentioned the wood has been replaced on both so using those measurements would be incorrect anyway. Also if he is measuring the metal bows at the bottom they could easily be flared or twisted since they are not mounted to a bus and thus not true/square.

I have some loose original so42 slats that og European beech I can measure tonight.

That'd be great to get some measurements of some OG wood so we can officially get the compiled info post updated
62 Single Cab
66 21window
67 so42
76 Westy
64 Karmann Ghia
Reply to topic    Forum Index -> Split Bus All times are Mountain Standard Time/Pacific Daylight Savings Time
Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15  Next
Jump to:
Page 1 of 15

Jump to: